Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2018, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I will look forward to hearing your impression. You will want to press it with a big drop of water, it is potent cask, and let it breathe for five minutes...beautiful!
I drink everything neat. Including 55%+ Duncan Taylor rums! However I will try the spirit in question the way that you had suggested as well as in its' pure form.
An astute man once quoted Frank Zappa: "A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Old 11-30-2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
I drink everything neat. Including 55%+ Duncan Taylor rums! However I will try the spirit in question the way that you had suggested as well as in its' pure form.
An astute man once quoted Frank Zappa: "A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work if it's not open"
Absolutely try it neat first (I'm like you, that's the way I like most everything)...but these run 57.8% to 58.6%...and they can overwhelm with alcohol burn. A drop tames them down where you can really benefit from the cask they were in. I just celebrated a pp goal by Flames witha big dram of the Kavalan Sherry tonight. It is dark like coca cola! That's the natural color, it is aged five years in the Sherry or port cask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181130_211409.jpg (57.5 KB, 14 views)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-30-2018, 09:56 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
I will look forward to hearing your impression. You will want to press it with a big drop of water, it is potent cask, and let it breathe for five minutes...beautiful!

Bob, let me know what you think of that Lagavullin, it's been on my radar for a couple weeks, saw it on the shelf at Vintage my last visit.
Yeah buddy... I will for sure!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-30-2018, 10:00 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
I too drink my scotch neat with everything, but I still do like to experiment with a few drops here and there just to open up subtle aromas and tastes and see what I can pick out. Try it sometime... It is interesting how they change and develop with even the tiniest bit of water!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-30-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I too drink my scotch neat with everything, but I still do like to experiment with a few drops here and there just to open up subtle aromas and tastes and see what I can pick out. Try it sometime... It is interesting how they change and develop with even the tiniest bit of water!
Exactly right. The Scots even have a name for it, 'Releasing the serpent'...don't think about that too much!

https://www.quora.com/What-is-serpent-in-whiskey

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscimetry

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-30-2018, 10:08 PM

Picked up a bottle of Jura Elixir (12yr) on Black Friday, enjoying it quite a bit.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:02 AM

Jura 16 year old and Highland Park 12 year old are my favourites. Although I hear there is a 16 year old Highland Park
Old 12-01-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
Jura 16 year old and Highland Park 12 year old are my favourites. Although I hear there is a 16 year old Highland Park
I've seen and tried the 15 year old HP, don't think I've ever seen a 16? 18 is fabulous too. For those who like the Jura (and I do), figured I'd mention that my local Costco had the 21 year old for $120, which is quite a bit less than anywhere else I've seen it, I suspect they all have it, seems to be how they roll. I grabbed a couple bottles, it's a very very nice dram for that price! It's extremely smooth (almost too much so for me, I like a bit of 'bite' to my whisky, prefer cask strength)...but with a coffee after a great meal, you'd be hard pressed to find one better. Would be a good Christmas present to yourself.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:33 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
I've seen and tried the 15 year old HP, don't think I've ever seen a 16? 18 is fabulous too. For those who like the Jura (and I do), figured I'd mention that my local Costco had the 21 year old for $120, which is quite a bit less than anywhere else I've seen it, I suspect they all have it, seems to be how they roll. I grabbed a couple bottles, it's a very very nice dram for that price! It's extremely smooth (almost too much so for me, I like a bit of 'bite' to my whisky, prefer cask strength)...but with a coffee after a great meal, you'd be hard pressed to find one better. Would be a good Christmas present to yourself.
It is absolutely a steal of a deal for a quality 21 yo isn't it? I grabbed one earlier as well. I have only had a single dram of it to date but found it quite enjoyable. Tasted like a giant bite of whisky fruitcake! No wonder you can pair it with a coffee... lol
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-01-2018, 11:34 AM

It could be 15 year old, I was only out by an year, DUH, (s******)
Old 12-01-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
It is absolutely a steal of a deal for a quality 21 yo isn't it? I grabbed one earlier as well. I have only had a single dram of it to date but found it quite enjoyable. Tasted like a giant bite of whisky fruitcake! No wonder you can pair it with a coffee... lol
It is very much a toffee and caramel and bite of fruitcake in a glass! It's a whisky anyone can enjoy for certain. Nothing too bold, or huge character, but a really smooth and pleasant dram.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
It could be 15 year old, I was only out by an year, DUH, (s******)
There was no offense intended (I'd like to think this is a gentleman's thread)...the fact is there are so many standard offerings, and special limited bottlings put out now that I can't possibly keep track of all of them. If HP did come out with a limited 16 year old it wouldn't surprise me, though lately they have gone to NAS (non age statement) whisky like Magnus, Full Volume, valkyrie etc. Lots of distiller's are doing this now. I know one distiller was famous for their 16 year old, Scapa...but it got discontinued and now they only offer a 10 year old currently. I have one lone survivor 16 tucked away in my safe that I lucked out and found in Florida in April. Always remember to look for bottles with dust on them when you go to small liqour stores, I've made some of my best finds that way. Sometimes the price tag is 5 or 10 yrs out of date too! Scored some amazing deals that way.

Whisky is good.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-01-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:04 PM

Going to this: Edmonton WhiskeyFest, January 16, 2019.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrT4...iwS7vgqDM__EY-
Old 12-01-2018, 02:27 PM

That looks like a good time and for a good cause too! I may have to think on that one, though it's a bit out of the way....

Old 12-01-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Going to this: Edmonton WhiskeyFest, January 16, 2019.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrT4...iwS7vgqDM__EY-
We went to the rum festival a few months ago and had a good time, too bad some of the tables ran out before we had a chance to sample them. Hopefully gonna make it to the whisky festival too!
Old 12-01-2018, 06:28 PM

I am enjoying some Glenfiddich 12 years tonight.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:52 PM

My son is home from Edmonton with the Talisker, so I think I will have some of that tonight, and stay away from hockey threads... wouldn't want to say anything rude.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
My son is home from Edmonton with the Talisker, so I think I will have some of that tonight, and stay away from hockey threads... wouldn't want to say anything rude.
I just opened a bottle of the very same. Slainte!

Edit: I guess, so much for my brilliant Scotch hoarding scheme...
Old 12-01-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
To your good health, sir!

Old 12-01-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
I am enjoying some Glenfiddich 12 years tonight.
Me2...warms me up.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Edit: I guess, so much for my brilliant Scotch hoarding scheme...
Enjoy one, hide two...then later, when you find them again, it's like Christmas morning!

Old 12-02-2018, 05:02 PM
AO Sponsor

Just cracked open the Lag 8yo! Will report back later...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1543795160328.jpg (31.1 KB, 27 views)
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-02-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Just cracked open the Lag 8yo! Will report back later...
Look forward to it Bob. Flames playing, Smith in net, so I may need to stick with Glenfiddich 12 for the volume I'm gonna have to drink to get through this...

Old 12-02-2018, 07:17 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Look forward to it Bob. Flames playing, Smith in net, so I may need to stick with Glenfiddich 12 for the volume I'm gonna have to drink to get through this...
Well I wasn't quite sure what to expect but I must say it was a very nice dram! As you would expect from a Lagavulin, it has lots smoke and peaty goodness, but there is quite a lot of subtleties and depth. Lots of fruit and a bit of a salty brine background. I look forward to trying more with maybe a touch of water to open up subtleties even more. As light as it is, for a whisky of this age statement it definitely comes across more mature. I think you will like it Twisted!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-02-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Well I wasn't quite sure what to expect but I must say it was a very nice dram! As you would expect from a Lagavulin, it has lots smoke and peaty goodness, but there is quite a lot of subtleties and depth. Lots of fruit and a bit of a salty brine background. I look forward to trying more with maybe a touch of water to open up subtleties even more. As light as it is, for a whisky of this age statement it definitely comes across more mature. I think you will like it Twisted!
I will give it a go. Does it have that typical Lagavullin harness leather on the nose/front palate?

Old 12-03-2018, 06:47 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
I will give it a go. Does it have that typical Lagavullin harness leather on the nose/front palate?
Peat and leather always seems to go hand in hand for me, but I wil say I was not smacked in the head with leather like some others, although I am going to focus on it next go around!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-03-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
So watching the Flames play, and poured myself a generous dram of the Kavalan Solist Port Cask...and I still can't wrap my head around this being distilled in Taiwan. Only 5 years old. It is just so good.

With respect to your taste and opinions on this thread I looked up this product. Here in BC, the nanny state where I have retired to (4 1/2 years ago)

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/produc...valan%20Solist
Old 12-03-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4570 View Post
With respect to your taste and opinions on this thread I looked up this product. Here in BC, the nanny state where I have retired to (4 1/2 years ago)

http://www.bcliquorstores.com/produc...valan%20Solist

I hope you are enjoying your retirement. I am creeping up on that myself. If I move away from the miserable winters here, it will be south....and it's looking pretty certain at this point.

As to the link you attached....Ouch! Those are ridiculous prices. I have bought 4 different bottles, the Vinho Barrique, Sherry, Port, and Peaty casks, and they all ran in the $225-275 range. I did see some in the airport that were in the $6-700 range. That's getting too rich for my blood by far. I generally try and keep things under $200, under $100 is better....

If I was going to recommend any of them that I have tried...go with the Port. It is actually one of the least expensive of the Solist, and my personal favorite...though the Vinho Barrique is pretty awesome too.

These are some Alberta prices...only slightly less ($140-180 per bottle!!)....hard to find the stuff it seems like. They have a good selection at Vintage Wine and Spirits here in GP...If you are really interested in trying some, I could arrange to maybe send one your way that won't break the bank?

http://www.liquordirect.ca/Search.aspx?k=kavalan+solist

Some of the awards they have won:

https://www.canadianinsider.com/kava...iew-of-spirits

Old 12-05-2018, 08:25 PM
Banned

TC, I was only able to find the prohibitively expensive Kavalan; as long as the ex is on my back it is off the table!
However I did pick up a couple of reasonably priced bottles to try. Oban Distillers Edition and a Duncan Taylor Dimensions series distilled at Glenmoray.
Both are exquisite and unique, I will certainly enjoy exploring them when I have some time.

Old 12-05-2018, 08:33 PM

Ohhhhh! Oban Distiller's edition! That looks like something I must find and try! Love the Oban 14...keep me posted on that one.

And the offer stands, if you would like to try a Kavalan that isn't too stupid, I am willing to facilitate and mail to you. It is a pricey bottle even in that $250-275 range, but there is no doubt they have done something special there in Taiwan.