Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-28-2018, 02:23 PM

Default Wolf trapping

Following a wolf trap thread, fellow member
WOLF something or other (lost his message)
PMed me asking MB750 typical catch location.

I can pm you pictures, also result of effective drag usage.

Hit them hard guys, they're in heat now
Old 01-28-2018, 03:01 PM

Smacked them fairly good this year. They are splitting up a bit lately and taking a tour before joining their packs again. Easy time to pick a few off.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:49 AM

Nube, with your good wolf numbers over last few years, I was surprised you are still able to hit them hard again this winter. They must be migrating in from other areas onto your line. However most wolf packs will cover alot of country.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:42 AM

They are not all from my line!
My line is pretty void of wolves right now but I have done well with what is there. I found a new pack that has taken a beating

I figure things will be quiet for a few years unless something happens. Already seeing the positive effects of it. Tripple the moose and deer sign than past years. I usually see maybe half a dozen deer tracks a year and now they seem to be all over the place.
I found one dead moose wolf kill but I think it was because some natives had shot a moose and the calf was still hanging around it's dead mother and a small pack came in and killed the calf
Old 01-30-2018, 09:28 AM

Nube, seeing good moose numbers on our line, last trap check couple days ago saw total of 7 moose and lots of tracks everywhere. Even seeing cows with twin calves in middle of winter now, so bears not hitting them hard in the spring.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:52 PM

I know some guys that were killing wolves on your side as well over bait. Not sure if it was you line or not but I bet it all helps. I'm amazed at what taking a few packs out of the equation does and makes me wonder what the Govt has been doing all these years. It doesn't take much to fix an area. Took 3 short years where I am but it took time and a few bucks out of my pocket. Enjoyed every min. of it! I have a couple small packs I can hit but it's not worth it to me to continue on the way I have been. The bounty the Govt is paying me isn't worth it I figure after talking to a few people now about it and how much money is available. We will see what they put in my pocket and if it is worth it to continue on to the degree I have been trapping these beasts
Old 02-02-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I know some guys that were killing wolves on your side as well over bait. Not sure if it was you line or not but I bet it all helps. I'm amazed at what taking a few packs out of the equation does and makes me wonder what the Govt has been doing all these years. It doesn't take much to fix an area. Took 3 short years where I am but it took time and a few bucks out of my pocket. Enjoyed every min. of it! I have a couple small packs I can hit but it's not worth it to me to continue on the way I have been. The bounty the Govt is paying me isn't worth it I figure after talking to a few people now about it and how much money is available. We will see what they put in my pocket and if it is worth it to continue on to the degree I have been trapping these beasts
You have to remember too nube that you walked in at the end of 10 years of government poisoning, shooting from choppers and trying to kill every ungulate within a hundred miles of you.
That’s a big reason you had so many sick and mangy wolves you were catching. Half starved to death and in rough shape to begin with.
In areas with a healthy wolf population it would take years and years to knock those numbers down to where you are now.
One guy in Northern BC killed 50 plus a year for several years in a row before he saw any difference in their numbers.

That being said I’m sure the ungulates you had left are very happy you thinned out what was left of the wolves lol
Old 02-03-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
You have to remember too nube that you walked in at the end of 10 years of government poisoning, shooting from choppers and trying to kill every ungulate within a hundred miles of you.
That’s a big reason you had so many sick and mangy wolves you were catching. Half starved to death and in rough shape to begin with.
In areas with a healthy wolf population it would take years and years to knock those numbers down to where you are now.
One guy in Northern BC killed 50 plus a year for several years in a row before he saw any difference in their numbers.

That being said I’m sure the ungulates you had left are very happy you thinned out what was left of the wolves lol
Yup it's a new ballgame I started to play and I got lots to learn. It's been a fun ride but it has put a dent in the time of me catching a lot of other species. I think a little less effort in the wolf Dept is on my radar for next year and might try to get back to where I was at when I first started and hit the marten and cats a bit more and even just catch the coyotes on some bait sites.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:54 AM

Default wolf,s

How many wolf trapper,s have trap wolf,s and placed a collar on them and trapped the wolf the next year.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman1875 View Post
How many wolf trapper,s have trap wolf,s and placed a collar on them and trapped the wolf the next year.
huh?? zero, i hope!
Old 02-04-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Yup it's a new ballgame I started to play and I got lots to learn. It's been a fun ride but it has put a dent in the time of me catching a lot of other species. I think a little less effort in the wolf Dept is on my radar for next year and might try to get back to where I was at when I first started and hit the marten and cats a bit more and even just catch the coyotes on some bait sites.
I wish I had a coyote around to trap lol
Old 02-04-2018, 10:45 AM

Default wolves

Nube is correct, he has knocked the wolves back and deer/moose recover very fast. Tork is also correct, a healthy game population, takes lot of trapping to knock wolves back, Nube has had some help from "Air wolf" out of Hinton. When wolves knocked back with rabies scare in 1950,s our Alberta moose population ski rocketed so fast, F&W issued $20 moose tags to Americans to help us harvest surplus moose.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I wish I had a coyote around to trap lol
I'm blown away that you don't have coyotes Jeff! I catch them in my lynx pens lol
Seriously I have a bunch. Not near as many as farmland here but I could probaby catch 10-15 of a bait pile every winter. Intersting tho they are in pockets and area of my line and other areas they are void.
I find close to town there are a pile and also near any big plants. Maybe it's the willow growth in some areas and the rabbits? And I know you think they are not worth much but they are. They are a smaller coyote than the farmland yot but the fur is real nice and have white bellies. I rarely get any with mange
Old 02-05-2018, 12:52 AM

Quote:
I'm blown away that you don't have coyotes Jeff! I catch them in my lynx pens lol
Seriously I have a bunch. Not near as many as farmland here but I could probaby catch 10-15 of a bait pile every winter. Intersting tho they are in pockets and area of my line and other areas they are void.
I find close to town there are a pile and also near any big plants. Maybe it's the willow growth in some areas and the rabbits? And I know you think they are not worth much but they are. They are a smaller coyote than the farmland yot but the fur is real nice and have white bellies. I rarely get any with mange
I had them on the farmland edge on my saddle hills line, there were lots of them around there.
On the kakwa I saw one in the two winters I was down there. Never saw any tracks, just ran into one on a road one day.
Up north I’ve never seen a track or any running around up there. There seems to be a few foxes around, but no coyotes. One of the guides saw a fisher this year, which was interesting. I had no idea they lived that far north.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:41 PM

Lots of coyote tracks bison hunting in Zama
Old 02-06-2018, 10:41 AM

Old trappers even older than me in BC (McBride) had no coyotes on their lines for years in 1920-1940,s. Then one trapper nailed 50 in one season ( Must have been Nubes grandfather) Anyway totally shocked the other trappers after that they started seeing coyotes on their lines. They claimed coyotes migrated from prairies in Alberta.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk View Post
Following a wolf trap thread, fellow member
WOLF something or other (lost his message)
PMed me asking MB750 typical catch location.

I can pm you pictures..

Ahh Wolfman 1875, you're the one.

I just have to finish a few of your posts
to make sure that you're legit.

Then try to remember how to send pics via PM.