Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-15-2018, 02:31 PM

Default Looking For Info: Fred K. Williams SxS

Hey there guys, little back story, I am an apprentice gunsmith, and have been buying derelict firearms to work on to help aide my learning. I had this British SxS fall into my lap here last week.

The screws (original anyway) are engraved so I know enough not to touch it until I get some info on it. My dot com machine searches have come up with a whole pile of nothing so far aside from knowing the gunmaker was located in Birmingham durring the 1881 - 1891 period before changing names, then moving to London. This is a Birmingham shotgun with the proper Birmingham proofs on it.

All I have done on the gun so far is to repair the fore end iron, as the strap had broken off of the knuckle, I believe due to the lock washer the had been placed under the strap to tighten the latch... I figured (will admit fully that I could have been wrong) that if the iron was already broken, that myself fixing it with the proper technique would not decrease the value any further. The other fix was machining new firing pins as one was bent, and the other was a not so well, home made, piece.

Here is some pictures of the gun, the bores are quite nice and there are no dents in the barrels, it locks up tight and doesn't rattle. Its chambered in 12 ga 2.75" which I found was a special order from the maker during that time. The barrels are laminated steel, and 30" long.

If anyone might have some information or possibly know if this shotgun has collector value in this condition, I would love to know before I screw something up! I was told that Catinthehat might know something, by another member on here. But like I say, any information would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Brant!
Old 02-15-2018, 03:08 PM

They all have some collector value to the right buyer, however this is not a big name manufacturer so you won't have any bidding war.
However, it does make for a decent "project gun" for your learning purposes, so I'd suggest going ahead, despite maybe not recovering good wages for your time, .....gotta learn someplace, and good luck, it'll be good training.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:49 PM

Nice gun, Greener cross bolt is not really rare on a hammer double but at the same time not uncommon on some better guns.
Lots of work there for sure by the look of the pins etc.
Anymore proofs on the water table?
The butt stock and hammers look very Continental ( Belgian actually)
Again not unusual at all for a small shop to outsource some parts.
It looks like there is a crown proof on the barrels but there should be more as well
Cat
Old 02-15-2018, 09:18 PM

Hey there Cat, I realized I forgot to post about half my pictures!

Here is the rest of them! I also forgot to mention that the foregrip insert and grip cap, look like they may be horn, or ebony, and there is an extremely well fitted brass counterweight? in the stock, just ahead of the missing butt plate.

This may make it a little easier!

Brant

Last edited by Inglis Speed; 02-15-2018 at 09:22 PM. Reason: forgot some info
Old 02-15-2018, 09:40 PM

The friend inlay and grip cap will be of horn and the brass inlay is for inlaying the owners initials .
Hard for me to see but it looks like the lettering says " laminated"?

Does up tight ?
Cat
Old 02-15-2018, 10:03 PM

Yep Laminated barrel and yep she locks up like a bank vault!

Brant