Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 AM

Default Looking for some trapline experience

I know it might be a long shot but I'm wanting some trapline experience this winter. I do have my resident licence I challenged the exam 3 years ago still wanting to take the course just haven't bin able to make it work out yet. I live in Three Hills Alberta don't mind a bit of a drive but not wanting more than a 4 hour one way. I have a truck camper ski doo a quad if needed some traps and willing to get what ever else I would need. Please PM me on here for my email or phone number thanks for looking.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:01 AM

With all this talk about wolves I would be very interested in doing some trapping for them. I'm going out west this weekend and wolves are at the top of my hunting this trip. If any trappers out there would like to talk with me about trapping wolves I would be very great full for your time. I will be west of Caroline and rocky from Thursday till Monday looking for wolves. Message me on here if you would like to meet up. Thanks for looking.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:10 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall tent View Post
With all this talk about wolves I would be very interested in doing some trapping for them. ....
You just may be taking too hard a run at that learning curve.

Starting with wolves on your first year?? Personally, I'd be hesitant just having a totally untutored guy coming wolf trapping with me.
There are too many unknowns to control: boot prints, out of place odors, urination & spittle in wrong area etc etc. Don't fool yourself, the wolves know that I've been there, but my normal (ha) aroma seems to be accepted. But with a ride along, the trails are avoided for some time.

You may have more luck starting with mink, muskrat etc.

Good luck & I'm not trying to discourage you.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:55 PM

Thanks for your reply I'm just wanting to get out and see what trapping is about. It wouldn't matter to me not even to touch a trap for a year or two. I'm out in 326 right now and just got back from about a 3 mile hike along a creek I did find some wolf tracks. Just out looking around on my own for now.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:10 PM

Isn't Three Hills east of Olds? Maybe you should go to a Sundre Trappers local meeting and see if you can hook up with someone there.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 10-10-2013, 05:14 PM

Thanks Molly that is in the works.