Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2019, 08:28 AM

Default a new way of catching distracted drivers

People will never learn to leave their phone alone so the cops came up with a new way of catching distracted drivers.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/distracte...ways-1.4307412

The RCMP did this a few weeks ago between Red Deer and Innisfail by using a school bus, that just went up and down the QE2 to nab distracted drivers.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:44 AM

All they need to do is drive around Calgary. They are everywhere. Anywhere from sitting at red lights to driving down deerfoot trail at 110+ km's. Any police vehicle on the road should easily be able to write at least 10 tickets a day.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:08 AM

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/distracte...ways-1.4307412
"..invited on a ride-along with RCMP in Airdrie on Thursday as part of distracted driving awareness month where
police are ramping up enforcement. The detachment utilized an unmarked, raised van to
illustrate how motorists behave when they don’t know they’re being watched..."
------

LOL.."ramping up", you don't even have to go out seeking distracted cell drivers, they come to you.
I encounter them daily without looking for them, for sure one a day..just had a big semi truck coming head on
at me down the highway. By the time the semi driver noticed,
he'd already drifted far into my lane & my right tires dancing the edge of the snowy ditch
with about 75ft to spare, he finally yanks back into his lane and starts flipping & throwing crap around in his cab
pretending it was stuff in passenger seat that was the issue..
but we both knew that was his cover attempt as we passed by eachother, lol.

IF only cops would 'ramp up' Intersections that have shopping stores with parking lots adjacent to them,
these are the lottery 'Ticket' hotspots. Just try it out personally for yourself sometime if you don't believe me!

Last edited by tri777; 02-22-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:20 AM

I see lots of people texting or calling in the city, when they are looking Up they are watching for police as much as paying attention to the road,
Old 02-22-2019, 09:32 AM

Thumbs down

I think they have given up trying to stop anyone in Lloydminster, everyone has a phone glued to their head or the steering wheel while driving.
I would much rather see enforcement of red lights and stop signs though. I can't believe how many people in a day I see just blow right through both.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-22-2019, 09:35 AM

If you see some one texting or looking down at their phone coming towards you, hit your horn. Instant panic in their eyes. Hopefully they have to change their underwear and learn a lesson Lol.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:36 AM

10 times worse than drinking and driving but if you drink and drive they bankrupt you and ruin your life. I think both are bad but the consequences for distracted or texting and driving should be much higher.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCL View Post
10 times worse than drinking and driving but if you drink and drive they bankrupt you and ruin your life. I think both are bad but the consequences for distracted or texting and driving should be much higher.
I agree 100%
Old 02-22-2019, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I think they have given up trying to stop anyone in Lloydminster, everyone has a phone glued to their head or the steering wheel while driving.
I would much rather see enforcement of red lights and stop signs though. I can't believe how many people in a day I see just blow right through both.
Likely because they are on the phone. Take away the phone and I bet the stop light/sign violations go down.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:52 PM

I have to admit the woods are full of them and they seem oblivious to the fines,can't fix stupid.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:56 PM

The young lady featured in that bit was my neighbour a few years ago. She lived across the street from my parents. Changed her life forever. If that's not a lesson we can all learn from then nothing will change.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:01 AM

Need stiffer fines or they won't get the message, Ontario $1,000, Manitoba $700, BC $600 all for the first offence plus demerits, 2nd offence the fines can double and anywhere from 7 to 30 day licience suspensions, all provinces need to wake up, put you dam phone away and pay attention.........

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:51 AM

I find it interesting that we spend thousands of dollars punishing distracted drivers when the easiest solution is to require auto makers to put a cell phone jammer in the car. When the ignition is turned on your phone does not work. Need to make a call, pull over and stop and the phone works.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Just loose the ride for 30 days, 10k fine and then you pay to get your ride back after the 30 days....second offence loose the ride(sold at auction) and licences for 5 years.....nope they are going to make vehicles to make up for the lack of driving skill but if the sensors crap out look out!!!!!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-23-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbeast View Post
I find it interesting that we spend thousands of dollars punishing distracted drivers when the easiest solution is to require auto makers to put a cell phone jammer in the car. When the ignition is turned on your phone does not work. Need to make a call, pull over and stop and the phone works.
There are a few issues with that, the first being a jammer would likely also jam hands free phones, which are not an issue. Secondly, there may be several people in the vehicle, why shouldn't passengers be able to use a cell phone? The third is the emergency use of cell phones while driving, it can be an advantage to be able to call ahead if you are rushing someone to a hospital, or for off duty emts, volunteer firefighters or doctors to be able to receive or participate in emergency calls while driving.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:20 AM
Banned

Last summer I was stuck in traffic on the High Level bridge in Edmonton. There wasn't any mention of traffic delays on the radio or Google maps. As I was crawling over the River Valley I noticed one of Edmontons' best and brightest hiding between the beams of the bridge. The officer was using a radio to report the description of the cars in which people were using a cell phone, while moving slower than the pedestrians on the sidewalk. I'd imagine that numerous motorists were delayed in their travels due to this unforeseen traffic jam and were notifying someone about it.
As I finally made it to the southern side of the bridge I saw that the traffic jam was in fact caused by a police cruiser blocking one of the lanes.
It would appear that EPS created an artificial traffic problem in order to entrap people and charge them with distracted driving. I can't interpret that "enforcement event" as anything short of a two-bit scheme to replenish the government coffers.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:21 AM

I was wondering when they'd start doing that. Ride the LRT along crowchild tr and you lose count of how many people are texting and driving.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
Last summer I was stuck in traffic on the High Level bridge in Edmonton. There wasn't any mention of traffic delays on the radio or Google maps. As I was crawling over the River Valley I noticed one of Edmontons' best and brightest hiding between the beams of the bridge. The officer was using a radio to report the description of the cars in which people were using a cell phone, while moving slower than the pedestrians on the sidewalk. I'd imagine that numerous motorists were delayed in their travels due to this unforeseen traffic jam and were notifying someone about it.
As I finally made it to the southern side of the bridge I saw that the traffic jam was in fact caused by a police cruiser blocking one of the lanes.
It would appear that EPS created an artificial traffic problem in order to entrap people and charge them with distracted driving. I can't interpret that "enforcement event" as anything short of a two-bit scheme to replenish the government coffers.
Putting people at risk to try and co-erse them to commit a violation to make money, totally disgusting.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There are a few issues with that, the first being a jammer would likely also jam hands free phones, which are not an issue. Secondly, there may be several people in the vehicle, why shouldn't passengers be able to use a cell phone? The third is the emergency use of cell phones while driving, it can be an advantage to be able to call ahead if you are rushing someone to a hospital, or for off duty emts, volunteer firefighters or doctors to be able to receive or participate in emergency calls while driving.
I dunno, we got along fine before they were invented. I agree they are fine in the situations you describe. If they are only used in extenuating situations they may save a few lives, thats fine. On the other hand they are killing and maiming far more people than they are saving.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Need stiffer fines or they won't get the message, Ontario $1,000, Manitoba $700, BC $600 all for the first offence plus demerits, 2nd offence the fines can double and anywhere from 7 to 30 day licience suspensions, all provinces need to wake up, put you dam phone away and pay attention.........
X2 The small amount people pay in Alberta is ridiculously small. Hit em hard in the pocket book and points on licence they WILL smarten up quick. Go ahead and try and apply for a job with a commercial driving company and when they pull your driving abstract and see distracted driving offence.....GOOD LUCK
Old 02-23-2019, 10:59 AM

I see Every third or fourth vehicle in Edmonton and I don't drive that much in the city, people are on the phone or texting. How come the cops aren't enforcing the law here ? Raise fines and demerits. Unmarked cars and blitz these people for a month or two. When they lose their licence and having paid a few $ grand in fines they may think twice.

$500 fine or more and 3 demerits, when they reach the demerit max, court before a judge. The judge can hand out suspension time according to how many weeks , or months the demerits were accumulated.
2 month intervals = 1 month suspension.
1 month intervals = 3 month suspension.
less than 1 month intervals = 1 year to a max of 3 year suspension, Judges discretion.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:43 PM
Gone Hunting

How about a cell phone registry?

Make it illegal to drive and use the phone at the same time.

Operator course and Background checks for owners.

CPAL Cell phone acquistion licence.

All these things have been very effective applied to firearms and drugs, why not Cell phones.?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-23-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
How about a cell phone registry?

Make it illegal to drive and use the phone at the same time.

Operator course and Background checks for owners.

CPAL Cell phone acquistion licence.

All these things have been very effective applied to firearms and drugs, why not Cell phones.?
And who pays for that?? How about grab a brain, penalty should be loose your DL for 24 hours first offence!!
Old 02-23-2019, 06:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
And who pays for that?? How about grab a brain, penalty should be loose your DL for 24 hours first offence!!
Who pays for everything?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-23-2019, 06:28 PM

Such a simple solution to all this driving/texting:

If caught, 2 immediate options to the offender:

1. Immediate fine of $2500

Or

2. Offender has to smash phone in front of officer.
Old 02-23-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbeast View Post
And here I thought I was the only one with this idea. It really is the best idea out there, because people that are still doing it just don't get it and likely never will.