Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-07-2009, 04:22 PM

Default nightforce or leupold

Im picking up a new scope and I cant seem to decide between a Nightforce 8-32x56 for $1625.00 or a leupold 8.5-25x50 for $1290.00 Ill be shooting out to 1000 yards so the 25x should still be plenty, or is the nightforce worth the extra $300 If im going to be spending this much on a scope and the nightforce is alot better I can justify the extra coin. Anyone have any input or experence on which way to go.
Thanx
Old 09-07-2009, 06:14 PM

When I wanted a longer distance target scope,I compared the Nightforce with the Leupold Mark IV.I bought the Nightforce,and I have never regretted that decision.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:01 PM

both are quality optics and you wouldn't go wrong with either... 25 (or higher magnification) is more than you need to shoot accurately well past 1000 yds but if that what you want go for it... I prefer a 6 x 20 because I like the lower power in low light or in the bush.. I use a 4.5 x 14 Mark 4 on one of my tactical rifles and I've shot it to 1800 yds lots
Old 09-07-2009, 09:34 PM

The NF you have been quoted on sounds like their Benchrest model, which is a great scope, a bit big physically for hunting and 1/8 moa adjustments under covered caps on the turrets may not be the best plan on anything but a target rifle. The NXS line is a closer comparison to the MK4.

Optically I believe the NF has the edge, but from a reticle point of view the NF wins hands down as Leupold still continues to only offer the MK4s with milradian reticles coupled with MOA turrets which means a ton of unnecessary math calculations to make come up corrections.
NF at least offers you MOA reticles with MOA turrets so the scope is truly in the same language for adjustments so to speak.
If you are to truly compare apples with apples you should price out the MK4 Illuminated as they are a bit more $$ than the non illuminated 1s, this will bring the prices closer in line while sharing the same features.

Personally once you have a NF scope you will never go back, I am replacing my MK4s as I can with NF scopes but in the NXS line not the BR.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 09-08-2009, 04:06 PM

it's unfortunate that Leupold doesn't make a mil/mil scope... Leupolds have a mil reticle dot reticle and ajusts in. moa..... the N/F are mil/mil which is a better system... I still like the Luppy's though...
Old 09-08-2009, 09:39 PM
Precisionshooter

Nightforce hands down. Keep an eye out for good prices. Exchange rates are down so new inventory will be lower priced!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
Nightforce hands down. Keep an eye out for good prices. Exchange rates are down so new inventory will be lower priced!
Yes the dollar has positively affected the pricing on NF scopes in Canada.
With the dollar doing as well as it has been of late an overall price drop of just over 10% in the last few months has been possible.
Hopefully the morons that run our country in Ottawa won't screw it up by having an election or some other thing that causes our dollar to loose value yet again.

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 09-10-2009, 05:17 AM
Precisionshooter

Sounds like the Liberals will make sure we have an election...

Prices on USA product, such as Nightforce can be found for 20% less in some cases...
Old 09-10-2009, 10:06 AM

I like the robustness of the Nightforce, but comparing the optical quality I prefer Leupold. Really noticeable for me looking through the scopes side by side, both 50mm obj, set on the same power. I found the Leupold glass sharper and brighter.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:59 PM

have 2 night force scopes and i won't consider anything else. mine are 32x nxs models, you could save a couple dollars by going with the 22x but the 32 is nice once you get used to it
Old 09-13-2009, 06:45 PM

I have destroyed alot of scopes in my life but not my nightforce 5.5-22 nxs on my 50bmg or my burris 3.5-10posi lock on my lazzeroni warbird!