Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-01-2017, 01:19 PM

Smile Kinglet Lake

Hi All,

This is my first post to the community here so please bear with me.

I started fly fishing 4 years ago and recently have wanted to combine fly fishing with hiking. I've fished at a number of rivers here in Alberta (Old Man, Lil Smoky, Ram River, Wild Hay, and also completed a handful of day hikes but I've never actually stayed overnight.

Anyways, I am planning with a few friends to do the Kinglet Lake Hike (near the Two O'clock Creek Campground) on the July long weekend and was hoping you guys might be able to provide me with some info I haven't been able to find online.

1. Can anyone confirm that we do not require any special camping permits, etc to stay overnight? Simply just show up & camp? I have purchased a bear barrell / bag that I is air tight and I can hang from tree. Let me know if there is anything else in particular I might need, I've referenced this checklist. http://www.edmontonoutdoorclub.com/e...ackpacking.asp

2. Since we plan on staying overnight there, does anyone know what kind of temperature we can anticipate for this time of year? I've read two sides to the scale, one person saying it was -5 to -10 due to elevation and another saying 5 degrees worst case scenario. I may need to upgrade my sleeping bag or buy one of those Thermolite liners if it is in the negatives.

3. I read online that there is minimal deadfall up there and to plan for not being able to have a fire, can anyone confirm or deny?

4. I'll be catching cutties up there, if anyone knows any particular flies that worked out for you when you were up there, please let me know.

I've included below, a website with a brief description / photos taken of the hike / lake and the trailhead marker in hopes that it helps others in the future find the necessary info

http://www.albertawow.com/hikes/King..._Lake_Hike.htm

http://albertasportsman.com/alberta-...let-lake-trip/

https://goo.gl/maps/dnQkSd6A36m
Old 05-01-2017, 06:36 PM

I was up there twice last year.
Very nice place.

You dont need any special licence to camp.

I would not recommend this for your first overnight backpack. Its a real grunter without the tent.

I think both of your friends are correct. Depends if your a plan-for-the-worst or a take-my-chances kinda guy.

Its sheltered so you wont get major winds but it is up high so air is a little chiller.

I would feel comfortable with a 0 sleeping bag and long undies.

Minimal deadfall at campsites because of stunted trees but large treed area nearby, just might have to walk for a bit.

Fishing is tough, because lake is so small, they can see you at every spot. But it is a high mountain lake so they are hungry.

There is a princess portapotty at the lake, and they do notclose this one during off season.

Please pack out everything, its a pretty pristine place that deserves respect.
Last time I was there, people stuffed their garbage bag in the portapotty , making it unusable.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:09 PM

Hi Map Maker,

Thanks for the advice!

Is there any overnight hikes that you could suggest for beginners? My friends and I are definitely in shape so I am not too worried about the trek up. We will be up there for two nights so I think having the day in between to recuperate might help as well.

I'm a plan for the worst kinda person so I think I will pick up a bag liner to help.

And no worries, I am definitely aiming to leave behind absolutely zero trace of us being there, wherever we end up going.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:38 PM

If your in good shape, go for it.
There is one part, that is extremely steep. If it rained, it would be pretty dangerous coming down with a big pack. You'll remember it going up.

I personally wouldnt take somene into kinglet for the first time.
I would probably start with an easy hike like allstones to be sure they enjoy every part of the trip.

Be sure you know your way, as it is known goofballs remove the rock arrows to "hide" the correct turnoff.

Good luck
Old 05-02-2017, 09:48 PM

Smile

If your camping out take a light bag and layer up on clothes at night. Easy to strip down if too warm, split the load of camp between two of you, even better is to just use a bivy and don't worry about the tent. The hike has one real nasty stretch that I honestly will probably never do again with a backpack on (I've done it twice). As said above it isn't for the faint of heart, but ignorance is bliss when you go the first time. As it seems that the lake is always "just over the next hill" lol. Give yourselves lots of time for the trip up and you will enjoy it. Take lots of pics!
Old 05-02-2017, 09:58 PM

I have done a fair bit of hiking/mountaineering in the area. Kinglet may still have ice on it this time of year; I would consider giving it a month or so.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:24 PM

I think he said July long weekend, I doubt ice will be an issue
Old 05-03-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archercurt View Post
If your camping out take a light bag and layer up on clothes at night. Easy to strip down if too warm, split the load of camp between two of you, even better is to just use a bivy and don't worry about the tent. The hike has one real nasty stretch that I honestly will probably never do again with a backpack on (I've done it twice). As said above it isn't for the faint of heart, but ignorance is bliss when you go the first time. As it seems that the lake is always "just over the next hill" lol. Give yourselves lots of time for the trip up and you will enjoy it. Take lots of pics!
Thanks for the heads up . I am thinking I will leave my tent at home and just take my hammock w/ tarp for cover. That should lighten the pack up 5-6lbs. I know the feeling of "never ending", I did a day hike to Southfork Lakes last year (10km ea. way, 800m elev. gain vs Kinglet's 7.5km, 800m gain). Seemed like every time you think you might be over the hump, another climb became visible haha. I was wearing my pack carrying my waders and float tube, boots, flippers, & rod so I'm thinking it should be similar weight to my camping gear. Might have to pack them both up & compare.

Either way, if I do Kinglet or an easier hike I will be sure to post lots of pic's!
Old 05-03-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Noel View Post
I have done a fair bit of hiking/mountaineering in the area. Kinglet may still have ice on it this time of year; I would consider giving it a month or so.
Yeah, we will be going July long weekend so it may be freezing cold still but hopefully not frozen.

I'm thinking of completing a smaller scale overnight hike to get some experience under my belt in the next 2-3 weeks, is there any places you could suggest that wouldn't be frozen over?
Old 05-03-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiking&fishing View Post
Hi All,

This is my first post to the community here so please bear with me.

I started fly fishing 4 years ago and recently have wanted to combine fly fishing with hiking. I've fished at a number of rivers here in Alberta (Old Man, Lil Smoky, Ram River, Wild Hay, and also completed a handful of day hikes but I've never actually stayed overnight.

Anyways, I am planning with a few friends to do the Kinglet Lake Hike (near the Two O'clock Creek Campground) on the July long weekend and was hoping you guys might be able to provide me with some info I haven't been able to find online.

1. Can anyone confirm that we do not require any special camping permits, etc to stay overnight? Simply just show up & camp? I have purchased a bear barrell / bag that I is air tight and I can hang from tree. Let me know if there is anything else in particular I might need, I've referenced this checklist. http://www.edmontonoutdoorclub.com/e...ackpacking.asp

2. Since we plan on staying overnight there, does anyone know what kind of temperature we can anticipate for this time of year? I've read two sides to the scale, one person saying it was -5 to -10 due to elevation and another saying 5 degrees worst case scenario. I may need to upgrade my sleeping bag or buy one of those Thermolite liners if it is in the negatives.

3. I read online that there is minimal deadfall up there and to plan for not being able to have a fire, can anyone confirm or deny?

4. I'll be catching cutties up there, if anyone knows any particular flies that worked out for you when you were up there, please let me know.

I've included below, a website with a brief description / photos taken of the hike / lake and the trailhead marker in hopes that it helps others in the future find the necessary info

http://www.albertawow.com/hikes/King..._Lake_Hike.htm

http://albertasportsman.com/alberta-...let-lake-trip/

https://goo.gl/maps/dnQkSd6A36m
1) no permits required that I'm aware of and I've been up there a couple times !
2) it's going to be ultra cold at this time of year. I was there in early September and it was already below zero.
3) there's minimal deadfall around the lake yes, but if you go back towards the trail you came in on, it's littered with wood so a few hundred meter walk will allow you some burning material!
4) the fish in there are spooky at some times yes, and they've all been caught a ton. They're pretty cookie cutter size but so much fun! Flies that kill it up there are size 12 olive leeches, bloodworms, snow cones, and size 22 black gnats. I'm glad they have it catch and release because there are probably only 500 fish in that tiny lake. It's a very sensitive population. [IMG][/IMG]

Tags
backpacking, camping, fishing, hiking, kinglet lake