Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-21-2015, 07:08 AM

Default any traplines in waiparous valley area? predator hunters cutting your grass

Im posting this because last night the crows and magpies led me to what looked like a lynx that was dead in the ditch on an oil well road. It looked like an older kill than the coyote that was also laying in the bushes about 250 yards from the lynx.
I could be way off base but to me it looks like someone's coyote hunting out there and called in a lynx.
the fact that it was just killed and left is a really sh#tty thing.

besides, only trappers can kill lynx right?
Old 10-21-2015, 07:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
besides, only trappers can kill lynx right?
Yes, however I don't know if you could get an animal control permit for them if one is killing your chickens. I'd report it to F&W if I came across it. Did you take any pictures?

I don't think that there are any lynx that far south but I could be wrong. Maybe it was a bobcat.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:43 AM

Here's two pictures I took. Seems to have the long white cheek fur like a lynx. Maybe a bobcat though. Pretty rough shape at this point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lynx1.jpg (145.5 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg Lynx2.jpg (194.4 KB, 214 views)
Old 10-21-2015, 09:54 AM

besides lynx being a fur bearer...what does this have to do with trapping....

I would suggest taking your "investigation" to the zoo (aka General Forum). Maybe FishingMom can help you get ot the bottom of it.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
besides lynx being a fur bearer...what does this have to do with trapping....

I would suggest taking your "investigation" to the zoo (aka General Forum). Maybe FishingMom can help you get ot the bottom of it.
If I was trying to make a living by trapping, I would like to know if there was someone who was using my potential revenue as target practice.

Are you a trapper in Waiparous area? No I suspect, just a guy with an opinion and a computer...... Have a great day
Old 10-21-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
If I was trying to make a living by trapping, I would like to know if there was someone who was using my potential revenue as target practice.

Are you a trapper in Waiparous area? No I suspect, just a guy with an opinion and a computer...... Have a great day
Do you contact the resident outfitter everytime a deer gets poached in one of his allocations....

Im just curious what you think a trapper is going to do with this information?

Did you phone F&W?....
Old 10-21-2015, 11:45 AM

Lynx are curious and stand on the side of the road all the time up here. Many are killed and left. Frustrating to say the least but nothing can be done most of the time
Old 10-21-2015, 12:12 PM

Lynx are in montana an the area he is in would have lots
Old 10-21-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Do you contact the resident outfitter everytime a deer gets poached in one of his allocations....

Im just curious what you think a trapper is going to do with this information?

Did you phone F&W?....
I did call f&w.

So you think that me posting this was just a dumb idea? OK.

I posted this cause I'm not up on the trapping areas, how they're managed, enforced, even if they trap in PLUZ, etc. And if I was trapping, I'd like to know that this was happening in my area. So I could keep a closer eye on things That's all.

I don't get what you think is so wrong with this post. I've seen many dumber posts on this site for sure.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:51 PM
Banned

Learn/remember something new everyday. Just like the manual shows, lynx right down to the border along the foothills. I don't know why I was thinking lynx north, bobcat south. Pretty soon I'll be able to hide my own Easter Eggs.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:26 PM

How do you know the lynx was shot. Not to doubt the poster or doubt that some trigger happy guy with a 30-06 didn't shoot it. But what did the FandW do? I'm guessing very little. It is a shame a nice lynx would not get harvested and their fur not used. But what are you gonna do with some but hole screwing around out where no one can see if in fact it was shot. Could it have been hit by a truck and a yote feed on it. Or another lynx feed on it. Who know what happened. I would like to know what F&w actually did

Last edited by bill9044; 10-21-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:38 PM
Banned

I want that skull! It would be in my shed now if I had found it. With a found dead wildlife permit from F&W permit of course.

Maybe a battle of the fittest and the coyote and the cat both lost.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
How do you know the lynx was shot. Not to doubt the poster or doubt that some trigger happy guy with a 30-06 didn't shoot it. But what did the FandW do? I'm guessing very little. It is a shame a nice lynx would not get harvested and their fur not used. But what are you gonna do with some but hole screwing around out where no one can see if in fact it was shot. Could it have been hit by a truck and a yote feed on it. Or another lynx feed on it. Who know what happened. I would like to know what F&w actually did
I spoke to the conservation officer responsible for the area. He knew the oil well access road well. I explained how far the carcasses are from the gate and he knew exactly the lay of the land. He said he had to go out there yesterday for another issue and would stop and have a look.

He told me that if a person is coyote hunting on crown land they must remove coyote carcasses as well.

I called the report a poacher line, spoke to an operator, she took my number, the c.o. called me inside of 10 minutes. in fact a second c.o. called about 10 minutes after that because he's the back up for the area.
My first time calling them. Was handled well, would do it again in a heartbeat.

These creatures are our forest resources and are worth enforcing laws for.