Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-01-2024, 09:39 PM

Default Bush rifles, current production.

Looking around at the current market for new firearms, I gotta say, its pretty slim pickings for bush hunting these days. A few of the old go-to bolt carbines are no longer made, others are nearly impossible to find, pump actions are a thing of the past and prices on the used market have gone way up, and lever guns are on the way to becoming luxury items.

Then there's scopes, if you want a low powered scope with a plain duplex reticle your choices are either low end models that are stupidly heavy, or high end European models that all seem to have illuminated reticles or some other weird excuse to stick a 3rd knob on them... or Leupold.

Just wondering what currently produced gear you guys would use for bush hunting?

My own preference is for a bolt carbine with a low powered scope, and this year I'm planning to use a Tikka T3 that was sort-of gifted to me, instead of the old Husqvarna's I've been toting for almost a decade. Thanks to the forum I was able to find a Bushnell Elite 2-7x to put on it though, so not totally current. I've been hunting that model for so long that anything else just feels weird now.
Old 09-01-2024, 10:25 PM

There is a Remington 783 HB version with a 16 1/2" barrel that weighs only 7lbs.

Seems to be a great option for a budget rifle. As a bush gun, as long as it cycles well, you don't need 1/2 MOA accuracy .... I'd look at this as an option.

I currently have a Model 7 for the "bush and tree stand gun" but I don't believe they make them anymore. It has a old 1-4x Leopold as old as I am that is super compact and lightweight - absolutely perfect.
Old 09-01-2024, 10:57 PM

Not sure I follow the line of reasoning. There are still at least 8 companies making levers. Prices range from 600 to 3000, but they all work. There are a bunch of single shot, short barrel options, Ruger makes the scout and the Alaskan guide series of rifles in a wide range of cartridges, Savage, Tikka Vanguard, Howard have a bunch of choices. There are also a wide range of semi autos from Browning Benelli and others. The only ones not available new that you talk about are pump action centerfire rifles. Don't know anyone that is still making those.

Same holds true for scopes, there are at least a dozen makers including nightforce, Trijicon, Lieca Bushnel, Leupold, Atacar, and a raft if others making low power variables. Fixed mag scopes however have become hard to come by.

All of this without considering modifying the other guns that are on the shelf.
Old 09-01-2024, 11:44 PM

Well I'll be darned. They are still making pump action rifles. KRIEGHOF makes a really nice one.
Old 09-02-2024, 12:54 AM

Old 09-02-2024, 04:03 AM

With the trend toward accommodating suppressor use in the US short barreled bolt actions are more available than ever. Lot of options right down to 16” or less that you didn’t see in the past.
Old 09-02-2024, 07:45 AM

Almost every company makes a short barreled bolt gun, many even have irons.

Yes pumps are a thing of the past. Auto loaders took over the waterfowl market so very few hunters are used to a pump anymore. Supply follows demand.

Levers - well they are more expensive but they are being made better for the most part.

The scope thing - yeah having to special order and pay more for a fixed 4 was pretty annoying.

Anyway, what would I use? Probably the ruger Alaskan in 375 ruger. Should bang flop just about anything at any reasonable angle inside 100.
Old 09-02-2024, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Looking around at the current market for new firearms, I gotta say, its pretty slim pickings for bush hunting these days. A few of the old go-to bolt carbines are no longer made, others are nearly impossible to find, pump actions are a thing of the past and prices on the used market have gone way up, and lever guns are on the way to becoming luxury items.

Then there's scopes, if you want a low powered scope with a plain duplex reticle your choices are either low end models that are stupidly heavy, or high end European models that all seem to have illuminated reticles or some other weird excuse to stick a 3rd knob on them... or Leupold.

Just wondering what currently produced gear you guys would use for bush hunting?

My own preference is for a bolt carbine with a low powered scope, and this year I'm planning to use a Tikka T3 that was sort-of gifted to me, instead of the old Husqvarna's I've been toting for almost a decade. Thanks to the forum I was able to find a Bushnell Elite 2-7x to put on it though, so not totally current. I've been hunting that model for so long that anything else just feels weird now.
I get where you are coming from. Buying new rifles is a thing of the past for me.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-02-2024, 08:26 AM

Default Still lots of choices…

Maybe more than ever, depends on budget of course
I will pick up the new Tikka T3x Ranch when it becomes available here
16” 308 is what I like

The lever renaissance right now is interesting indeed lots of great options

The “LPVO” scope category is also pretty hot right now good choices from about $600 to the sky

I’ll be running a 1-6 scope on a 16” 308 this year in the woods as I have for the last decade or so.
Old 09-02-2024, 08:27 AM

A Ruger American Ranch in .308 would fit the bill nicely.

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...II/models.html

A Leupold like this would be a good match:

https://www.leupold.com/vx-3hd-1-5-5...ter-riflescope

And yes, it has an illuminated dot. I personally really like it on my Zeiss, came in very handy shooting a black wolf and also my elk in the timber last year. Gave me a lot of confidence on my shots, where I would have had trouble just seeing the crosshair.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-02-2024, 12:57 PM

I just bought a new Leupold Freedom RDS with a 1 MOA dot. Going to mount it on my Rem 760 30/06 and give it a try on the Elk opener. It appears to be a sturdy unit .
Old 09-02-2024, 12:58 PM

With the number of Midwest states starting to allow rifles for deer hunting and cartridges like the 350&400 legend or the 360 buck hammer i foresee a lot of options for a brush rifle. But why reinvent the wheel. Lever guns have been brush rifles for decades but once and cry once.
Old 09-02-2024, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
I get where you are coming from. Buying new rifles is a thing of the past for me.
Yeah, I guess what some people are calling bush guns, I see as novelty guns...

16" barrels... no thanks. Flash suppressors, threaded barrels, 10 shot mags, pseudo mill-surp styling... Hard no! An overweight Win Mag with a short barrel grafted on to it... seriously??!

Ditto on the scopes. If you want to say there are options I guess I wont argue, I just dont see many good ones, and even fewer that I'd actually want to use.

Last edited by Bushleague; 09-02-2024 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2024, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
With the number of Midwest states starting to allow rifles for deer hunting and cartridges like the 350&400 legend or the 360 buck hammer i foresee a lot of options for a brush rifle. But why reinvent the wheel. Lever guns have been brush rifles for decades but once and cry once.
Yeah, if I were in the market for a bush gun right now it would probably be a Henry lever with a Leupold scope, more because of default than because I actually want it. I do own a really nice Winchester 94, an A/E model but with high grade wood and checkering reminicent of a big boy, but dont really use it.

Bush hunting is hard on stuff so I like being able to clean from the breach end, I like being able to pull the bolt and eradicate all moisture out of the action at the end of the day, I like being able to do a thorough dismantling and inspection at the end of each season.
Old 09-02-2024, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Hmmm. As a lefty my choices are even more limited. I really like light, compact stainless steel bolt rifles. I recently found a 338 Federal barrel and fitted it on my old Tikka stainles lefty T3 action (was a 7mm-08). I may shorten it to 20” and think it is going to make a great compact hard hitting bush rifle. I mounted a Leupold 2.5-8 x 36 on it. Total weight is right around 7-0. If you’re not familiar with the 338 Fed it’s a surprisingly effective round to 300 yards and recoil is reasonable.

I would also check out Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT rifles if you’re looking for light/compact.
Old 09-02-2024, 02:07 PM

Quote:

16" barrels... no thanks. Flash suppressors, threaded barrels, 10 shot mags, pseudo mill-surp styling... Hard no! An overweight Win Mag with a short barrel grafted on to it... seriously??!

Ditto on the scopes. If you want to say there are options I guess I wont argue, I just dont see many good ones, and even fewer that I'd actually want to use.
Almost everything has a threaded barrel thanks to the US having less retarded gun laws. Gonna have to learn to live with that, or have someone cut it off.

And if you are scared of an 8 lb magnum, I’ll introduce you to a grumpy moose in head high willows at 15 yards. Been there twice, I’ll take enough gun every time when I’m in the thick stuff.
Old 09-02-2024, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Hmmm. As a lefty my choices are even more limited. I really like light, compact stainless steel bolt rifles. I recently found a 338 Federal barrel and fitted it on my old Tikka stainles lefty T3 action (was a 7mm-08). I may shorten it to 20” and think it is going to make a great compact hard hitting bush rifle. I mounted a Leupold 2.5-8 x 36 on it. Total weight is right around 7-0. If you’re not familiar with the 338 Fed it’s a surprisingly effective round to 300 yards and recoil is reasonable.

I would also check out Christensen Arms Ridgeline FFT rifles if you’re looking for light/compact.
I can confirm the .338 Federal is a very effective cartridge. Good choice.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-02-2024, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Almost everything has a threaded barrel thanks to the US having less retarded gun laws. Gonna have to learn to live with that, or have someone cut it off.

And if you are scared of an 8 lb magnum, I’ll introduce you to a grumpy moose in head high willows at 15 yards. Been there twice, I’ll take enough gun every time when I’m in the thick stuff.
Cary any 8lb rifle, (9lb scoped) in-hand all day for 6 days straight and my wrists will sound like a cement mixer. And once you stick a 20" bbl on a .300WM, other than the muzzle flash I doubt the game will notice any difference. As far as I'm concerned, more velocity at woods ranges just lends itself to unpredictable bullet performance rather than increased killing power.

And I've met that moose a few times... the .270, '06, and .303 Brit have all handled it.
Old 09-02-2024, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post

That sounds like a pretty awesome rig right there. If you do cut that barrel back to 20" I'd be interested in hearing how it affects the carrying ballance. With the T3 that I have the ballance point is further forward than I like, nothing I cant live with, but if trimming the bbl to 20" would move it back under the magazine I'd be interested.
Old 09-02-2024, 04:21 PM

Quote:
That sounds like a pretty awesome rig right there. If you do cut that barrel back to 20" I'd be interested in hearing how it affects the carrying ballance. With the T3 that I have the ballance point is further forward than I like, nothing I cant live with, but if trimming the bbl to 20" would move it back under the magazine I'd be interested.
I had a factory built t3 light in chromemoly. It was a lh in 338 Federal and it had a 21 inch barrel. With a 4.5x14 Leupold it was a great handling rifle. It balanced right between my hands shooting off hand.
Old 09-02-2024, 04:36 PM

Profit river is importing Cimarron arms reproductions of winchesters 30 wcf, 38/55,45/70 in 1894 and 1886 models they even have a 71 model. Nice receiver peep sight and you have a gorgeous rifle. Save a lot of money by not buying a scope.
I haven’t handled them but they don't seem to have add on safeties and seem true to originals.
Old 09-02-2024, 04:51 PM

Most of my rifles could be considered " bush" rifles. I like 20" tubes. And mauser actions, and levers. Not super light by any standard but they run between 7.5 and 8.5 lbs except for my new 9.3 which weighs a bit over 9lbs. Difference for me is I never carry in hand I always front ready carry hands free, either with a vickers type sling or attached to my pack in the same manner as a vickers carries. My ability to lift the rifle and shoot is just as fast as if I have it in hand at my side.( I have a shot timer and have repeatedly tested this) so the rifle doesnt have to be crazy light to be carried all day. My carry style allows me to slip through the woods just as easily, and far less painfully than carrying the darn thing in hand all day.
Old 09-02-2024, 04:58 PM

I definitely agree though most newer guns ( cabines) are not my style...I would like a kimber in 7-08 w a 20" tube though... unfortunately no option for new there though.I like my hunting rifles slim and trim...no 10 round mag sticking out the bottom.. small low powered fix or low variable scopes mounted low... I have bigger rifles with higher powered scopes but they are never carried in the bush.
Old 09-02-2024, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Short tubed heavy scopes are the rage for sure. I’m having a hard time warming up to them. But it’s becoming an only good option.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 09-02-2024 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2024, 06:18 PM

This would probably be what I built one around. Find a good used Ruger, Winchester, or Remington to put it on.

https://www.nightforceoptics.com/rif...4mm-f1-capped/

-Billy Molls
Old 09-02-2024, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Cary any 8lb rifle, (9lb scoped) in-hand all day for 6 days straight and my wrists will sound like a cement mixer. And once you stick a 20" bbl on a .300WM, other than the muzzle flash I doubt the game will notice any difference. As far as I'm concerned, more velocity at woods ranges just lends itself to unpredictable bullet performance rather than increased killing power.

And I've met that moose a few times... the .270, '06, and .303 Brit have all handled it.
Then they're not going to notice the extra 2 - 4 inches of barrel length either... A 16" bbl rifle will be lighter on those sensitive wrists too.

I've never heard of a "bush gun" with a 20" barrel either, not that it doesn't exist. When I think of "bush gun", I think of something with a short 14" - 16" barrel.

I have a feeling that I'm not the only one with that exact sentiment, either... A Winchester 94 Trapper is actually the first rifle that comes to mind.

IMHO, the "perfect" bush-rifle is a quality AR style semi-auto chambered in something like 350 Legend or 450 Bushmaster...
Old 09-02-2024, 06:43 PM

Thanks what I use! In 30-30 Win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Then they're not going to notice the extra 2 - 4 inches of barrel length either... A 16" bbl rifle will be lighter on those sensitive wrists too.

I've never heard of a "bush gun" with a 20" barrel either, not that it doesn't exist. When I think of "bush gun", I think of something with a short 14" - 16" barrel.

I have a feeling that I'm not the only one with that exact sentiment, either... A Winchester 94 Trapper is actually the first rifle that comes to mind.

IMHO, the "perfect" bush-rifle is a quality AR style semi-auto chambered in something like 350 Legend or 450 Bushmaster...
Old 09-02-2024, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post

A Winchester 94 Trapper is actually the first rifle that comes to mind...
The word you are looking for is arthritic, not sensitive, but I sure appreciate your input

A bush gun in my world is carried a long ways and shot almost exlusively offhand. I've yet to handle a bolt gun with a 16" bbl that balances well for carrying, or shooting offhand, at least to my tastes. Ditto on ultralight mountain type rifles, I imagine they carry nice but there is a limit to how light I can go before my offhand shooting starts to suffer.

For a very long time I carried a Ruger M77, I loved that old rifle, it pointed well for me and I shot offhand with it better than anything else I've used... but it weighed 9 lbs scoped and as my wrists got worse it I had to find something else.

Last edited by Bushleague; 09-02-2024 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-02-2024, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrass View Post
Thanks what I use! In 30-30 Win.
I love scopes the physical size of yours. I wouldn't put anything bigger on a rifle I had to carry much. Leopold used to make a 1' tube 1x to 5x compact with a 1" objective bell or no bell I guess you would call it.
Packs great in a scabbard. Even on a big bolt gun it also enables you to grab the gun and carry it in one hand with your thumb and hand completely around the gun.
A 30wcf is pretty hard to beat for deer under 150yards.
Leopold also made a 1x to 4x . Is that what yours is?
Old 09-02-2024, 07:11 PM

Works for me! Lots of deer, moose, has fallen to that rifle!
Quote:
The word you are looking for is arthritic, not sensitive, but I sure appreciate your input

A bush gun in my world is carried a long ways and shot almost exlusively offhand. I've yet to handle a bolt gun with a 16" bbl that balances well for carrying, or shooting offhand, at least to my tastes. Ditto on ultralight mountain type rifles, I imagine they carry nice but there is a limit to how light I can go before my offhand shooting starts to suffer.

For a very long time I carried a Ruger M77, I loved that old rifle, it pointed well for me and I shot offhand with it better than anything else I've used... but it weighed 9 lbs scoped and as my wrists got worse it I had to find something else.