Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-27-2012, 12:29 PM

Question which traps are legal

hello im a very new trapper and looking to order coyote traps from Halfords.my question is when referring top the regaltions it says that traps must be modified to have to following features (i)laminated jaws (ii)offset jaws or (iii) padded jaws so im a little mixed up do the traps have to have ALL of the features or would using say a trap with offset jaws and no padding be legal . all help greatly appreciated including favorite traps , where to buy , traps not to buy . thank you very much hope everyone had a good Christmas
Old 12-27-2012, 03:13 PM

Read the regs, avalible at F&W office or look em up online
Old 12-27-2012, 05:35 PM

Yah read the regs and quoted them in my post . Just wondering if a trap needs all the modifications offset,laminated, and padded jaws or would a trap with rubber jaws and no offset be okay . Thanks
Old 12-27-2012, 06:02 PM

I've always wanted to, but have never taken the trapper's course. Don't they tell you that kind of stuff in Trapper's School? Hmmm, strange.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:04 PM

I agree taking the trappers course would definetly be a big help . and I plan to take it I got the chance . however as of right now I just have my license and no traps so id really like to get the regs straight before I spend big cash on traps
Old 12-27-2012, 07:13 PM

Default Certified but not yet mandatory

Implementation wil be announced at least 3 years in advance.

Quote:
Phase 2. YEAR OF IMPLEMENTATION TO BE DETERMINED - Certified Traps to be regulated in the future for trapping the following species: Although the traps listed in Phase 2 are certified for the following species and trap categories, the year of entry into force of the obligation to use only AIHTS Certified traps has not yet been determined. This date, which could vary from one species to another, will be known at least 3 years in advance. Until then, traps that are currently legally permitted can still be used.
KILLING TRAPS

Species
Traps Certified But Not Yet Mandatory

Otter
Bélisle Super X 220
Bélisle Super X 280
LDL C220 Magnum
LDL C280 Magnum
Rudy 220 Plus
Rudy 280
Rudy 330
Sauvageau 2001-8
Sauvageau 2001-11
Sauvageau 2001-12
Woodstream Oneida Victor Conibear 220
Woodstream Oneida Victor Conibear 330

Weasel
Bélisle Super X 120
B.M.I. #60
B.M.I. 120 Magnum Body Gripper
B.M.I. 126 Magnum Body Gripper
Bridger 120
Koro Muskrat
Koro Rodent
LDL B120 Magnum
Ouell 4-11-180
Ouell 3-10
Rudy 120 Magnum
Sauvageau C120 Magnum
Sauvageau C120 "Reverse Bend"
Sauvageau 2001-5
Triple M
Victor Rat Trap
Woodstream Oneida Victor Conibear 110
Woodstream Oneida Victor Conibear 120

Canada Lynx
Bélisle Super X 280
Bélisle Super X 330
B.M.I. 220 Body Gripper
B.M.I. 220 Magnum Body Gripper
B.M.I. 280 Body Gripper
B.M.I. 280 Magnum Body Gripper
Bridger 220
LDL C280 Magnum
Rudy 330
Sauvageau 2001-8
Woodstream Oneida Victor Conibear 330

RESTRAINING TRAPS

Species
Traps Certified But Not Yet Mandatory

Coyote
Bélisle Footsnare #6
Bélisle Sélectif
Oneida Victor #3 Soft Catch equipped with 2 coil springs

Bridger #3 equipped with 5/16-inch offset, doubled rounded steel jaw laminations (3/16-inch on topside of jaw and 1/4-inch on underside of jaw), with 4 coil springs and an anchoring swivel centre mounted on base plate.
Wolf
Bélisle Footsnare #8

Oneida Victor No. 3 Soft Catch equipped with 4 coil springs, a minimum 8mm thick base plate and an anchoring swivel centre mounted on base plate.

Bobcat
Bélisle Footsnare #6
Bélisle Sélectif

Racoon Duffer
Lil' Grizz Get'rz
Egg Trap

CAGE and BOX TRAPS:
Ramconct Dura-Poly Box Trap
Havahart Cage Trap 1079
Havahart Cage Trap 1081
Havahart Cage Trap 1085
Tomahawk Cage Trap 108
Tomahawk Cage Trap 108.5
Tomahawk Cage Trap 608
Tomahawk Cage Trap 608.5
Old 12-27-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugepickerel View Post
hello im a very new trapper and looking to order coyote traps from Halfords.my question is when referring top the regaltions it says that traps must be modified to have to following features (i)laminated jaws (ii)offset jaws or (iii) padded jaws so im a little mixed up do the traps have to have ALL of the features or would using say a trap with offset jaws and no padding be legal . all help greatly appreciated including favorite traps , where to buy , traps not to buy . thank you very much hope everyone had a good Christmas
Means a trap having one of the 3 mods. So a trap that is offset without padded jaws is legal. Conventional long springs with no mods on the jaws would not be legal. Once phase 2 is implimented we can only use the traps listed.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:58 PM

Thank you Jim summit !! Exactly what I wanted to know ! Now i know what these mods mean and what they are but which is better for holding and keeping the kritter trapped laminated padded or offset for coyote that is
Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 AM

We like the #3 soft catch, holds firm but doesn't do a lot of damage, which is handy if you catch a someone's pet, or a non target species.
Doug
Old 10-13-2013, 09:14 PM

Default Are Duke #3 with offset jaws legal to use on coyote in alberta

Hi there iam new to the forum i have a question are duke #3 with offset jaws legal to trap coyotes in alberta all responses greatly appreciated
Old 10-13-2013, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Which Traps are Legal

Guys, I can attest to the advantage of taking the trapping course. I too started out green when it came to the world of trapping a number of years ago. I took the course in Debolt and have to say it was one of the most enjoyable weeks of learning not only because of the course material but with the atmosphere, the instruction and the trapping gear that is covered as well as a few tricks of the trade that are discussed that could save your life. I have since attended several Saturday day courses offered by the ATA in Westlock including snaring and leg-holds. These are 20.00 per course which is a steal for the info presented. Don't mean to hijack the thread but if you are new to trapping and looking to get a few hints and learn the rules these are great places to start. Good Luck.