Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-23-2019, 07:40 PM

Default Lightning locks

Had quite a few locks break on the shank the last couple years. Always make sure that things are straight and locked that way but has anyone else had this happen regularly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2019, 10:03 PM

Default Lightning locks

I had 2 break on coyotes and managed to break on in my garage just using a stick as a tie off point and my 2 hands and i am not a strong guy. Went back to cam locks.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:05 PM
AO Sponsor

I encourage you to do a search on the topic. No sense sounding like a broken record. You want four tooth lightning locks and give the clasp a squeeze with a linesman plier.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:20 PM

Default Lighting locks

What do you mean by giving the clasp a squeeze? What does that do? Thanks.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:48 PM
Banned

does that stop them from breaking in the shank? two of mine have broken this winter and they haven't even started to stretch the 's' hooks.....wth?
Old 01-24-2019, 10:43 PM
AO Sponsor

Bench your six tooth model. 4 tooth model is awesome IF you squeeze the sloppy clasp/hood with a linesman plier, and get rid of the sloppy clasp. It's way too wide. Bend the lock 90 degrees and squeeze... not so tight that they seize. Eliminate the gap.

I have over 500 coyotes this season so far, the vast majority with 4 tooth lightning locks. Zero percent breakage, but they only have 4 teeth.

If you keep using 6 tooth lightning locks you will continue to have breakage because 6 tooth lightning locks break 10% of the time.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:26 PM

Arturo I guess you'll recess w

lL
Old 01-25-2019, 05:27 PM

So I guess you will recall those.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:31 PM

Like I wish I could've recalled my mumbo jumbo first attempt at typing.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:40 PM

Default Lighting locks

10% breakage. That gets expensive real quick if you are getting a lot of coyotes. Too bad you have to start modifying a brand new lock before it’s even been used! Where do you get the 4 tooth style? P.S. I have never had a death blow cam lock break.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 01-25-2019 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Question.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:32 PM

if you can truly tell me of a cam lock at this point without issues I would be all ears! They all have weak points. Even the quality of RAMS at times could easily come into question. And if compromised by future profit hungry manufacture could be a disaster. Have not ran the death blow as I trust knowledgable men that they are no better then the rest at best so don’t bother. But do test others. And by test I mean multiple quantifiable measurements from every kill...and I kill a few. If a lock does not kill efficiently it may incur 10% chew out rate just as easy as 10% breakage or maybe we know that and instead run 5/64 or 3/32 cable and easily run 10%+ refusals! I wouldn’t go as far as to personally question, not having facts, but be sure the breakages were not deer rather then coyote?!? Have had most gens of lightenings prone to break on deer but never clear eveidence(like the contrary) to break on dawgs. I don’t for a second believe and sure don’t hope the lightning is the best lock we have seen yet but my data gives it a slight edge over all the other locks. The best that I could test anyhow. Trust me I believe all men should be questioned ruthlessly in both motives and marketing but I still give credit where credit is due and I firmly believe that we would be still snaring in the Stone Age without an immense effort and unknown invest by Marty. Is he perfect of course not and know he would agree. It’s possible some gens of locks came out too early. I doubt it was to make a fortune. If you are slaying them without torsion springs and just a death blow cam either we have different standards or you have all the secrets. Stand by because there is bigger and better on the horizon. We must evolve together or our enemies will win. The days of a simple snare with a simple lock will not keep us in business for long!
Old 01-25-2019, 08:08 PM

Default Lighting

I’m looking forward to trying the 4 tooth Lightening locks! Marty, do you carry them? Thanks.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:03 AM
AO Sponsor

I am working on an improved lightning lock version this year, definitely a new name to put the various confusions to rest. Currently sold out of 1/16” Lightning Lock.

Next to clarify... 1/16” Lightning Lock 4 tooth version made is best.

3/32” Lightning Lock was made in 6 tooth only and is a very tough lock. I still say use with caution on wolves with the 3/32” lock but various individuals are using them successfully on wolves, in particular one user in Quebec had taken 46 wolves with them as of 3 seasons ago.

So 1/16” 4 tooth good
3/32” 6 tooth good also, use on 3/32” only