Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-22-2019, 11:52 AM

Default Advice on Boat Purchase Please

I could use some help here, and am fully admitting to not knowing much about this style of boat.

I pretty much have my mind made up on a Lund Fury 1600 tiller. My son has a nice ski boat, and my boat will only be used for fishing, the ski boat would be used for fun.

My plan is to hang a Mercury 25 on it, which weighs 150lbs. One salesman says I will need power tilt and trim. Another says I don't and the assist on the motor is plenty.

Guys, I have no clue about this. I am 52 and plan to get a lot of use out of this boat when I retire. Will this be an issue in 10 years?

I am open to advice.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
I could use some help here, and am fully admitting to not knowing much about this style of boat.

I pretty much have my mind made up on a Lund Fury 1600 tiller. My son has a nice ski boat, and my boat will only be used for fishing, the ski boat would be used for fun.

My plan is to hang a Mercury 25 on it, which weighs 150lbs. One salesman says I will need power tilt and trim. Another says I don't and the assist on the motor is plenty.

Guys, I have no clue about this. I am 52 and plan to get a lot of use out of this boat when I retire. Will this be an issue in 10 years?

I am open to advice.

Thanks in advance.

If tilt & trim are within your budget by all means get it. The trim feature will prove itself when cruising under various loads and different water conditions.. especially with 25 hp on a 16 ft boat..
Old 02-22-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
If tilt & trim are within your budget by all means get it. The trim feature will prove itself when cruising under various loads and different water conditions.. especially with 25 hp on a 16 ft boat..
Thanks Salavee

I have to ask though, why do you say especially with a 25hp on a 16 ft boat?

I don't follow........ cause I don't know much.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:33 PM

My only regret with my SSV is not getting power trim. It’s a 40 and would be heavier than the 25 you’re looking at. It’s barely manageable, there’s a few tricks to make it easier but its still heavy. I’d get the power trim.

I’d expect that boat to be quite underpowered with a 25 on it.

The assist helps but I think the gas charge has leaked out. Even brand new it was heavy.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:40 PM

I have a 25/up on a 14’ Alumacrat and it’s good but a couple more horses would have been nice. Off the top of my head I think you can have a 40/hp? Anyhow have it mounted with the electric start and power trim. Don’t over think these options as they are nice to have.

Dodger.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I have a 25/up on a 14’ Alumacrat and it’s good but a couple more horses would have been nice. Off the top of my head I think you can have a 40/hp? Anyhow have it mounted with the electric start and power trim. Don’t over think these options as they are nice to have.

Dodger.
Thanks Dodger.

Electric start is coming with the boat for sure. I'm just unsure about power trim.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:03 PM

I would question a 25hp on a Fury 1600.....if it was me (and I'm looking at a Fury XL) I wouldn't go any less than 40hp on that boat. Pretty sure 25 would barely get 'er on plane. But it's each to their own for sure...I don't know a damn thing about tilt/trim...
Old 02-22-2019, 01:16 PM

Are you planning to take the outboard off for any reason? Does it NEED to be portable?

If the answer is yes for some reason, and you don't regularly plan on fishing with more than two people on fairly small lakes, then the 25HP will be underpowered, but you should be OK.

If the answer to that is no, and on a 1600 Fury and your described use, I think it should be a no, then I would SERIOUSLY consider moving up to the max 40HP outboard. the general rule of thumb is to max out the HP for optimum performance, and at the very least, to be within 20% of max. (The 25HP is 40% below max.) The difference in how your boat performs - not just top speed, but hole shot, cruising speed/efficiency, and the load you can comfortably haul around will be night and day better with a 40HP than it will be with a 25HP, there will be no comparison. It will also be considerably safer, especially in a tiller application, as you'll be able to plane out much quicker and have much better throttle control in windy conditions to keep the bow up and power up waves.

I would also STRONGLY advise you to buy an outboard with power trim/tilt. It might not seem like it's worth the cost now, but after you've tilted that motor up by hand a few dozen times, let alone still having to do it 10 years from now, you'll be cursing yourself for not getting the power tilt. The ability to adjust your boat's trim angle while driving is also a crucial part of being able to optimize your boat's performance and safety. The cost of the power trim/tilt is worth every penny when it comes to enjoying your boating experience.

If you're a casual user that might get on the water a couple times a year, the 25HP with manual tilt will get the job done, but if you plan to put a lot of hours on your boat and keep it for a long time, go with the 40HP and power trim/tilt.

I know I'm spending about $1200-1300 of your $$$$, but I'm pretty sure you'll never regret it. Buy once, cry once!
Old 02-22-2019, 01:19 PM

As far as an OB, max out the horsepower or most likely you will be buying it twice!
Old 02-22-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks Salavee

I have to ask though, why do you say especially with a 25hp on a 16 ft boat?

I don't follow........ cause I don't know much.
IMHO you will find a 25 is under powered. A 40 hp would be more appropriate.
The biggest mistake most newer boat buyers make is in the power dept. Inevitably you will want more power for that rig, and it will cost you, Get the appropriate power initially. A 50 hp tiller would be managable.
Also, consider a 2 stroke... much more torque on the bottom end and you could get by with a bit less power rating. Power trim is always a bonus, regardless of power.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
IA 50 hp tiller would be more than managable.
Also, consider a 2 stroke... much more torque on the bottom end and you could get by with a bit less power rating.
Max rating in the tiller version is 40HP.

Two stroke is not really an option on a Lund - Merc or Honda unless you want spend a lot more money. I wouldn't advise it anyway. I know the new ETEC is much improved, but IMHO, not worth the noise, smoke and inconvenience of adding oil. I also wouldn't be keen on long hours at idle/trolling speeds with a 2 stroke.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:42 PM

Well, you guys are giving me lots to think about!!!!
Old 02-22-2019, 01:58 PM

Go with the 40 hp and the trim. Have a 30hp on my 14', sure would like that extra 10 hp--better to have it and not need it than the other way around
Old 02-22-2019, 02:17 PM

Good advice from all. Is there anything else we can spend some of your cash on? Happy boating !!

Dodger
Old 02-22-2019, 02:19 PM

my family sold www.silsbylakelodge.com in 2008, I grew up there. We ran 25 hp honda 4 strokes on 14-17 foot alumarine without anything fancy just fine. Those lakes are bigger than 99% of what's in alberta. Our biggest boat for taking out the garbage was a 20 footer with 30 mercury, no issues.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Good advice from all. Is there anything else we can spend some of your cash on? Happy boating !!

Dodger
Well we were planning a Mexico trip for Easter, if anyone has any ideas on that?

Cost is irrelevant
Old 02-22-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaerzen View Post
my family sold www.silsbylakelodge.com in 2008, I grew up there. We ran 25 hp honda 4 strokes on 14-17 foot alumarine without anything fancy just fine. Those lakes are bigger than 99% of what's in alberta. Our biggest boat for taking out the garbage was a 20 footer with 30 mercury, no issues.
I was on the same page as you.

I just looked it up and the Fury is 520lbs and the SSV is 340lbs.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
I was on the same page as you.

I just looked it up and the Fury is 520lbs and the SSV is 340lbs.
Honestly.... I forget how heavy the alumarines are, but they aren't super light. Held up great on 20km long lake, big waves, never had a complaint.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:06 PM

Go with the 40! You always see boats that are rated for 115’s that have 90’s on the back with all sorts of stainless props trying to squeeze out every bit of performance to make up for the lost horseys. Put 3-4 people, live well, gear... all of a sudden it doesn’t want to get on plane. Buy once cry once .
Old 02-22-2019, 07:41 PM

as said lots befor....Do it once and do it right!!! max the HP......if you can I would also ABSOLUTELY go for a 2 stroke E-Tec. these are NOT your dads 2 strokes. they DO NOT Smoke or stink, or are they loud or gas guzzlers an E-Tec at idle will burn less then a 4 stroke. As for trolling...again not like the old motors. you can Idle troll for hours without any ill affects as the motor compensates fuel, air and oil mixtures as conditions change......Its hard for people to accept the new 2 strokes out threre. everything is auto mixed. The new 100 to 1 synthetics have absolutely no smoke or fumes, except normal exhaust. You will end up with a motor with a higher HP rating but weighs A LOT less then a 4 stroke, fewer moving parts to maintain, a better warrenty, and honestly......just a better power plant all over with a more reliable start. i know....not what people think of in a 2 stroke....but as i mentioned, these are not from days of old, and are just amazing really.

as for power tilt......if you can in anyway manage it....DO IT!! ya, you can manage without....but you can manage without power steering in your truck too....but would you want to.....you will be thankful 10 years down the road! Im sure a 4 banger in the old half tonne would make it roll down the street as well....but, really...probably not what you would enjoy....
Old 02-22-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Well we were planning a Mexico trip for Easter, if anyone has any ideas on that?

Cost is irrelevant
hit Cabo San Lucas!!! best deep sea fishing in the world!!!
Old 02-22-2019, 07:58 PM

Definitely power trim. U won’t regret it. As for the horse power goes. What is the max hp is it rated for. It will say on the name plate. If there is one thing I have learnt with all the boats I have owned, Outfit it with the max hp the boat is rated for or very close to it. I know too many people that have lived to regret it.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:21 PM

Some really good advice here...I would also suggest going the max hp the boat will allow. I have a 14 ft Lund with a 25 and some days I sure wish I had the power tilt/trim. As you get older I’m sure you would appreciate it more and more IMO. Tight lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2019, 09:37 PM

I have this exact boat with a 40hp Yamaha that I recently lost compression in one cylinder. With 2 people and gear this boat will go awesome, 4 people and it won't get on plane. I just recently purchased a 50hp etec with power tilt and rpm control. My Yamaha didn't have any options and I could pull it up, but it wasn't very easy to do. Hope this helps.

Also, if anyone is looking at a Yamaha 40hp with 50psi in the bottom cylinder, let me know. $1000.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:39 AM

I had a fury with the 25hp merc. No way is it enough power.

Put a 40HP 4 stroker on the boat with power tilt for sure
Old 02-23-2019, 10:19 AM

OK, well I still have some money left so here is a 2.0 to this thread.

I did some looking around (already had done a lot) and I have found a smoking deal on a 1600 Fury SS that comes with a 40 hp. Looks like I can get it for the same money, maybe cheaper than a tiller with a 40.

i really hadn't considered the console. The maintenance really turns me off and I really like that the tiller has more floor space. Those were my deciding factors, so it made no sense to spend more money.

So I will ask the question...........anyone think I will regret buying the tiller over the console, since they are both basically going to be the same money?
Old 02-23-2019, 10:53 AM

I have the Fury 14' side console with 30hp Honda. The 30 is max rating for the 14, and I would like more. A 40 on the 16 would probably be about the same performance, the 25 would be a dog.

Since I fish alone all the time, the side console is nice, especially when running the length of the lake at 40 kph in rain. The floor space is reduced significantly, but the layout with multiple fisherman will be up to the kind of fishing that you do. Two people casting will be the comfortable limit in either layout. Balance is better with the console when alone, you will be aft heavy alone in the tiller and will need the power trim.

The only extra maintenance with a console is greasing the steering cable, which I have done once in 5 years. What else is there?

I really like my Fury and what sold me is the large storage compared to other 14 footers, and I can launch it easily in windy conditions by myself.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I have the Fury 14' side console with 30hp Honda.

The only extra maintenance with a console is greasing the steering cable, which I have done once in 5 years. What else is there?

I really like my Fury and what sold me is the large storage compared to other 14 footers, and I can launch it easily in windy conditions by myself.
I used to own an old boat, and it seemed I was constantly fixing something every year, and it all dealt with the console, and it really was a drag. Our season is just too short to be waiting on parts.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
as said lots befor....Do it once and do it right!!! max the HP......if you can I would also ABSOLUTELY go for a 2 stroke E-Tec. these are NOT your dads 2 strokes. they DO NOT Smoke or stink, or are they loud or gas guzzlers an E-Tec at idle will burn less then a 4 stroke. As for trolling...again not like the old motors. you can Idle troll for hours without any ill affects as the motor compensates fuel, air and oil mixtures as conditions change......Its hard for people to accept the new 2 strokes out threre. everything is auto mixed. The new 100 to 1 synthetics have absolutely no smoke or fumes, except normal exhaust. You will end up with a motor with a higher HP rating but weighs A LOT less then a 4 stroke, fewer moving parts to maintain, a better warrenty, and honestly......just a better power plant all over with a more reliable start. i know....not what people think of in a 2 stroke....but as i mentioned, these are not from days of old, and are just amazing really.
There’s some truth to this for sure, but also some things that are not necessarily accurate. I’d suggest the OP do some research of their own, compare the actual specs and gather real world experience from people who’ve run the different brands.

The biggest thing is, Bombardier now owns Alumacraft, and Lund is part of the Brunswick Corp., therefore pretty much Mercury only. Getting a Lund with an ETEC will require jumping through a lot of hoops and quite a bit more $$$$.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
OK, well I still have some money left so here is a 2.0 to this thread.

I did some looking around (already had done a lot) and I have found a smoking deal on a 1600 Fury SS that comes with a 40 hp. Looks like I can get it for the same money, maybe cheaper than a tiller with a 40.

i really hadn't considered the console. The maintenance really turns me off and I really like that the tiller has more floor space. Those were my deciding factors, so it made no sense to spend more money.

So I will ask the question...........anyone think I will regret buying the tiller over the console, since they are both basically going to be the same money?
I really don’t see there being much difference at all in required maintenance.

The console is really nice when travelling, especially in bad conditions, but you give up A LOT of useable floor space and fishability.

I’m a windshield guy lol, but in that size of boat and outboard, I’d really lean toward the tiller. I think you get a more functional and practical boat, and it’s definitely as easy and low maintenance as you can get.