Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 03:49 PM

Default Snow Geese

Anybody have some advice on going after some snow geese; going out to the vertigree area by Warner and will try to "Coulee pass shoot"; does decoying work for these guys? Thanks!!
Old 11-10-2008, 03:58 PM

Schooten the last time I was out we had some guys lay in a field with a bunch (2 dozen) decoys and 1 guy dive around and scare them all up. Or we would hang out at the DU marsh on the highway and wait for them to come and go.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:00 PM

Contrary to popular belief, snows are great birds to decoy and are very co-operative most days, if you have the right equipment and use it correctly.

Pass shooting is fun too, requires less of an investment in time and money, and is productive during certain weather conditions. Use a fast load of #2's and get underneath them.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:55 PM

Thanks guys! I think we will try both (we will have about 10 guys) and see what happens! I'll be sure to post some pics!
Old 11-10-2008, 10:59 PM

If you don't have any snow geese decoys i have used newspaper and have had very good luck , just crunch it up and through it on the ground , if you can find some stubble burlap from a sports store that should work fine , it's important to keep your cover and the stubble the same colour may have to but some straw on your cover to blend.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:01 PM

gulp

Last edited by Okotokian; 11-12-2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Shot my first snow goose yesterday. Was out for ducks, but a group of snows flew by, so... OMG it looked bigger than my Brittany! No wonder he wouldn't retrieve it. Had to wade in and get soaked in the freezing water myself. Weighed it at home. 22 lbs! The breasts and legs alone filled a large glad freezer bag. Now have to find a good recipe.
I don't see any laughter or giggles in your reply. I hope your joking......

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 11-12-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Shot my first snow goose yesterday. Was out for ducks, but a group of snows flew by, so... OMG it looked bigger than my Brittany! No wonder he wouldn't retrieve it. Had to wade in and get soaked in the freezing water myself. Weighed it at home. 22 lbs! The breasts and legs alone filled a large glad freezer bag. Now have to find a good recipe.
THAT sounds like a swan not a snow goose!!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
did it have any black on the wings and how long was the neck, lol sounds like a swan to me man never seen a snow that big
Old 11-12-2008, 05:07 PM

oh god, I feel sick. F&W just said it was a swan. Damn my stupidity. Never shot any geese before and just got so excited when "they" went overhead. Now I'm a poacher. I've let so many deer go because I couldn't be 1000% sure whether it was a whitetail or a mule, always let pheasants go when not in season when I'm partridge hunting, and now this. Will find out later what the legal repercussions are, but I don't even care about that right now. I don't even feel like hunting at all now. I just feel sick. I apologize to everyone here who is ethical and knows what they are doing. You don't have to berate me, I'm doing that myself. Can't call myself a hunter anymore.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Banned

Default Swan Slayer...lol

Don't beat yerself up too bad over it, honest mistake and one less swan won't matter. The fact you admitted to it and posted it is enough in my book. Can't stop chuckling though, thanks for the story....too funny. Just a tip though, at 22 pounds it is about 3 times the size of a snow, if it looks like a white hang-glider, probably not a snow.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:32 PM

There's a huge push of swans moving south through AB right now.

So let's get this straight... you shot one?!?

At least it wasn't a whooping crane...
Old 11-12-2008, 07:38 PM

I hope you get punished to the full extent of the law. No better than the guys who shoot at sounds in the woods when deer hunting. How oblivious do you have to be to mistake a swan for a snow goose.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:00 PM

Man Oky I hope that F&W recognize the mistake as just that! A person that knowingly does something like this deserves to experiance the full extent of the law. An honest mistake is just that. You are not a poacher you made a mistake and I feel for you. I would feel for a guy who has shot hundreds of Ducks and Geese and one day kocked 2 or 3 down with one shot and was over his limit does that make hin a poacher.

In the words of Christ "let he who is without sin cast the first stone"

Good luck
Old 11-12-2008, 08:12 PM

HAHA i actually find it kinda funny, honest mistake though. I wouldnt beat myself up about it too much. But this does bring a question to my mind, why cant we shoot swans? Is it because there pretty???
Old 11-12-2008, 09:05 PM

Honest mistake? Seriously, mistaking a swan for a snow goose is like mistaking a deer for a caribou.

Other than the fact they are both white birds, there is no similar characteristics whatsoever. You're damn lucky it wasn't a whooping crane you 'thought' was a snow goose.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I hope you get punished to the full extent of the law. .
Yeah.. That would be as bad as useing Lead on waterfowl....... Glass houses my friend.. Glass Houses

Oko. I am sure you must feel like the bottom of a garbage can right now.
Lets hope the punishment isnt to harsh.
As for the bit about not being able to call yourself a hunter.. Thats a load of hogwash. You have just shown the ultimate sacrifice in the hunting world.
Good on you I say.

Plese lets know how it goes.

Jamie
Old 11-12-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zewks View Post
But this does bring a question to my mind, why cant we shoot swans? Is it because there pretty???
We can't shoot swans because there is no hunting season for them Alberta. If you want a swan season, contact SRD... or maybe talk to APOS and see if they can pull some strings.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
Just a tip though, at 22 pounds it is about 3 times the size of a snow,
22 lbs is AT LEAST 4 times the size of an 'average' lesser snow goose.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Yeah.. That would be as bad as useing Lead on waterfowl....... Glass houses my friend.. Glass Houses

Oko. I am sure you must feel like the bottom of a garbage can right now.
Lets hope the punishment isnt to harsh.
As for the bit about not being able to call yourself a hunter.. Thats a load of hogwash. You have just shown the ultimate sacrifice in the hunting world.
Good on you I say.

Plese lets know how it goes.

Jamie
Ya I agree it would be just as bad using lead on waterfowl but who does that these days?

Friend? When did we become friends? I always knew deep down you wanted to be my friend Jamie.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:44 PM

Oko you should maybe get a copy and read them before going hunting. http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/
Old 11-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Banned

My first question is how did fish and wildlife find out about this?
This was a mistake and there is know need to jump on this guy for killing a swan. As far as no lead for hunting water fowl that is ******ed. I shot trap at the brooks gun club for years and there was never any lead found in the slough that was just behind the trap line. You guys are jumping on this guy for killing a swan how many geese you guys wound form using steel???????????

Last edited by gopher; 11-12-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
My first question is how did fish and wildlife find out about this?
This was a mistake and there is know need to jump on this guy for killing a swan. As far as no lead for hunting water fowl that is ******ed. I shot trap at the brooks gun club for years and there was never any lead found in the slough that was just behind the trap line. You guys are jumping on this guy for killing a swan how many geese you guys wound form using steel???????????
Mistake or no Poaching is poaching.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
...how many geese you guys wound form using steel???????????
Gun goes 'BOOM'

Geese goes 'THUD'.

Dead geese tell no lies, my son...
Old 11-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Mistake or no Poaching is poaching.
For once on this board you are correct. However stepping up and admitting your mistake does have Value. It shows maturity and respect for the game laws we have in place. Remember its not what you do when others are around.. Its what you do when you are alone. Some valuable lessons in that story. Lessons that we all can learn from.

Compassion is a wonderful trait...

Jamie
Old 11-12-2008, 10:26 PM

Thumbs down POed

I stay clear of most of the bantering and crap Last week an old member returned under a new name and in one of the first post I saw from him accussed another member of trying to draw him into a fight. I hoped for change a new start something different
Old 11-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Banned

Well Versatile you just keep hunting huns on the 15 of September hope dogs you keep bragging about don’t point to many meadow larks and you got to turn your self in to fish and wild life.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Okotokian has asked that we close this thread. I will grant him his wish. Looks like it is headed in another direction anyway.
Closed Thread