Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Shrubs

Default Would you put a deer in the book?

The thread on the Zaft got me thinking a little. The buck wasn't news to me but I never realized that Mr. Zaft decided to pull it from the p&y and b&c. That got me thinking about a couple of deer I've seen personally that I know would make it into the book but were never entered and I'm sure there are many others.

To me that kinda takes the shine out of the whole record book idea. Is there really any point to it when there are probably hundreds of deer out there that shoulda coulda woulda? I've always felt that if I ever shot a deer with record potential it wouldn't get entered, just sit quietly on the wall. Kinda interested to see other views on it...
Old 11-11-2008, 07:10 PM

I think the hardest decision I battle with is how the heck I'm gonna kill a deer big enough to worry about it!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 07:17 PM

think of how many deer in alberta ,saskatchewan and manitoba that have not been entered.I can think of a few just off the top of my head.Trophies are personal and if it floats your boat and the deer qualifies by all means put him in the book.To me it's not worth the hassle of jumping through all he hoops to get your name in a book .....unless you shot something that would go top 5.besides deer can't read!
Old 11-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Top 5 and you might consider? On the low end, it takes a heck of a critter to crack any of B&C's minimum scores. Critters do get bigger, but not very much! I snuck into their Awards program last fall with a squeeker mule, i was extatic. In with him I say! And bring on the next one, Im ready!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 11-11-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I think the hardest decision I battle with is how the heck I'm gonna kill a deer big enough to worry about it!!!
Aint that the truth!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
Top 5 and you might consider? On the low end, it takes a heck of a critter to crack any of B&C's minimum scores. Critters do get bigger, but not very much! I snuck into their Awards program last fall with a squeeker mule, i was extatic. In with him I say! And bring on the next one, Im ready!
congradulations on your entry and i hope many more come your way and mine as well.Not trying to rain on the parade just saying that many deer don't get entered cause people,my self included,don't want to bother.If you want to enter all the power to you and again congrats on your entry and future entries!
Old 11-11-2008, 08:13 PM

personally, if i shoot an animal that meets the requirements to get into the book, I would enter it. (and have on past animals also)

Nick
Old 11-11-2008, 08:35 PM

Hell yes! If I were ever so lucky it would go in, my bear made all time B&C and I entered it.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:53 PM

I entered one when I was 16, but I have others that would make the books and probably won't again unless it's top 10 or so. I'm proud of my critters and that's all that matters.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:57 PM

Yep!

Hell, most guys go a lifetime without getting one that would qualify. I kindda think of it in terms of 'legacy'. If I can put the passion for hunting into my kids, and they do the same with theirs, and so on....... Down the road they can look back at Great Grampa Tree's buck in the book, that also sits on their wall after I have long since past this world. I think that it would be a very cool thing. Even better if all of us could get in!

Tree
Old 11-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Banned

I allways thought I would. But after shooting that Wolverine (#6) the paper work is still sitting under the skull after 6 months or so.

Perhaps someday I will get around to it.. Perhaps not. I guess a guy should, just to try and keep those record books a bit straight.

Jamie
Old 11-11-2008, 09:12 PM

Default Yup

Well i will tell you i have hunted all over the world and shot a ton of animals, from mountain goats to buffalo to sheep, and i have yet to shoot a animal that made the book, i thought i did it last year with my whitetail but just didnt make er, takes a buty of a animal to put in the book and i will when the time happens,,,,,,althoough i did shoot a monster mountain reedbuck in africa that made the book, he had 7.5 inch horns
to this day that is the only animal that has made the book.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:42 PM

Well I shot my first book animal this year and we'll probably enter it because my Dad is a P&Y scorer.

I shot a nice buck last year that grossed 139 (well above the 125 entry limit) but with deductions came out to 121. I still love that animal and don't care about seeing my name in the back of a book.

If I do shoot a top 10 record animal, I'd be more concerned about getting the right amount of $$$$ for him so I can book more hunts and buy more gear and become semi-retired - . But like so many other solutions I have, I just need to get the problem.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:53 PM

I've shot 3 Boone and Crocket animals 1 bear 1 mule deer and a whitetail and havn't and won't enter any.... Why should I tell them where I shot them... That area still produced good animals... When asked were I shoot them I reply right behind the shoulder.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:52 PM

Default book animals

I would definitely enter them. Not only to compare to other trophies, but to gain recognition for achieving a difficult standard. Don't get me wrong this is not why I hunt, but it is a fun part of it. I've shot a handful of P&Y animals over the years and one B&C. I havn't entered the P&Y, other than with the ABA, but I will in the future. I did enter the B&C, and it's pretty cool to have that certificate saying my deer accomplished something amazingly difficult. I'm still getting B&C congradulation letters in the mail wondering if I want to get a B&C ring or a belt buckle representing my trophy. Obviously this is a money making thing for the B&C club but it's a lot of fun to get #$%* like that in the mail constantly reminding you of this accomplishment. I can certainly understand how people would get fed up with the politics behind recordbook organizations but I think it's still a good idea to support them. Groups like P&Y, B&C and SCI play a very important role in fighting for and ensuring our future hunting rights. If you don't want to enter your animals in the books I can understand that, but I hope most would, if for no other reason than to help support pro hunting groups. Just my thoughts.

Take care,

Jonny.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:35 PM

I have one, a mule deer I shot with my bow that would go into P&Y, around the 180 mark net but I won't ever enter it...I think there is alot of hype around record books and its just not my thing.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Hunter View Post
I've shot 3 Boone and Crocket animals 1 bear 1 mule deer and a whitetail and havn't and won't enter any.... Why should I tell them where I shot them... That area still produced good animals... When asked were I shoot them I reply right behind the shoulder.
X2
Old 11-12-2008, 01:50 PM

Default book

Tree thats a good thought. I wish my father would have kept at least the racks from over the years id. like to see them and maybe my kids could i keep all of my mostly average to small but each means something to me.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:34 PM

I registered my loper from last yr. and have enjoyed the process. The certificate is nice, but I'm definitely getting the plaque done with your scores engraved permanently on a B and C score sheet. Looks really sweet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ANTELOPE_TAXIDERMY_002.jpg (75.5 KB, 73 views)
Old 11-12-2008, 02:47 PM

Default Nope!

Don't have anything big enough to go book and I would'nt if I did. I'm not overly fond of either scoring system.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:48 PM

I wouldn't mind getting my name in the books. But that step comes after the trophy is harvested and I'll worry about it then.

In order to avoid a hijack i will start a new thread on how ridiculous the scoring systems are.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 11-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Shrubs

Some thoughtful comments and I congratulate those of you who have put an animal in the books. Hope I'm not seen as trying to take anything away from some great accomplishments. Interesting to see the different viewpoints
Old 11-12-2008, 09:35 PM

Default book

It's a lot of fun pointing to the "booker" on your wall and telling people who would enter theirs if they could ever get one that you won't bother entering yours I drive my cousin nuts with that one, it's worth more than any entry.

the chef
Old 11-12-2008, 10:35 PM

NO i would not, the only reason being the fact that it attracts more hinters and there pressures to the areas u hunt. The Peace River Region for example where i live, has in the last 5 or so years grown so thick with guides and outfitters its gross, i never really noticed it all that much till last weekend when i was out hunting and came across 3 or 4 different outfitters and 3 guys that where from GP area. All because the books show them the caliber of hunting in northern alberta or alberta for matter i've seen 3 different hunting magazines this year that shows Peace River as the new hotspot for trophy mule and whitetail hunting this year alone.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:00 PM

Nope, not a chance!
The Boone and Crockett club was founded to recognize the finest of the species, the most uniform, etc.
The Pope and Young club followed suit.
What has happened over the years is nothing more than a race to see WHO can "put a big one in the books", and get their name recognized, NOT the animal.
It has lead to a whole new bunch of rules which in turn has lead to a whole new system for some to get around the rules.

I've killed some big animals over the years, but don't even have the heads .
if i do ever kill a big racked buck, the antlers will go in my hunting partner's house, as he collects them - I don't.
Cat
Old 11-13-2008, 09:07 AM

I wouldn't bother. A mount is a personal thing. Heck I don't even like the word trophy as its thrown around. I'd prefer momento of a successful hunt and leave it at that. The trophy/competition aspect of hunting is the single biggest negative I encounter with non-hunters (not anti-hunters) and their feelings on hunting. The animals deserve more respect than to be part of what is essentially a contest for the biggest. We all know there are big one's out there so what.