Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-07-2014, 09:34 PM

Default SKS from Cabela's

I'm looking for some advice or opinions on a recent purchase.
I picked up an SKS from Cabela's during their grand opening and was told 30 days to exchange if there's any problems.
I wasn't the most knowledgeable about the nuances of the SKS and it was an impulse buy I bought purely to plink and because their flyer said new not refurbished or something along those lines.
After throwing a hundred rounds through it I noticed the "bluing" on the crown is more like paint and all coming off. From what I read now it appears it may indeed be a refurbished gun. I read of guns that have a barbeque type of black paint on them. The gun seems to shoot ok but I'm disturbed about seeing a shiny steel crown and wondering if the rest of the parts are going to follow. I haven't gone back to Cabela's yet but I'm tempted to.
What would you do?
Old 06-07-2014, 09:51 PM

Slap myself for buying an sks in the first place. It's a cheep crappy gun what did you expect?
Old 06-07-2014, 09:53 PM

Second that! Nothing worse then going to a range scattered with shell casings from these semi autos god its annoying
Old 06-07-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Slap myself for buying an sks in the first place. It's a cheep crappy gun what did you expect?
Very helpful. Why post if you have nothing relevant to say?
Old 06-07-2014, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleyhunter7 View Post
Second that! Nothing worse then going to a range scattered with shell casings from these semi autos god its annoying
You're just as helpful. If I wanted opinions on how you feel a gun range should be cleaned I would have posted as such.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:12 PM

I got an sks. Bought it off a buddy because its cheap as hell and so is the ammo. Its the gun i use and give to friends when were just shooting. You get what you pay for.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:19 PM

Default odd

Of all the guns that come into our shop for repair, I have only had 1 SKS come through the doors, and there are lots of them out there. I bet if you never do a thing about that muzzle, with the exception of a bit of oil, you will never see rust form. I personally rate the Russian SKS as one of the toughest rifles ever. As long as folks using corrosive ammo clean them regularly, no problem. Now AR's, well lets just say we see plenty of $2,000 single shot semi's walk in.
Plus, you cant buy a .22 for the price Cabala's has them on for.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:22 PM

Mmmm I doubt it is not a refurbished one, most of them are... Especially at that price.
They got same "numbers" but they are like frankenstein, made out of several body parts that fit.

Don't worry about the crown, as long as it is smooth it is fine. Just give her a good clean after you shoot corrosive.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Do you go to the range in your bare feet?
Old 06-07-2014, 11:36 PM

SKS will never be the crown jewel of your collection. Take it for what it is, cheap gun for plinking. It will outlast most of modern guns if you provide regular maintenance. Also, when zombies will come only cheaper ammo is the 22 . $250 for 1400 rounds will keep you occupied for long time.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:20 AM

Sounds like it ain't a collector so just fire away!. Like previously stated, just a little oil wipe down when you clean it and you won't have an issue.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:25 AM

If you got it to shoot it I wouldn't worry.

Why do people want to ban the sks at the range for making a mess and not the member that owns it and failed to clean up?
Old 06-08-2014, 08:42 AM

Everyone should have an sks or two, definitely not a pretty unit but boy are they a lot of fun for the money, really hard to break too. OP does yours have a silver bolt? Some of the lower grade refurbs had it painted black to hide blemishes. They still work fine though.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:39 AM

Cold blueing the exposed bare metal? Maybe not 100% pretty but will work
Old 06-08-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
Very helpful. Why post if you have nothing relevant to say?
Apparently you missed the part of its a cheap crappy gun, what did you expect? But that doesn't surprise me seeing as you BOUGHT an SKS to start with.... Anyho as already mentioned take it for what it is, it will never be a show piece. Kinda like that old chisel every carpenter that's all beat up. Its not meant for precision work its meant to be something you can beat around. Does that satisfy you, or are you still gunna go all AO police on me?

BTW post what I think is a stupid question and I'll give you a stupid answer!
Old 06-08-2014, 10:56 AM

What do you expect for a $169 gun? Blast the crap out of it and have fun.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
those damn bolt actions scattering shell casing everywhere .. Oh wait its the shooters fault . not the guns fault maybe if the shooter cleans up no issue . eh

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 06-08-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Apparently you missed the part of its a cheap crappy gun, what did you expect? But that doesn't surprise me seeing as you BOUGHT an SKS to start with.... Anyho as already mentioned take it for what it is, it will never be a show piece. Kinda like that old chisel every carpenter that's all beat up. Its not meant for precision work its meant to be something you can beat around. Does that satisfy you, or are you still gunna go all AO police on me?

Whether an SKS is a cheap crappy gun or not, it's a valid question.

There are no stupid questions,
Old 06-08-2014, 01:35 PM

Cheap as cheaply maid? NOT AT ALL!! Cheap as a purchase price goes? YES. Cheap to feed? YES AGAIN!! Lots of fun to shoot too!
Super reliable. Accuracy? It was not built as a presission rifle. It is very accurate up to 200 yards. It is super accurate at 100 yards. Don't forget, it is an open sight rifle which is most likely older than you.
Buy some cheap ammo and plink away!
Old 06-08-2014, 02:40 PM

I bought mine a couple years ago, couple thousand rounds through it, little discolouring from mine but I'm not to concerned about it. For $200 you can't beat the reliability and fun you can have with it. Just shoot the crap out of it and don't worry bout the colouring, just curious before you used it did you give it a good cleaning and oil. Mine was jamed packed of grease when I took it apart. If yours is jammed pack of grease guarantee it's refurbished.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
If you got it to shoot it I wouldn't worry.

Why do people want to ban the sks at the range for making a mess and not the member that owns it and failed to clean up?
You forget, it's the guns fault.

OP, if the end is bright and shiney could be its a chrome barrel. Like the boys say, clean it good and have fun for years. When a gunsmith tells ya blast away and not to worry do just that.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:05 PM

You didn't buy a Sako. Enjoy it.

Grizz
Old 06-08-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Everyone should have an sks or two, definitely not a pretty unit but boy are they a lot of fun for the money, really hard to break too. OP does yours have a silver bolt? Some of the lower grade refurbs had it painted black to hide blemishes. They still work fine though.
It's got a nice shiny bolt. One of the guns we looked at did have a dull finish and looked odd so we opted to put that one back in the pile. It did shoot well enough although maybe the sights need a little tweaking. I've got to try and adjust the front sight but from all the replies worth reading I think we'll just keep this gun and not bother with an exchange. Thanks for the info!
Old 06-08-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgonc86 View Post
I bought mine a couple years ago, couple thousand rounds through it, little discolouring from mine but I'm not to concerned about it. For $200 you can't beat the reliability and fun you can have with it. Just shoot the crap out of it and don't worry bout the colouring, just curious before you used it did you give it a good cleaning and oil. Mine was jamed packed of grease when I took it apart. If yours is jammed pack of grease guarantee it's refurbished.
That was the odd thing. I did a total disassembly including the bolt and firing pin and although there was some grease it seemed mostly just heavily oiled. From all the reading we did I expected it to be packed with grease but it wasn't. I'm glad I disassembled the bolt though as that was one place there did still seem to be a little grease.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Apparently you missed the part of its a cheap crappy gun, what did you expect? But that doesn't surprise me seeing as you BOUGHT an SKS to start with.... Anyho as already mentioned take it for what it is, it will never be a show piece. Kinda like that old chisel every carpenter that's all beat up. Its not meaision work its meant to be something you can beat around. Does that satisfy you, or are you still gunna go all AO police on me?nt for prec

I don't think I need to post a stupid question to get a stupid answer from you. Apparently you have drank the koolaid and whatever isn't built in America by Americans has no relevance in your life. Drive your Ford (probably assembled in Mexico), shoot your Remingtons(made in China), and drink your beer (perhaps the one thing still made in the US). You just keep holding onto that dream as long as you can.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:19 PM

I know your looking for a serious answer ATF. The problem is most people who begin shooting buy an SKS as its cheap to buy and shoot. Then once people realize they are not the firearm that they desire due to the lack of accuracy and they move on, then they get on the SKS hate train. I confess to be one of them. I think if you look for an SKS forum you will have better luck with answers. Try returning it to Cabellas see what happens.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:38 PM

I have a few hunting rifles and muzzleloaders in my safe and couple ww2 rifles and I love sks cheap to shoot fun to play with . I have fired so many types of combat rifles in my tim in the armed forces. The sks is reliable combat rifle ..

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 06-09-2014, 06:18 AM

Default sks is what it is.

I don't own an sks. The only semi I've got is a 10/22. But I have this love/hate thing with an sks. I love shooting one when I get the chance but I hate getting pegged by the brass when the guy on my left is going to town with his. Pretty hard to focus on what I'm doing when 7.62 milsurp cases are whacking me in the side of the head.

that being said, enjoy the fun and economy of plinking with yours. Just set up on the right hand side of the range. And yeah, it's always good form to pick up after yourself no matter what your shooting. Messy fields or messy ranges make us all look bad.

Colin.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:39 AM

Default Shiny Crown

Most likely if it's a 1951 or younger you're looking at a chrome lined bore.Harold
Old 06-09-2014, 07:41 AM

The sks is fun to shoot if you don't mind 2-3" groups. What I don't like about the corrosive ammo is having to thoroughly clean the rifle to prevent rusting. I would much rather clean a bolt action any day.