Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-16-2019, 06:21 PM

Default Hog Hunting Rifle Choice

From my research and by nature of these critters, it seems quick follow up shots capitalize on your opportunities when hunting wild hogs. I am curious what seasoned hog hunters would use for caliber and rifle selection to maximize the harvest opportunity of pigs when a large collection of them presents itself.

I am thinking semi-automatic with enough to get the job done but manageable recoil to keep you on target and minimize muzzle jump allowing you to harvest multiple animals in a shoot.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:26 PM

Double post....rookie mistake!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-16-2019, 06:27 PM

I would think an AR in 50 Beuwolf would be dandy, and probably no need for a follow up shot...even 300 Blackout. If one were being serious about it. I'd love to try hogs with my Colt Anaconda Hunter, but apparently that is far too terrifying to be permitted....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-16-2019, 06:52 PM

The 300 blackout makes sense for this.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badone20 View Post
The 300 blackout makes sense for this.
And, it's cool....

Old 02-16-2019, 07:07 PM

Watch the program Wild Boar Fever, and see what the pros use. They kill a lot of hogs in a short time, and they use bolt action rifles.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:28 PM

Where are you hunting them at and what style of hunting? I killed one that was around 300 lbs with a 220 Swift hunting from a blind where I had a solid test and time to set up. For spot and stalk in the thick stuff, I would probably take my Winchester lever action 30-30 with a ghost ring sight. Unless your hunting at night or have a crew driving them past you, I think multiple shots at multiple pigs is unlikely. Dick 284’s Mennonite machine gun would be the ticket if you did get into a bunch of them. My girls each shot one with a 257 Roberts last week. It penetrated the shoulder of a 150lb boar no problem.

Gerry Burnie
Old 02-16-2019, 08:50 PM

A lot of folk down south use an AR platform in .223 or 6.8spc. If I had a trip planned I’d take my AR and probably build one in 6.8 to use with my suppressor. I’d also take my 35 Remington!
Old 02-16-2019, 09:37 PM

Merkel Helix rifles seem to be the choice of some serious hog hunters in other countries. They have a straight pull bolt.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-16-2019, 10:17 PM

Default Rifle of choice

Blaser R8
Way faster than any traditional bolt gun. Straight- pull guns rock!
Old 02-16-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Blaser R8
Way faster than any traditional bolt gun. Straight- pull guns rock!
Gotta agree with that one. The Italians like 30-39 levers too
Old 02-17-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
Where are you hunting them at and what style of hunting? I killed one that was around 300 lbs with a 220 Swift hunting from a blind where I had a solid test and time to set up. For spot and stalk in the thick stuff, I would probably take my Winchester lever action 30-30 with a ghost ring sight. Unless your hunting at night or have a crew driving them past you, I think multiple shots at multiple pigs is unlikely. Dick 284’s Mennonite machine gun would be the ticket if you did get into a bunch of them. My girls each shot one with a 257 Roberts last week. It penetrated the shoulder of a 150lb boar no problem.
Hunting farmland and posting where they are coming out to feed. Group of at least 30 or so come out in the evenings. I have a 25.06 or a 300wm i can use but both are bolt guns. So was thinking of a semi to maximize my opportunities in these types of situations where the possibility is there for multiple targets.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Hunting farmland and posting where they are coming out to feed. Group of at least 30 or so come out in the evenings. I have a 25.06 or a 300wm i can use but both are bolt guns. So was thinking of a semi to maximize my opportunities in these types of situations where the possibility is there for multiple targets.
If you keep the rifle shouldered, and cycle the action as you swing from target to target, you will be able to kill multiple animals with a bolt action. And you can use a magazine with as many rounds as you choose with a bolt action.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:09 PM

Winchester/Marlin 30/30 would do just fine...or an SKS.......
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:12 PM

BCL102 in 308 or any other 308 variant. Quick follow up shoots and pretty darn accurate to 450yrds
Old 02-20-2019, 10:24 AM

Where are you planning on doing your hog hunting?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:48 AM

Bolt or lever should be fine. After the first shot they will scatter fast and are low to the ground. Unless you get them crossing in front of you, one or two good shots are all that will be likely.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:18 PM

If I was going to my safe it would be Winchester 100, Finnwolf or Winchester/Marlin 30-30. So basically what everyone else is saying semi or lever
Old 02-20-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Merkel Helix rifles seem to be the choice of some serious hog hunters in other countries. They have a straight pull bolt.
+1 on a Merkel Helix straight pull over any other straight pull like a Blaser R8.

You get more rounds in a magazine than the Blaser, and the magazines are inexpensive enough to carry 4 of them in your pocket, vs the $500 trigger assembly/magazine in the Blaser.

Boar hunting is the only hunt that an R8 isn't the perfect rifle for.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas12 View Post
+1 on a Merkel Helix straight pull over any other straight pull like a Blaser R8.

You get more rounds in a magazine than the Blaser, and the magazines are inexpensive enough to carry 4 of them in your pocket, vs the $500 trigger assembly/magazine in the Blaser.

Boar hunting is the only hunt that an R8 isn't the perfect rifle for.
And yet some of the most well known driven hog hunters don't use straight pull actions at all, they use Sauer rifles with conventional bolt actions. And if you watch the best of them in action, a regular bolt action doesn't appear to be a handicap.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:09 PM

Default Any deer rifle will do fine

Good chance to pull out your old Lee Enfield, too.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And yet some of the most well known driven hog hunters don't use straight pull actions at all, they use Sauer rifles with conventional bolt actions. And if you watch the best of them in action, a regular bolt action doesn't appear to be a handicap.
Not a handicap wutsoever....long before Wild Boar Fever was hatched there was a vid on youtube(somewhere in Europe) and this guy was a killing machine with a bolt rifle,just folding up broadside running hogs left,right and center one after another,one helluva good shot with rifle,most guys wouldn’t have that kind of hit percentage with a shotgun,lol
This guy was like running rifle shot Level EXPERT...WOW...pretty impressive!!😎
Old 02-25-2019, 03:22 PM

I'd think that in close range, a 357 mag lever carbine would be great.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:52 PM

Who is the member here that has the sig line that reads something like “back in the day before we became so affluent that we have a different rifle/caliber for everything we might hunt.....”??
I wouldn’t concern myself with a specialty rifle for hog hunting...just grab your favorite fast handling deer rifle,the one that you’ve shot dozens of bush deer with over decades of hunting and have at’er.
For me that’s be my ol Rem 760 30-06 topped with 1.5-4.5x Elite 3200 and my 2 spare mags for it....or as somebody posted here earlier the ol Mennonite machine gun,lol
I’d pity the herd of hogs that crosses my path toting that rifle ,there’d be some pile of bacon hitting the dirt. 😝

Last edited by West O'5; 02-25-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 04:08 PM
Banned

Talking

'Nuff Said,
Nog
Old 02-25-2019, 06:12 PM
Banned

223 works lol

Headshot and drop
Old 02-26-2019, 09:00 AM

45-70 with 300 grain power shocks work well.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:17 AM
Banned

Default Experience

Quote:
From my research and by nature of these critters, it seems quick follow up shots capitalize on your opportunities when hunting wild hogs. I am curious what seasoned hog hunters would use for caliber and rifle selection to maximize the harvest opportunity of pigs when a large collection of them presents itself.

I am thinking semi-automatic with enough to get the job done but manageable recoil to keep you on target and minimize muzzle jump allowing you to harvest multiple animals in a shoot.
If you talk to someone with actual first hand knowledge, I bet they will tell you to use what you shoot the best with. For me its a lever or most likely a semi.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:21 AM

SKS with hunting loads would probably work pretty good.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Not a handicap wutsoever....long before Wild Boar Fever was hatched there was a vid on youtube(somewhere in Europe) and this guy was a killing machine with a bolt rifle,just folding up broadside running hogs left,right and center one after another,one helluva good shot with rifle,most guys wouldn’t have that kind of hit percentage with a shotgun,lol
This guy was like running rifle shot Level EXPERT...WOW...pretty impressive!!😎
I think that guy was a Sauer Factory Team shooter. Looked like the Sauer 202 he was shooting. Amazing !!