Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-04-2018, 09:31 PM

Default 12ga emptys

We were looking into doing some reloading of 12 ga shells , light loads 7/1/2 8s for target clays.Is there anywhere around calgary to pick up a few 100 emptys,and for that matter,reasonally priced powder and shot?
Old 02-04-2018, 09:42 PM

Unless you are making your own shot,you won't save much by loading 12 gauge target loads. You can purchase shot, primers, powder and wads from Allan Day out of Carstairs.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:44 PM

Default reloads

Thanks,i was thinking that,would the same apply for heavy steel loads,All water fowlers in the group.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:30 AM

Loading components for steel shot are even harder to find and overly expensive in Canada
Old 02-05-2018, 05:50 AM

Yeah, unless you enjoy it and have time to burn, just not economically worth it.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:28 AM

You can save a lot loading sub gauge target loads, 28 gauge and 410 can be loaded for half of what you can buy them for, but 12 gauge isn't worthwhile, unless you need specialty loads.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
We were looking into doing some reloading of 12 ga shells , light loads 7/1/2 8s for target clays.Is there anywhere around calgary to pick up a few 100 emptys,and for that matter,reasonally priced powder and shot?
I have a couple of 5 gallon pails full of hulls. Mostly 12 ga, with some 20's, 28's in the mix. Yours if you want to pick them up, or I could bring them with me next time I come to the city.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:32 AM

Default Sharpen your pencil

You can't load the taget stuff for what you can buy them for. Ask elk, he is an expert.

The sub gauges are way cheaper, especially if the hulls are free. The shot is the most expensive component and a .410 doesn't take all that much.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:32 AM
Banned

I've been told they have to be a one piece plastic hull
Old 02-05-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly 12 View Post
I've been told they have to be a one piece plastic hull
Hulls with the paper base wads are a poor choice, because they absorb moisture.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:01 AM

Default Hulls

The Calgary Firearms Center sells once fired hulls , They are a trap club just south of Calgary.

From their site ;

Winchester AA Hulls 6 cents each 500 +/- hulls for $30.00
Challenger Hulls 3 cents each 500 +/- hulls for $15.00
Remington Hulls 4 cents each 500 +/- hulls for $20.00
Old 02-05-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
There is no reasonable priced powder and shot. Loading only seems to pay for the small gauges. I load for the 12 but I usually load only 7/8 ro 3/4 oz.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Hulls with the paper base wads are a poor choice, because they absorb moisture.
I have never had a problem with moisture but I worry thataAfter a few loadings the base wad can come loose and there is a danger of obstructing the bore. I used to load hulls like top gun with a base wad, but would only do it one time and then only in a break action firearms so I could see if it cleared the bore. Never in one of my auto loaders.

Now I only load Win AA, Remington Gun Club and Federal Gold Medal.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I have never had a problem with moisture but I worry thataAfter a few loadings the base wad can come loose and there is a danger of obstructing the bore. I used to load hulls like top gun with a base wad, but would only do it one time and then only in a break action firearms so I could see if it cleared the bore. Never in one of my auto loaders.

Now I only load Win AA, Remington Gun Club and Federal Gold Medal.

newer win AA hulls are not the same as the older compression formed AA hulls. I am also looking for a couple thousand of the 2- 3/4" Remington compression formed STS or Gun Club hulls, or the old Winchester AA compression hulls. pretty hard to find, those that have them want to keep them. I'm thinking if I can't find any this upcoming shotgun season, I'll be forced to swap some of my cast Lyman pellet slugs just to break some loose.
Old 02-05-2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
newer win AA hulls are not the same as the older compression formed AA hulls. I am also looking for a couple thousand of the 2- 3/4" Remington compression formed STS or Gun Club hulls, or the old Winchester AA compression hulls. pretty hard to find, those that have them want to keep them. I'm thinking if I can't find any this upcoming shotgun season, I'll be forced to swap some of my cast Lyman pellet slugs just to break some loose.

I know they are not the same. I have both types of AA hulls and you are correct, those that have them want to keep them. I just sold the last of my gun club hulls
Old 02-07-2018, 08:36 PM

Alan Day in North Calgary or his brother Don Day at Silver Willow Sporting clays for components and maybe hulls. Calagry Firearms Center for hulls. Will Bilozir in Okotoks has reloading supplies including steel shot and usually Bismuth as well.