Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-27-2016, 09:54 PM

Default coyote pelt

hi everyone. great pics! im new to the forum and not trying to hijack the thread but i'm looking to get my hands on a coyote pelt to use for a bunting bag (expecting our first wee-man at the end of the month) i live in the calgary area and would like to do it locally instead of ordering one online. if some one could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.
Happy trapping out there!
Old 12-27-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
That really hurts .. We got lucky with our bunch today and had nothing damaged , see what tomorrow brings at the new spot . Here's our lucky haul from one bait today .

That's a great haul. I've gone a week now with no action at a bait set. Ravens but no dogs. Lots of bait. Just hauled out another roadkill today so hopefully next check. What's a typical number at one bait location? I'm 1 mile into the bush and only caught 8 there so far. Not sure if I should set up another bait station elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2016, 10:35 PM

Camdec I've found it varies myself. My best on one bait was 32 and worst was 6 last year.

I'd start another bait if you have the snares,bait and time. That's just my rookie opinion though.

Average would be around 15 for me.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
Camdec I've found it varies myself. My best on one bait was 32 and worst was 6 last year.

I'd start another bait if you have the snares,bait and time. That's just my rookie opinion though.

Average would be around 15 for me.
Thanks for the reply TFNG. I've really been hoping the wolves would show up but no luck so far. How many bait sites you run in a season? I need to use a quad/skidoo where I'm at to check so am thinking if targeting coyotes that I may have to stay closer to the farmland.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:55 PM

I would definitely set up an easier to get to bait for coyotes as well as keeping your existing one. (Who wouldn't want to catch a wolf!) I think having a couple baits going keeps a steady catch of coyotes coming in, when one bait is cold another picks up. A dry spell a week long is nothing to worry about. I'm running 4 baits right now. I ran 6 last year. I've had as many 9 going in other years but some never really worked out very well. It does seem that some produce better than others and those are the ones I concentrate on first. If you can get permission on a ranchers dead pit you've hit the jackpot!

I won't set bait where I can't drive my truck to, just my preference. I like to keep it simple since I often check after work. I can check many of my snares from the truck with a flashlight. I'd likely catch more if I set more snares but I catch enough to keep me plenty busy.

Last edited by Tfng; 12-28-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
That's a great haul. I've gone a week now with no action at a bait set. Ravens but no dogs. Lots of bait. Just hauled out another roadkill today so hopefully next check. What's a typical number at one bait location? I'm 1 mile into the bush and only caught 8 there so far. Not sure if I should set up another bait station elsewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the catch rate at a given site can vary greatly . 22 at this spot so far , caught 23 there last year .Averaging a dog a day at the good one . We are running 3 sites , closest are 2 miles apart . The way we decided on our spots , other than brush to set in , was we set in our 2 best calling places , seems we always could pull a dog or 2 out of them to the call . Dont call them any more so we dont train any to stay away . An easy place to check is sure an asset , but not a luxury I have in my country , no way I would want to check mine in the dark .Like Tfng said , some sites are just plain better than others so those are the ones we concentrate on . Got a new spot going now that might be a good one for years to come .
Old 12-28-2016, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
Once my bait sites slow down I start a new one somewhere else. I figure that if the coyotes aren't coming to the bait, it's best to take the bait to them. My first two sites this season are like that now. Since the snow there hasn't been a single track anywhere. One site only produced 6 coyotes but the other one produced about 15. Typically I find that things slow down after trapping the 7 or 8 locals but that's obviously not always the case.

I would walk the perimeter about 50 yards back around the bait site and check for tracks and set snares on sign. Sometimes they'll come in to investigate but will hang back and not commit to coming into the bait. I'd leave my snares up but stop adding bait and I'd start a new bait site somewhere else. With a roadkill I'd hang snares right away instead of pre-baiting because they'll devour that deer (?) in one night.

Don't forget about blind sets. With this fresh snow you can find trails that are frequently traveled and check your snares on the way to your bait site. I picked up two from four snares like that yesterday. I hope that this helps.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:43 PM

If you catch one of these in the coyote snare is it an accidental catch
http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5866f0ec...30_160016.jpg?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2016, 04:47 PM

Didn't quite get there before the eagle

Old 12-30-2016, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Didn't quite get there before the eagle

sew job nice yote and fox Cam
Old 01-02-2017, 05:44 PM

You were right Peter a few stitches and he looks pretty good . I figured this storm and cold snap would help out , 5 coyotes today .
Old 01-02-2017, 06:53 PM

The coyotes seem to be moving pretty good haven't had bait in two weeks spence my source takes two weeks at Christmas off. Picked up 11 after work today and only checked half my baits. Was pretty happy with that. Still no more foxs.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:03 AM
Banned

I pretty much spent the last week in the skinning shack with no time to hang additional snares. Now, thanks to my lovely Daughter, I caught her flu and although I feel weak and dizzy, I still have work that has to be done in there.

I usually work longer hours when required to get my fur put up in order to keep on top of things but I only want to do what is absolutely necessary today. I have two thawed coyotes that need to be skinned (that will be done) and four pelts rolled up on the cold shed floor that need fleshing. With the other two that'll make six total.

Can anyone give me any guidance as to how long those rolled pelts will be good for before they start slipping? The floor must be about 5 degrees or so (?) and the shed about 10 degrees. Will the pelts last a day or two on the floor or should I freeze them until I'm sure that I can put them up? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:28 PM

There's no shame in freezing a few when you get behind Dave. At least not in my eyes. I'd rather concentrate on catching them when they're in the best shape myself. There's lots of time to put them up in February when they get rubbed up particularly with the late last receiving date this year.

They don't take long to thaw.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:38 PM

Not too sure on how long they will last rolled up but I would error on the side of caution for sure. Inside that roll could get warm in 10C atmosphere. I freeze mine until I have 10 or so, then thaw and put up. I only catch 10 or so a week so one batch comes off the boards and the next goes on. Like TFNG say, leaves the week open for catching and some family time.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:55 PM
Banned

Yup, freeze it is then. I can be easily talked into not doing much today......lol.

I think that I may start doing what you fellas are doing. Thanks.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Yup, freeze it is then. I can be easily talked into not doing much today......lol.

I think that I may start doing what you fellas are doing. Thanks.
No shame in freezing em Dave , take care of yourself , lots of season left . I admire all you guys that do your own fur put up , it truly is an art when done correctly .. and alot of work .
Old 01-05-2017, 07:36 AM

Been getting hit hard with mange this last week all of a sudden. Since Sunday 8 coyotes of which 4 had mange one really bad. One other with pink belly and some thinning guard hair but ok so he got skinned. This is on all three baits I'm currently running about 45km apart north to south. Frustrating to say the least but at least I'm picking them off I guess.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:28 PM

Had my first with mange yesterday, body was fine but a strip in middle of tail missing . Sledders are out now ,so I shut one bunch of hard to get too snares so I don't donate any coyotes .

Old 01-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Banned

Finally felt well enough to do checks today. Caught three but one with mites and lost one to birds (non repairable). Still light headed and weak so the bad coyotes stayed put. Kinda relieved that I didn't have to carry them out.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:48 PM

I give up, way too miserable today. Checked one bait got two. I spent more time thawing my hands out in the truck than I did setting.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:38 PM
Banned

If your weather was anything like ours you're a lot more hardcore than I am! :

Cold, high winds and snow......a good old blizzard at times. The wind actually blew a semi trailer over on the Hwy near here. I'll be hanging snares and adjusting others in the upcoming milder weather.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:47 PM

Yeah they closed a couple highways in the area. Pretty darn miserable out there. I didn't get much accomplished this days off due to family responsibilities and I'm back to work tomorrow. I was determined to get this bait setup properly again. Lots of unset Rams at this one. I did manage to get it set up again. I had planned on doing more but came to my senses.

I'll be working through the upcoming warmer weather.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:03 PM

Lots of dogs paired up now , bit much interest at my baits ..unless u count broken BADS from deer

Old 01-11-2017, 08:04 PM

I mean not much interest. Lol

Old 01-11-2017, 08:37 PM

Are you left with any bad left on the cable or are both end releasing and the BAD is completely gone? Had a few deer let go this year and all but one the BAD was completely gone.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot and stock View Post
Are you left with any bad left on the cable or are both end releasing and the BAD is completely gone? Had a few deer let go this year and all but one the BAD was completely gone.
One end releasing, the end on the cable. Who ever came up with this idea of breakaways needs a big pat on the back .
Old 01-13-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
One end releasing, the end on the cable. Who ever came up with this idea of breakaways needs a big pat on the back .
I have a 45" bull moose at one of my baits and we have been getting along just fine all winter... i walk around him and he just ignores me.. that was until last night. That dumb bastard managed to step into 7 of my 15 snares.. 2 just knocked down but 5 breakaways released with snares destroyed! I get there and he just gives me a look and goes and lays down. Mr Moose and i are going to have a talk!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APAShooter View Post
I have a 45" bull moose at one of my baits and we have been getting along just fine all winter... i walk around him and he just ignores me.. that was until last night. That dumb bastard managed to step into 7 of my 15 snares.. 2 just knocked down but 5 breakaways released with snares destroyed! I get there and he just gives me a look and goes and lays down. Mr Moose and i are going to have a talk!
I feel your pain buddy , Ive never had a BAD opened in 3 years of snaring and have had a dozen in the past week . Oh well , they are just doing what they are supposed . Ironic how a guy cant find a moose in the fall and now has one wreaking havoc on his coyote snares ?? Hope he leaves you alone soon .
Old 01-13-2017, 09:35 PM
Banned

Darned moose. Maybe he'll be nice enough to leave a matching pair of antlers there for you.