Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-24-2018, 06:09 PM

Default Did I make a mistake with my purchase?

Hey all,

After I moved out of the house years back it was time for me to buy my own rifle. Living in BC I wanted something that I could hunt most of the big game around up to about 300'ish yards out, as I'm not a long range sniper like most. After doing a lot of research I settled on the Sako Finnlight in 30-06. It shoots great, the caliber has a long history of taking down animals, ammo is everywhere in multiple weights, manageable recoil for a baby like me, and it's a boring caliber which matches my personality. It has helped me be successful in taking Mule Deer, Bear, and a Moose so far.

Here is where my trouble begins. I want another rifle. Why? Because I have issues, obviously. I'm having a hell of a time with deciding what caliber would be a good addition to the ol '06. To open up room for a 6.5 Creed or 7mm-08 my mind went down the path of "okay you should rebarrel to 338-06" but alas I don't reload. Then "hey the 35 Whelen has factory ammo maybe that is where you should take it". But both these leave me with spending money on a new gun PLUS changing my current setup. I'm just not sure what makes sense if keeping the '06 as is?

For those of you that started with your 30-06 and hunt mainly deer size critters and up, (odd coyote but don't care about the hide) what was your next caliber purchase and why.

Looking forward to reading all the thoughts and comments
Old 01-24-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTurbo View Post
Hey all,

After I moved out of the house years back it was time for me to buy my own rifle. Living in BC I wanted something that I could hunt most of the big game around up to about 300'ish yards out, as I'm not a long range sniper like most. After doing a lot of research I settled on the Sako Finnlight in 30-06. It shoots great, the caliber has a long history of taking down animals, ammo is everywhere in multiple weights, manageable recoil for a baby like me, and it's a boring caliber which matches my personality. It has helped me be successful in taking Mule Deer, Bear, and a Moose so far.

Here is where my trouble begins. I want another rifle. Why? Because I have issues, obviously. I'm having a hell of a time with deciding what caliber would be a good addition to the ol '06. To open up room for a 6.5 Creed or 7mm-08 my mind went down the path of "okay you should rebarrel to 338-06" but alas I don't reload. Then "hey the 35 Whelen has factory ammo maybe that is where you should take it". But both these leave me with spending money on a new gun PLUS changing my current setup. I'm just not sure what makes sense if keeping the '06 as is?

For those of you that started with your 30-06 and hunt mainly deer size critters and up, (odd coyote but don't care about the hide) what was your next caliber purchase and why.

There is no mistake in choosing the .30-06 as you have already learned. It pretty much does it all. Being a bit recoil sensitive, moving up in caliber would make little sense. If you can handle a little more recoil and you need a bit more punch you could always move up to the heavier .308 bullets for your -06. What might be more practical would be to move down in caliber to a 6.5, use them both ,and all the bases are covered.. from varmints to ..
Old 01-24-2018, 06:38 PM

I personally went to a 25-06 after starting on a 30-06 they both served me very well. Id say buy a good varmint round like a 22-250,223,204 if your just looking to scratch an itch. Problem with the 30-06 is it os such a versatile big game round inside your given distances nothing is going to be noticeably better.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:44 PM

I would just stick with the 30-06. Most versatile gun out there imo
Old 01-24-2018, 06:50 PM

change it up and grab a winchester model 94 in 30-30, make your deer hunt more challenging next year and have a heck of a lot of fun at the range!

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 01-24-2018, 06:53 PM

Buy a new gun for sure, but don't try and rationalize away the 30-06 as an Alberta Big Game cartridge. It has never been possible and won't ever be If you want big, you best go up to 338s'ville. If you want something smaller, and easier to shoot at the range, go 223 or 243 even if you'd like to haul it around for deer. Truth is, I'd go hunting anything except Bison with a 243 and not worry about it. Nothing lives with holes in its lungs.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:59 PM

In reality that’s the problem with the 30-06, they are so darn universal you really don’t need another rifle ( can’t believe I said that). That being said if it were my money I would be buying a fast twist rifle .22-25 cal.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:03 PM

Your 30-06 sounds like an excellent rifle that is perfect for your hunting needs so don't mess with that, if your looking to scratch an itch like mentioned above go with something smaller, if you don't reload and want a good selection of ammo try a .243 this way you have a good dual purpose rifle either at the range or hunting varmits and deer sized game if you just want to shoot for cheap and might take the odd coyote the .223 is tough to beat.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Buy a new gun for sure, but don't try and rationalize away the 30-06 as an Alberta Big Game cartridge. It has never been possible and won't ever be If you want big, you best go up to 338s'ville. If you want something smaller, and easier to shoot at the range, go 223 or 243 even if you'd like to haul it around for deer. Truth is, I'd go hunting anything except Bison with a 243 and not worry about it. Nothing lives with holes in its lungs.
That's a pretty bold statement. I think I can take you to a few different places, turn you loose with your.243 and we'll see how long it takes before you have a much better understanding of where your comfort zone really is.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:22 PM

Keep the -06, you know it does everything...and then get something fun and different on the lighter end, like the .257 Roberts...or .243 if you like vanilla. Perfect deer and varmint cartridges, but can still take your moose or elk as opportunity presents with the right bullets...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-24-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
That's a pretty bold statement. I think I can take you to a few different places, turn you loose with your.243 and we'll see how long it takes before you have a much better understanding of where your comfort zone really is.
Ok. No grizzly country

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2018, 08:36 PM

Keep the 06 and rest easy. After my first 30-06 I picked up a 25-06 for longer range prairie hunts, then went to black powder to extend the time in the field by having to get closer. You may want to consider a BP to add a little more challenge.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
X2

What ever you buy, id stay away from an overlap. The 25-06 uses the same casing as the 30-06 so graining the 30-06 down to the 120-140 range will give simular results of the 25 ( i said simular), graining up to the 200 range will give you simular results as the 300wm in the 250 yard range. Now, dramatic grain changes like these requires some adjustments on the scope everytime but can be accomplished easily by recording the changes and repeating them. Now is the time to decide how many guns you want, if you want several then I would unload the 30-06 ( let the bashing begin, im ready) replace it with a 300WM for the bigger gun and then a 25-06 for the smaller gun, then when your ready fill the middle with a 7mm RM. niche guns that everyone should have (my opinion only) a lever 30-30 or a 32, a 22-250 (or a triple deuce, 223) and a 45-70. I wouldn’t have a 243 in my safe as the 25-06 goes low enough to cover it but the 243 does not go up to cover the 25. All my opinions and how i have my safe logic organized. I should say that i do agree with your first instinct if you only had one gun and were not getting more the ole 06 works,most everything else for big game is an overlap (most), good luck with your choice and get a bigger safe and dont give your wife the combination as they tend to multiply in there.

Last edited by Xbolt7mm; 01-24-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:38 PM

First off, no you didn't make a mistake with the 30-06, especially a Sako. Now you can make a less practical choice for a second rifle. My main rifle is chambered in 300WM and I take it most of the time. I have a few big game rifles but the only one that I really use besides that is a 6mm Rem. Although I sometimes plan to take the 303 Brit out, haven't hunted with it since 2013. I'd say pick something that you find interesting and not too close to the '06 on ballistics for a second rifle. And don't get a 223, they are way too much fun.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:29 AM

Buying whatever you want is never a mistake ---- unless you're married and your significant tells you it is .
Old 01-25-2018, 05:54 AM

Default Guns get lonely.

My 4 rifle combo is 30-06, 243, 223 and 22lr you will find with the smaller caliber the more you will shoot and enjoy.
Guns are very social they need friends owning just one is irresponsible.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:01 AM

“For those of you that started with your 30-06 and hunt mainly deer size critters and up, (odd coyote but don't care about the hide) what was your next caliber purchase and why.”

Boredom and restlessness is usually the why.

Keep your ‘06.
Make sure you have a nice accurate .22LR
Get a ML to extend your hunting opportunities (Savage 10ml)
You then have bunnies to bears covered in Alberta.

After that start collecting whatever floats your boat
Antiques, long range, etc. etc.....
Old 01-25-2018, 07:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTurbo View Post
Hey all,

As countless dead Nazis will attest, the 30-06 will kill, all these new catriges that don't kick, shoot level, take alot of the skill out of shooting, back in the day there wasn't as many choices, and you actually had to know how to shoot. I think a single shot 303 British would be interesting, another historic cartridge. Your discription was pretty vague, but the possibilities are endless
Old 01-25-2018, 08:17 AM
Banned

6.5 Creedmoor in a Sako Finnlight would make a great partner to your 30-06
Old 01-25-2018, 12:04 PM

Obviously stick with the 06, been killing things for over 100 years and it's hard to improve on a track record like that. With correct shot placement and bullet selection you can take anything on the North American continent. yes it's not as exotic or "fun" as other cartridges but it gets results.

If I was you i'd go smaller with a .223 or a .243. with the edge probably to a .223. Cheap ammo, easy to shoot yet accurate. Find a nice bolt gun in a Sako Tikka or Model 7 and go from there. If I didn't have my Ar15 which I just ordered a suppressor for I'd have looked for a Model 7 with a threaded barrel. I still may do that...lol Good luck and let us know what you get.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:31 PM

Maybe you are asking the wrong question.

You have the 06 as your working gun and you are happy with it but have an urge (we all know what that is like). Maybe instead of looking for a new caliber you should be looking for a new rifle. For example there are bolt actions, falling blocks, single shots, shot guns, black powder, lever action etc etc.

Go for something that may be on the fun side. If you have a range nearby that shoots Cowboy Action then pay them a visit and see what the lever actions are all about. You may like them - for the fun of it. The same goes for Black Powder.

When I started using a Ruger single shot, falling block in 30'06 for hunting(40 years ago) I liked it so much I never went back.

Shooting should be fun. You are getting your meat, so look other places at what else shooting is good for.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 01-25-2018, 12:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
I know a CO that has been dispatching problem and even man killing grizzlies for nearly 20 years using a .243 Win , bolt action rifle, , , ,

His comfort Zone is usually in hand,,, lmao
Old 01-25-2018, 12:41 PM
Banned

It seems you chose the most proven and popular caliber on Earth ( 30-06 ) ,,,
Old 01-25-2018, 01:19 PM

Buy a reloading kit and start with loads for your 06. Then if you still want to rebarrel you can do that with what ever wildcat oddball or ancient cartridges you want. It feels like I had all the 30 cals at one point or another settled on the 300wm and then picked up a 25-06. I’ll end up with a swifty or a 22-250 one of these days to finish off the 3 rifle set.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:37 PM

Default What are your needs?

Well, you bought the first rifle because you wanted to hunt big game. Based on that and on your hunting style, you settled for 30-06. Great choice if you ask me.
Now, I think the question you should answer is: What are my actual shooting/hunting needs.

I have bought a bunch of rifles, shotguns, scopes, spotters.... stuff I did not really needed it. I have sold some to a great loss and the rest is collecting dust in basement.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:43 PM

I was an Forest Officer years ago in some of the densest Grizzly habitat in Alberta and never heard of a man- killing grizzly in the area during that time- just a few encounters. Firearms used by CO's were personal choice but none of the other's I knew would be thinking of a .243 as a choice for the rare requirement of dispatching any bear. My choice was the relatively new at the time .338 WM. Only had to use it twice. Most problem Bears were dealt with on the spot by those involved with them. Times have changed.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariu View Post
Well, you bought the first rifle because you wanted to hunt big game. Based on that and on your hunting style, you settled for 30-06. Great choice if you ask me.
Now, I think the question you should answer is: What are my actual shooting/hunting needs.

I have bought a bunch of rifles, shotguns, scopes, spotters.... stuff I did not really needed it. I have sold some to a great loss and the rest is collecting dust in basement.
More or less my experiences. I started out with a .270win but same thing, then I went up in size because I hunt moose pretty regularly, that didn't really make much difference so I went back to my .270. Then I started playing with bush guns because I mostly hunt bush, eventually drifted back to my .270. Then I played around with black powder for a few seasons... and drifted right back to my old .270.

Finally I got a lighter gun because my .270 is pretty heavy and the weight is getting more noticeable for me these days. So I got a nice light... 30-06, better sell that darn .270 before I start using it again.

If you've got one good rifle that's well suited to the way you hunt, chambered in a good all around cartridge then you are set.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:45 PM

Thanks for all the replys and thoughtful insight guys. I'll be keeping my Finnlight for sure, and likely keeping it 30-06 for the foreseeable future. I do like the idea of learning to reload at some point. I guess there is no need for a new gun since I bought the one best suited to my hunting style.

I'll look more into the .223 and alike as something just cheap and easy to have fun with at the range/cabin. Maybe one of these days I'll actually do something with the coyotes when there is something left of them LOL
Old 01-25-2018, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
It seems you chose the most proven and popular caliber on Earth ( 30-06 ) ,,,
People have killed grizzlies with a 22lr, doesn't mean it's smart, or humane.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
People have killed grizzlies with a 22lr, doesn't mean it's smart, or humane.
People have killed grizzlies with thier car,,, also