Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-10-2019, 08:13 PM

Default Where to put in a canoe on St. Mary River about the reservoir?

Hi, I will be camping on the St. Mary reservoir this June and was wondering if someone could tell me where I could put a canoe in on the St. Mary River above the reservoir? I would like to float anywhere from 5 to 10 km and maybe take out at the campground on the river just before the reservoir. If you don’t want to share your spot publicly feel free to send me a private message.

Thanks for be help!
Old 02-11-2019, 11:03 PM

Check google earth. There is a campground upstream, and a bridge crossing further up. Careful what time of year/water levels. They whitewater raft up that way. Could be a bit much for a canoe depending time of year.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:46 PM

I did a 3 day float on the river from the Lake to Fort Steele a few years back in a fishing kayak. Was a lot of fun, but probably more adventure than I bargained for, especially the dismount and dishwasher ride through the rapids near the Campground below the Lake. Really appreciated the PFD then.

Back to the point, never explored above the Lake so I'm afraid I can't be of much help there.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrgeiz View Post
I did a 3 day float on the river from the Lake to Fort Steele a few years back in a fishing kayak. Was a lot of fun, but probably more adventure than I bargained for, especially the dismount and dishwasher ride through the rapids near the Campground below the Lake. Really appreciated the PFD then.

Back to the point, never explored above the Lake so I'm afraid I can't be of much help there.
Not sure, but I think the OP is asking about St. Mary's river in Alberta, not the one in BC that flows into the Kootenay at Fort Steele.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
Not sure, but I think the OP is asking about St. Mary's river in Alberta, not the one in BC that flows into the Kootenay at Fort Steele.
Ahh you’re probably right, didn’t know there was a St. Mary’s in AB. Thanks and please disregard my post.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:23 PM

Woolford Campground reopened a couple of seasons ago, and is actually quite a nice little rustic campground. I think as the crow flies, from there to the start of where it starts to become reservoir-like is a bit more than 10km, and still quite a long ways from the St Mary campgrounds (which are on the north end of the reservoir). That all depends on water levels of course, but by June they should already be starting to get quite high. The north side of the bridge on Highway 5 should allow you reasonably easy access to the river with a canoe, and cuts the float time down by more than 1/2.