Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-20-2019, 06:36 PM

Sorry,

Missed you mooserivertrapper
Old 02-20-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I think the question is if they actually guide or the employment is a legal work-around to pay the land owner for access.

If the land owner is actually guiding, then have at it.
Exactly
Old 02-20-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Kyle and and smokin got it all figured out! Lol
Not all.

They missed the part where they lie to landowners about being outfitters.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Not all.

They missed the part where they lie to landowners about being outfitters.
How can you lie about being an outfitter, then pay the landowners to hunt on their land ? Or are residents really forking out big money for land access ?
Old 02-20-2019, 07:20 PM

On another topic

In all seriousness how much do you think Outfitters would be paying for exclusive access to land ?
Old 02-20-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
How can you lie about being an outfitter, then pay the landowners to hunt on their land ? Or are residents really forking out big money for land access ?
Only the landowners they don't have on the payroll.

Of course they are going to try that route first, less overhead.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Only the landowners they don't have on the payroll.

Of course they are going to try that route first, less overhead.
So first route is lie, then second route is pay them off ?

Just want to be clear for my how to instruction manual 👍
Old 02-20-2019, 08:23 PM

No,no,

First route is offer the landowners to be their "land hunting manager", and handle all the calls from those pesky resident and non resident hunters seeking permission.

The other routes won't be nessessary if you get that sorted out.

Surprised they didn't share that with you.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:06 PM

I’ve enjoyed hunts in other jurisdictions, and firmly believe that Alberta should offer the same opportunities to non-residents. I think the hunter host program is a great way for friends and family to experience what Alberta has to offer.

The number of these threads that descend towards outfitter and land owner bashing is depressing.

Gerry Burnie
Old 02-20-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
No, no, no,.. Like tork and backpacker keep touting.

When non Albertans come to the province they are helping out the small communities economies,,,,,

Right?

Or is only when the outfitters get their cuts,,,,
Only when they leave the big dollars in the province using and outfit.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:23 AM

I have worked for a outfitter who guided on private and crown land. He had a dislike for locals....I have personally talked to a very large landowner who was talked into giving land access control to an outfitter. After realizing he let no one else on to hunt but his clients they pulled his permission and flat out said if your not a friend or local get lost (wmu 509). Same general area a guide was asking for permission to hunt and then guiding on the land. He got kicked off (wmu 510) also know alot of non resident canadians who have played the resident game for tags alot are from the east coast and a few from bc. It happens more than we think. I have also asked for permission to hunt elk in wmu 300 and have been told you have to be with outfit x as a client or no access. I have had migratory bird guides screw up hunts that I drove 4 hours to hunt with my nephew and father . They were told no access as family was coming to hunt. They did anyways. He lost land access to over 8000 acres .These are my personal experiences hunting in Alberta. If a tag takes more than 4 years to be drawn non resident canadians or aliens should not have tags through any avenues. I also like the idea put forth by the AFGA. No guiding for migratory birds on the weekends. Most working guys only get the weekends to hunt. Leave the work week for the outfitters. Just my 2 cents. It's cold out when it warms up take a kid fishing.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Where did you find these numbers?
I’d be interested to see what 2017 or 2018 was like due to the oil patch slow down.
I’m curious if it’s 300 total non resident draws or if that’s just the amount that had the priority?
I personally requested the information from F&W during the public survey regarding eliminating these licences.

This showed that claims regarding the severity of NR hunters effecting Resident's draw wait times was just smoke.
Instead of doing something to improve huntable populations, F&W was once again trying to manage/reduce hunters as a way to "improve" hunting.

As the data stated, approx. 1000 NR Canadian applicants, 300 licences were drawn, average Priority used was 3.3.
This shows most NR licences are Not going to high priority draws.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 02-22-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Bigger issues boys...like who is a resident of Alberta eligible to hold a resident license and enter resident draws?

Far too many resident “imposters” who do not live here and claim resident benefits, Minimum tangible empirical/measurable and monitor-able requirements are needed to curb this activity IMHO.

LC

Is it really?

Or is it like the opinion of many regarding NR Canadians in the draw,
not nearly the Big Issue that many claimed it to be?

I don't know the extent of this issue, and do wish it be investigated.

If you have information to back up your claim, please share.
If not....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 02-22-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Is it really?

If not....
So common anecdotal knowledge needs to be officially reported somewhere for it to be an issue? Gimme a break. We all know it happens and most likely on a large scale in a TRANSIENT province.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
So common anecdotal knowledge needs to be officially reported somewhere for it to be an issue? Gimme a break. We all know it happens and most likely on a large scale in a TRANSIENT province.
Exactly
Old 02-22-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
I have worked for a outfitter who guided on private and crown land. He had a dislike for locals....I have personally talked to a very large landowner who was talked into giving land access control to an outfitter. After realizing he let no one else on to hunt but his clients they pulled his permission and flat out said if your not a friend or local get lost (wmu 509). Same general area a guide was asking for permission to hunt and then guiding on the land. He got kicked off (wmu 510) also know alot of non resident canadians who have played the resident game for tags alot are from the east coast and a few from bc. It happens more than we think. I have also asked for permission to hunt elk in wmu 300 and have been told you have to be with outfit x as a client or no access. I have had migratory bird guides screw up hunts that I drove 4 hours to hunt with my nephew and father . They were told no access as family was coming to hunt. They did anyways. He lost land access to over 8000 acres .These are my personal experiences hunting in Alberta. If a tag takes more than 4 years to be drawn non resident canadians or aliens should not have tags through any avenues. I also like the idea put forth by the AFGA. No guiding for migratory birds on the weekends. Most working guys only get the weekends to hunt. Leave the work week for the outfitters. Just my 2 cents. It's cold out when it warms up take a kid fishing.
. 300 A or B ?
Old 02-22-2019, 09:18 PM

It was 300 b south side of the river. We had permission on the river land but could not get access on the park boundry were the elk were. Even had a land owner call and vouch for us. Many years ago. Same time as the environment groups were buying up land and the subdivision was being put through the courts
Old 02-23-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Is it really?

If not....
British Columbia changed the license system in 2018 to a paperless hunting license. You get a FWID number and when you purchase a tag that number is written on the tag.
You must carry government issued ID with your British Columbia address on it while hunting. No ID, then it’s the equivalent of hunting without a license because it’s void without being able to prove who you are.

License sales dropped by 8800 in the first year ! Out of province hunters hunting illegally was definitely a problem
Old 02-23-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Is it really?

If not....
Yup it's an issue I know people who have multiple WIN numbers...by accident, if it can happen by accident (lost a WIN card and reapplied getting a second one with new number, SAME information). People who use loop holes to hunt without hunter training. Non residents of Alberta using our system by using an address in Alberta as their own, obtaining a WIN to enter as though they are a resident.

That’s the point...there is no measurable and monitored system now to determine who is a true resident and who isn’t...basically an honor system, and you know what they say about thieves. There is no definition or minimum requirements that are monitored and enforced.

Several stake holders have put forth resolutions to help fix this issue. Including your beloved AFGA.

So is it a BIGGER issue than what the OP is about...yes it is.

LC
Old 02-23-2019, 02:05 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
British Columbia changed the license system in 2018 to a paperless hunting license...
Further to that end - Your FWID number requires verification every three years to remain valid. That must be provided in the way of official government identification.

The program to eliminate cheaters has been well engaged now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yup it's an issue I know people who have multiple WIN numbers...by accident, if it can happen by accident (lost a WIN card and reapplied getting a second one with new number, SAME information). People who use loop holes to hunt without hunter training. Non residents of Alberta using our system by using an address in Alberta as their own, obtaining a WIN to enter as though they are a resident.
And I suppose you personally reported every one of these violators... Right??

Perhaps if the problem is nearly as large as you suggest, it is time for Alberta to follow BC's lead in cracking down on them...

Nog
Old 02-23-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Further to that end - Your FWID number requires verification every three years to remain valid. That must be provided in the way of official government identification.

The program to eliminate cheaters has been well engaged now.

And I suppose you personally reported every one of these violators... Right??

Perhaps if the problem is nearly as large as you suggest, it is time for Alberta to follow BC's lead in cracking down on them...

Nog
So you have to resubmit your FWID every 3 years ? I didn’t know that. The fact you need Government ID on you if you’re hunting is huge. Completely eliminates the double dipping or bull**** having an address at a friends to get a license.
100% Alberta should be doing the exact same thing
Old 02-23-2019, 02:51 PM
Banned

Big problem is there is no waiting period to be a resident hunter in Alberta
Old 02-23-2019, 02:56 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
So you have to resubmit your FWID every 3 years ? I didn’t know that.
The way they go about this is to make your FWID "Invalid".
This happened to pretty well every one I know this year. You must submit government issued picture ID in order for it to be reactivated.

Gov picture ID in hand when hunting addresses the same concern, but even more directly.

IF the situation is as dire as Lefty would have you believe (or even if it isn't) it is highly advisable Alberta follow suit to address these concerns IMHO.

Cheers,
Nog
Old 02-23-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Big problem is there is no waiting period to be a resident hunter in Alberta
So true. I live in BC right now and could move to Alberta on the 20th of August and switch everything over and become an Alberta resident in a couple days of doing the paperwork. Go hunt bighorns for a month and then move back to BC.

I'd lose my BC residency for 6 months, but for someone living in a different province that doesn't have a wait period they could essentially hop back and forth for the cost of a rental agreement, a driver's license change, etc.

Unfortunately its too easy to become an Alberta resident for hunting rights.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
So true. I live in BC right now and could move to Alberta on the 20th of August and switch everything over and become an Alberta resident in a couple days of doing the paperwork. Go hunt bighorns for a month and then move back to BC.

I'd lose my BC residency for 6 months, but for someone living in a different province that doesn't have a wait period they could essentially hop back and forth for the cost of a rental agreement, a driver's license change, etc.

Unfortunately its too easy to become an Alberta resident for hunting rights.
Now you've done it! Gone and given some ****** a bright idea. Probably a bunch of meat-head(s) from Sask., working in Ft. Mac, planning their sheep hunt as we speak lol
Old 02-23-2019, 03:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
Now you've done it! Gone and given some ****** a bright idea. Probably a bunch of meat-head(s) from Sask., working in Ft. Mac, planning their sheep hunt as we speak lol
Oh Im pretty sure the ones from further east have been doing this for a long time
Old 02-23-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
It was 300 b south side of the river. We had permission on the river land but could not get access on the park boundry were the elk were. Even had a land owner call and vouch for us. Many years ago. Same time as the environment groups were buying up land and the subdivision was being put through the courts
Yup , that still happens over on B side ..
Old 02-24-2019, 09:52 AM

I was the the Fish and Game AGM this past weekend and there was mention from individuals in AEP that they were looking at some sort of legislation or way to work with other provincial hunting jurisdictions to ensure that an individual can only be resident in any single province or territory. They didn’t give us a ton of information, just that they were trying to work on it.
Hopefully this will significantly reduce those guys that have multiple residential addresses and are able to hunt as “resident hunters” in multiple jurisdictions.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
I was the the Fish and Game AGM this past weekend and there was mention from individuals in AEP that they were looking at some sort of legislation or way to work with other provincial hunting jurisdictions to ensure that an individual can only be resident in any single province or territory. They didn’t give us a ton of information, just that they were trying to work on it.
Hopefully this will significantly reduce those guys that have multiple residential addresses and are able to hunt as “resident hunters” in multiple jurisdictions.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s a very simple solution, they need to have a drivers license or government ID with the province they wish to hunt in with them for their hunting licenses to be legal.

Done deal
Old 02-24-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
It’s a very simple solution, they need to have a drivers license or government ID with the province they wish to hunt in with them for their hunting licenses to be legal.

Done deal
Wow for real a driver's license or government ID to the province they wish to hunt in for that hunting license to be legal .

so if someone that wanted to hunt all the provinces they would need all the different driver licenses / government ID not practical .Done deal
if I'm understanding you correctly