Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-06-2018, 11:27 AM

Had some 243 win hand loads hangfire in extreme cold weather. Win 760 with cci200 primers. Wasn't quite a click bang but definitely delayed ignition. Loads shot perfect in summer but -30 they would hang for like this. Re-worked loads with a mag primer and never had an issue since.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:06 PM

I have seen maybe two hang fires that fired several seconds after the trigger was pulled. I find it interesting that the firearms expert is saying that it will only delay a fraction of a second before firing. The CFSC says that you must wait 60 seconds before opening he action. It seems a bit inconsistent.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:14 PM

just one; when I was a kid. It was a 22 and an old bolt action remington. It was a decent amount of time, a few seconds at least, because I remember lifting my head off the stock looking at him. I new there was round in the chamber. I felt the pin fall and nothing. I had no idea what was wrong but knew their should of been a bang. Has made me leery of misfires/duds since then but I am ok with that. Rather error on the side of caution with firearms.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:04 PM

Real good video of a hangfire and an idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Za2ezCNvBeU&sns=fb
Old 02-06-2018, 07:36 PM

I had a hang fire on surplus 8mm mauser ammo where the firing pin hit, and didn't fire for a minute. So, I cycled the cartridge out of the gun, and threw it into the shooting bag. (I had a deal with the guy selling the ammo that he'd replace the non firing Cartridges) It blew up a few minutes later.

I dont' remember how many minutes, but I remember that I put a few more down the pipe before that happened.