Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-30-2018, 04:12 AM

Default Hoyt

I just purchased the new Hoyt Rx1 carbon anyone have any feedback on this bow, was very pricey
Old 01-30-2018, 05:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Make bi-monthly payments...enjoy the bow.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-30-2018, 09:06 AM

What do you want us to say, you've already bought it, don't get what your looking for out of this post. Did you not look into it before buying?
Old 01-30-2018, 11:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughgoat View Post
What do you want us to say, you've already bought it, don't get what your looking for out of this post. Did you not look into it before buying?
It's an awesome bow congrats on purchase
Old 01-30-2018, 07:15 PM

Looking at some today, I don’t know if it’s how they were supposed to be manufactured, but the top limbs were way off, and where the carbon and metal meet on the riser it looked like the riser was bent. If you were looking at it straight on, It did not look right at all. Looked at the hyper force, it didn’t seem to have the same wow in it. So I wonder if that is something that Hoyt did on purpose, or if there are manufacturers flaws in the design of the riser?? Take a look at yours. If you look at it from the front, it will kind of bow off to the side of the mounting bracket for sight and rest. Also, looking at it from the back, it almost looks like the limbs aren’t square to the riser. This caused major cam lean as well. This was on a bow that had not been tuned. But still, it looked pretty terrible. Hopefully it was just all in my head. I love the looks of them other than that.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:35 PM
Banned

I went to the shop a few weeks back and shot the RX-1 along side my Carbon Defiant and actually preferred my Carbon Defiant. Then I shot my Carbon Defiant Turbo along side the RX-1 Turbo and preferred the RX-1 Turbo. Then I shot the RX-1 along side the RX-1 Turbo and preferred the RX-1 Turbo.

I sold my Carbon Defiant Turbo and bought an RX-1 Turbo, but still think I like my Carbon Defiant better than the RX-1 Turbo.

The RX-1's have a nice draw and nice valley, but they like to jump at the shot, and for some reason the regular RX-1 seems to have more jump than the Turbo model??? Another thing is, is they are about 1/4 pound heavier than the Carbon Defiant. The new RX-1's tune a lot easier than the Carbon Defiant did, but that doesn't matter to me because I just have Lawrence at Accurate Archery set up my bows for me and they all shoot bullet holes. The new grip on the RX-1 is nice but I still prefer side plates. They moved the grip lower on the bow to improve balance but after it's all decked out I can't feel the difference.

Like all new bows, it's the best thing ever, but time will tell if it lives up to the hype I guess. And ya, they are pricey, about $500 over priced if you ask me.

So as far as the Turbo model goes,

Pros:
Easy tune
Nice factory grip
Fast
Nice draw
Has a valley
Has a rear stabilizer mount built into the riser
The new blackout edition looks sick!

Cons:
Heavy
Has a bit of a jump compared to the Defiant
Does not have an adjustable rotating mod like the Defiant Turbo
Over priced

All in all I figure it's a pretty nice bow but I haven't shot it with a sight yet to be able to get a real feel for it. Just have to dress her up with some green strings and dampeners.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:13 AM

Kurt, thanks for the pics and updates. Those are 2 sweet looking bows. What speeds with with what arrow are you getting with the new turbo?
Old 01-31-2018, 08:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prdtrgttr View Post
Kurt, thanks for the pics and updates. Those are 2 sweet looking bows. What speeds with with what arrow are you getting with the new turbo?
I'm getting right around 300fps with a 436gr arrow @ 29"/70#. With my Carbon Defiant and #2 cam set at 28.5"/75# and the same arrow I'm getting 295fps.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:32 AM
Banned

Holy crap, that’s fast from that Defiant. I have the Pro Defiant 34, 29.5” 63lb, 449 grain arrow and I’m at 265fps over one chrono and 270 over another one. Theoretically, from the calculators, with the same set up but with a 390 grain arrow I can get to 285fps.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Holy crap, that’s fast from that Defiant. I have the Pro Defiant 34, 29.5” 63lb, 449 grain arrow and I’m at 265fps over one chrono and 270 over another one. Theoretically, from the calculators, with the same set up but with a 390 grain arrow I can get to 285fps.
That is pretty quick for 63lbs. My crx32 maxes out at 73lbs, and with a 28” draw and 390 gr. Arrows I’m getting 290fps. For you to be able to attain that with 10 lbs less draw weight is awesome. I mean, obviously the longer draw length accounts for some of that, but the rest is definitely in the technology. Bows have come a long way in the last 7 years.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
At 29" with my Reign 7 and a 395gr arrow @68lbs I am getting 300fps in comfort setting.

LC
Old 01-31-2018, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
You are using a #3 cam I believe? A #2 cam maxed out will outperform a #3 in medium setting but the he draw will be a little more stout.

I brought it to the bow whisperer (Lawrence) to lengthen out the draw for me because I'm a 29" draw but the #2 only goes to 28. Lawrence twisted up my cables a bit to stretch it out a little and swapping the factory handle with side plates got it to where it feels like a 29" draw. As an added bonus I gained 5lbs draw weight. My Carbon Defiant Turbo shoots about 2fps or 3fps faster than my RX1 Turbo but that's at the top end of the #2 cam on the Defiant so I'm not surprised.

I have been bringing all my bow to Lawrence for many years to tune for me and I always walk out of there with a smile from ear to ear. I bet he could even make a Mathews feel good!!!!
Old 01-31-2018, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
At 29" with my Reign 7 and a 395gr arrow @68lbs I am getting 300fps in comfort setting.

LC
My riegn 7 is now on comfort and im 290 fps with 28 inch draw 410 grain arrow pretty close to same
Old 01-31-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
My riegn 7 is now on comfort and im 290 fps with 28 inch draw 410 grain arrow pretty close to same
Samzies

LC
Old 01-31-2018, 04:00 PM

Default Rx1

I tried them out quite a while ago initially, and my immediate impressions were that they were an improvement on the Defiant series of carbon bows. The equalizing yoke on the bottom, and the lowered grip placement were among the top items that caught my eye as big positives! The mass weight really meant nothing to me, since I just add weight to all my bows to make them feel right for me. I did like the draw cycle a little better too, with the new cam design. Overall, I thought that they were definitely a winner!

I recently re-tried them. This time, I was interested in a direct comparison between the Carbon Defiant Turbo and the RX1 Turbo, so I packed up my CDT and went to Accurate Archery to visit Lawrence and do some testing! Again, I really liked the draw cycle of the RX1 turbo over the CDT, as it had a much smoother transition to the valley, but the RX1 did load up quicker and stayed smooth through the whole draw cycle. I found that they were very similar after the shot, with perhaps the edge going to the CDT. Vibration wise, they were both very similar, but the edge did go to the RX1 for hold. It seemed to be a little more stable before, during and after the shot.

Finally, through the chronograph......I brought my hunting arrows, which have a finished weight of 423 grains, both bows were at close to 68.5", and were at 28" draw length. The CDT went over at 302 fps and the RX1 went over at 301 fps. Overall, performance was right on the noggin! Both pretty much smoking!

The bottom line - Congratulations to you Sir, you have purchased what could likely be called the best carbon bow that Hoyt has ever produced, and that the world has ever seen. When it comes to carbon bows, nobody even comes close to competing with Hoyt.

Enjoy your purchase and get out and shoot it lots!

Norm
Old 01-31-2018, 06:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
You are using a #3 cam I believe? A #2 cam maxed out will outperform a #3 in medium setting but the he draw will be a little more stout.

I brought it to the bow whisperer (Lawrence) to lengthen out the draw for me because I'm a 29" draw but the #2 only goes to 28. Lawrence twisted up my cables a bit to stretch it out a little and swapping the factory handle with side plates got it to where it feels like a 29" draw. As an added bonus I gained 5lbs draw weight. My Carbon Defiant Turbo shoots about 2fps or 3fps faster than my RX1 Turbo but that's at the top end of the #2 cam on the Defiant so I'm not surprised.

I have been bringing all my bow to Lawrence for many years to tune for me and I always walk out of there with a smile from ear to ear. I bet he could even make a Mathews feel good!!!!
Yes, I am using the #3 cam. It’s the 2.1 cam now isn’t it? I didn’t think the Defiant could get to 29.5” with the #2/2.1 cam. Do you need different strings and cables to do that as well as the cams?
Old 01-31-2018, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes, I am using the #3 cam. It’s the 2.1 cam now isn’t it? I didn’t think the Defiant could get to 29.5” with the #2/2.1 cam. Do you need different strings and cables to do that as well as the cams?
I don't think you can get 29.5 out of a # 2/2.1

Lawrence twisted my cables and gained me a half inch of draw, about 5 or 6 pounds of draw weight and 1/4" brace height. Can't go up too much more than that though. The #2 cam runs about 1/4" long or so maxed out, so with that, the side plates and Lawrence twisting the cables I was able to stretch it out so it feels like a 29" draw.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:55 PM

What a bow! One day I will upgrade my Bear bow to a Hoyt. I think my plan is to upgrade to a quivilizer, then a new sight first. Anyone running the quivilizer by chance? Seems like a top notch accessory
Old 02-08-2018, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duhwight View Post
What a bow! One day I will upgrade my Bear bow to a Hoyt. I think my plan is to upgrade to a quivilizer, then a new sight first. Anyone running the quivilizer by chance? Seems like a top notch accessory
Two things holding me back on one. Take an arrow out and it changes balance. Is it enough to make a difference? Probably not. Take three out, sure it will.
The other thing is the size. I don’t want anything that big sticking out in front of my bow while hunting.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:56 PM
Banned

I'm really liking the new turbo, it's turning out to be one of my favorite bows to date and I've only shot it a couple times so far.

I've got an 8" Fuse carbon torch on there for a stabilizer, king pin te for a sight, and a tight spot 5 arrow quiver with the quiver loaded I can feel it wanting to lean, I think I'll try a stokerized ss1 to see if it'll help balance that out.

The bow just doesn't have any creep to it at all, even when you start to get lazy and it's almost to the point of takeoff it's not trying to pull your arm off, it's like a slow start. Hoyt really did something amazing with the new turbo cam, it's the smoothest speed bow I've ever shot, even nicer than my Obsession def con m6, which says a lot.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
I tried them out quite a while ago initially, and my immediate impressions were that they were an improvement on the Defiant series of carbon bows. The equalizing yoke on the bottom, and the lowered grip placement were among the top items that caught my eye as big positives! The mass weight really meant nothing to me, since I just add weight to all my bows to make them feel right for me. I did like the draw cycle a little better too, with the new cam design. Overall, I thought that they were definitely a winner!

I recently re-tried them. This time, I was interested in a direct comparison between the Carbon Defiant Turbo and the RX1 Turbo, so I packed up my CDT and went to Accurate Archery to visit Lawrence and do some testing! Again, I really liked the draw cycle of the RX1 turbo over the CDT, as it had a much smoother transition to the valley, but the RX1 did load up quicker and stayed smooth through the whole draw cycle. I found that they were very similar after the shot, with perhaps the edge going to the CDT. Vibration wise, they were both very similar, but the edge did go to the RX1 for hold. It seemed to be a little more stable before, during and after the shot.

Finally, through the chronograph......I brought my hunting arrows, which have a finished weight of 423 grains, both bows were at close to 68.5", and were at 28" draw length. The CDT went over at 302 fps and the RX1 went over at 301 fps. Overall, performance was right on the noggin! Both pretty much smoking!

The bottom line - Congratulations to you Sir, you have purchased what could likely be called the best carbon bow that Hoyt has ever produced, and that the world has ever seen. When it comes to carbon bows, nobody even comes close to competing with Hoyt.

Enjoy your purchase and get out and shoot it lots!

Norm
Have you tried the new PSE Carbon bow? Hearing lots of great things about this bow and waiting for Jimbows to get 1 in to give it a try. From multiple threads on Archery Talk, people are choosing the PSE over the Hoyt.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Have you tried the new PSE Carbon bow? Hearing lots of great things about this bow and waiting for Jimbows to get 1 in to give it a try. From multiple threads on Archery Talk, people are choosing the PSE over the Hoyt.
This years PSE is better than previous years. The carbon was flaking off the string stop in previous years models.

LC
Old 02-09-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Two things holding me back on one. Take an arrow out and it changes balance. Is it enough to make a difference? Probably not. Take three out, sure it will.
The other thing is the size. I don’t want anything that big sticking out in front of my bow while hunting.
Good point. I know it has a pivot point that allows you to put it into a vertical position when you are not shooting. If I do end up ordering one I will post results
Old 02-09-2018, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
This years PSE is better than previous years. The carbon was flaking off the string stop in previous years models.

LC
It's also flaking around the sight mount. PSE is focused on making the lightest bow on the market, Hoyt has been in the carbon riser game for a bit longer and in my opinion build a much higher quality riser. They are a bit heavier, but that's because they put the right parts in the right places.

I haven't held a 2018 Stealth so I can't give an opinion on it, but I know the Carbon Air didn't do it for me. After just a year or two the finish is flaking off. If it was just paint wear it would be no problem but what will they look like 5 years down the road?
Old 02-09-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I have not seen one yet, but the previous offering they had wasn't that great. People always flock to the cheaper alternative, searching for something new. In the end the only carbon bows made that have been tried and tested are the Hoyts. Thats why the riser doesn't change much, because it's a home run. Perhaps PSE will get it right, but it will be 3 or 4 years till they will be considered successful, if they do.

Jmo

Norm