Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-29-2020, 07:13 PM

Default Euro mount splitting

I decided to try a new way to do my euro mount, did my elk recently and my deer that I shot this last fall by throwing a bag over the antlers and leaving them in the compost pile for the flies and maggots. Both skulls ended up having the nose split open down the middle. Has anyone had experience with this? The elk I was able to just glue back together with wood glue , It also seemed like some of the grease stained into the skull and I was not able to get it to bleach white so I touched it up with a can of white spray paint, you’d never know anything happened. Anyway just curious as to what others experiences. For myself I think I will go back to skinning and scraping and boiling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2020, 07:14 PM

Its small but its my first elk and my first bow kill at 5 yards!

Old 05-29-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe89 View Post

Its small but its my first elk and my first bow kill at 5 yards!

That’s a trophy in my books!
Old 05-29-2020, 07:33 PM

100% trophy status. I had a beetle clean done from last season's deer and it will be hard to look back on an animal I'm real proud of. Keeps everything beautifully clean and in tact.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:39 PM

An elk with the bow at 5 yards is a trophy for sure. I believe the staining is caused by the maggots which is why people use beetles instead. As far as the bone splitting goes I’m not entirely sure on that one. I know everyone calls it boiling but make sure your don’t get the water rolling, that will also cause issues with your euro.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:06 PM

That’s a trophy for sure! I haven’t shot an elk yet and I can’t wait!

Old 05-29-2020, 10:10 PM

Can’t help with the splitting but I love the barn wood you put the mount on! I just did the same to a mule deer I got last fall. Beautiful!
Old 05-30-2020, 09:39 AM

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2020, 10:54 AM

Nose bones are fragile. It happens. Thing is, it’s a euro, it’s supposed to look rustic. I don’t get why some guys want perfect white, perfect nasal anatomy, perfect everything. You are nailing the skull of your prey to the wall, savage art can look savage. Congrats!
Old 05-30-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Nose bones are fragile. It happens. Thing is, it’s a euro, it’s supposed to look rustic. I don’t get why some guys want perfect white, perfect nasal anatomy, perfect everything. You are nailing the skull of your prey to the wall, savage art can look savage. Congrats!
I think it's the moisture and then the drying afterwards. Had similar issues after I tried an ant hill.

Grizz
Old 06-04-2020, 09:04 AM

I have done my fair share of euro mounts. You can never beat the perfect job dermestid beetles will do but taking the time to do your skull properly you put so many hours or days in to harvest/Kill.
Theres lots of threads on AO to help you out.
I skin my skull out as soon as i get time while in camp or back home then its into a low slow boil. Once you have done that part and pressure washed it i put the skull into the peroxide bath then i put elastics around the bridge of the nose to keep it tight and keep that splitting from happening.
I cringe whenever i see someone cut out the skull plate leave the hair on then hang it up.
It really is a fun learning experience in doing your own.

This years Black Bear i got is getting done with Dermestid beetles because i know i can't do the same job they do.....