Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-01-2020, 12:40 PM

Default Antelope help

Having waited 18 years to pull a trophy antelope tag is there some knowledge in southern ab. where to go. I am not asking for your honey hole , just a short list of a good quality zone .
Old 06-01-2020, 01:03 PM

How to hunt antelope...

You’ll find them from a little north of Medicine Hat and all the way south to the border.
Go 3 days before the season starts and plan to camp somewhere and be willing to camp in an alternate spot if necessary. Bring extra gas... did I mention bing extra gas?

Bring the county maps and ask as many landowners for permission as you can because you don’t know where the little buggers will end up when the season starts. Try to get large blocks of land not a bunch of small chopped up pieces.

The day before opening day locate your trophy and locate an alternate one too.
Watch them until dark. Be there way before sunup the next morning.
Find your buck and go shoot it. Remember you’re Stalking the fastest animal with the best eyesight in North America. So be sneaky.

If some other lucky hunter gets to “your” spot before you do be a gentleman and go look for your alternate buck.

Bring the best optics you can, even if it means borrowing.

Remember the fish cops are well aware of that hunt and they have extremely good optics with cameras attached. Don’t be a dufus and get charged.

Oh and....bring extra gas
Old 06-01-2020, 03:14 PM

Close to the Montana border probably lots of old sites on here about antelope I've always liked going as far south as you can go ,killed one that was close to 80 about a mile from the borde,r do a Scout before you go hunting.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2020, 03:23 PM

Yup go south by the border. Get scouting before applying for the tag. We are at their northern limit of their range so get down there with a good landowner map and get knocking.

When i draw in the next couple years, it will be exactly that: leg work first then apply
Old 06-01-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Yup go south by the border. Get scouting before applying for the tag. We are at their northern limit of their range so get down there with a good landowner map and get knocking.

When i draw in the next couple years, it will be exactly that: leg work first then apply
Anything can happen in the 3 months between applying and hunting.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:25 PM
Banned

Seen lots of good antelope between Brooks and Hanna this year already.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Anything can happen in the 3 months between applying and hunting.
so drawing blind is better? I get what you are saying but it's best to lay eyes on those bigger ranches and get the lay of the land first. Too much priority not to
Old 06-01-2020, 05:47 PM

Antelope don't just live along the border I've seen them much further north. Nicest buck i've ever seen on hoof was not too far north of brooks.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_Hunter View Post
Antelope don't just live along the border I've seen them much further north. Nicest buck i've ever seen on hoof was not too far north of brooks.
That is true I've seen them quite a ways North also ,I just love the Southern Country along the Milk River

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2020, 07:04 PM

Default Antelope

Checking on previous years number of tags for Antelope do we know why some areas have a couple hundred and some with just a few tags ? Is it just the numbers of antelope or smaller numbers for more trophy hunting? We did an elk hunt north of Medicine Hat and there were some in the north areas .
Old 06-01-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdslayer View Post
Checking on previous years number of tags for Antelope do we know why some areas have a couple hundred and some with just a few tags ? Is it just the numbers of antelope or smaller numbers for more trophy hunting? We did an elk hunt north of Medicine Hat and there were some in the north areas .
Herd numbers, herd target numbers, and probably most likely, a biologists whim...lol
Old 06-01-2020, 08:15 PM

Finding a place to legally stay overnight. Example camping or parking can be really tough depending where you go.
Those public grass lands are not very public.
Your best friend is going to be a private land owner.
I would buy some MD maps and spend time down there talking to land owners before hand.
Those roads really turn to crap if it rains down there by the border.
Fish cops were really after road hunters there last fall.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:02 PM

Default Antelope hunt

I went in 2018 and slept in the back of my truck along a range road. Beautiful stars at night. Did a few days of scouting. Be prepared to get the hide off as fast as possible. I could see the lights of the border crossing where I got mine. I’d go earlier and talk to landowners most are real good folks. Good luck
Old 06-01-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davef View Post
I went in 2018 and slept in the back of my truck along a range road. Beautiful stars at night. Did a few days of scouting. Be prepared to get the hide off as fast as possible. I could see the lights of the border crossing where I got mine. I’d go earlier and talk to landowners most are real good folks. Good luck
Sleeping in the back of the truck gets old real fast. Did this for 5 nights last year before I filled the tag.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
so drawing blind is better? I get what you are saying but it's best to lay eyes on those bigger ranches and get the lay of the land first. Too much priority not to
Dude has had 18 years to ponder this hunt and figure things out.
Just get the tag and go do it.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:27 AM

I have been drawn 4 times over the years and every time I killed very nice antelope, last year was #4 and I have to say that I have never hunted within 100km of the US border, lots of good antelope hunting in the northern zones as well.
Do some homework and enjoy your hunt, if you do it will be over fast for something that took 18 years to draw or in my case 14 years I hope I live long enough to draw another tag.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:57 AM
Banned

Keep heading south until you hit Wyoming
Old 06-02-2020, 07:21 AM

I have drawn four tags, and have killed all four bucks on the same grazing lease. I stayed in Jenner twice, and in Brooks twice, pronghorn hunting doesn't have to be that complicated. Just make sure you have access to hunt, and show up a day or two early to scout for bucks. Most importantly, do some research on how to judge pronghorns, some people greatly misjudge them.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Some day I’m gonna hunt down there for pronghorns. Sounds like a fun trip! I wish their hunting season wasn’t at the same time as ours, it’s tough to leave the elk “here” to Go “there.”
Old 06-02-2020, 09:40 AM

For an animal that we only get a chance to hunt once every 10 - 15 years, its difficult to judge trophy antelope potential. So unless you're really concerned about the 'inches', I recommend that you forget about the biggest animal, and concentrate on getting the most enjoyment out of the entire hunt - talking with the ranchers, studying maps, spotting, strategy - the whole works. And then take a nice, mature, representative animal.

The type of hunt you most enjoy should influence what zone you choose. Some people like the wide open, unfenced, semi-desert terrain of the area along the US border, some like semi-open irrigation district type terrain like around Brooks, some like more agricultural settings like around Hanna. Are you fit and adventurous enough to sling a pack over your shoulder and just start walking towards the horizon in the arid deep south? Would you prefer to spot from your truck, then plan your stalk or ambush?

Antelope hunting can suit a solo hunter well. Generally non-dangerous terrain that isn't strenuous. And a relatively small animal that's easy for one person to field dress and/or butcher in the field to take back to the truck.

Many people who like to 'breathe in' this once-in-a-decade+ entire experience take a full week for this hunt, and spend more time taking photos and watching spectacular prairie sunrises/sets, than pursuing antelope. You've waited 18 years -don't rush it all into 2-3 days!

Any mature animal on your wall will be impressive - antelope are unique, unusual animals that look like they belong in Africa! Don't sweat the 'trophy' aspect over a couple of inches, and just enjoy the experience.

I took my 4th antelope last year, and with my age and the draw waits, it'll probably be my last. I envy you!
Old 06-02-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Yup. Throw a stone, hit a goat. Amazing country
Old 06-02-2020, 11:25 AM

Thumbs up

Opening day 2010 in Alberta...Dads a P9 this year and We are hoping he gets drawn...scouting them is just as fun as the hunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36B1D195-B30D-4F5E-A8AB-9436A25AA5A1.jpg (27.5 KB, 155 views)
Old 06-02-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Some day I’m gonna hunt down there for pronghorns. Sounds like a fun trip! I wish their hunting season wasn’t at the same time as ours, it’s tough to leave the elk “here” to Go “there.”
I believe archery antelope in Wyoming is open mid Aug thru end Sep. It was when I went down some years ago. Crossbows are good-to-go in Wyoming archery season.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:33 PM

with that kind of priority, I would stay away from the units with the high hunter numbers and focus on the Tide Lake WMU 144.... I believe. Lower number of rifle tags in a sweet zone. good luck to you
Old 06-02-2020, 03:39 PM

If you go to Tide Lake, probably best if you don't plan to sleep in your hammock tent...
Old 06-02-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
If you go to Tide Lake, probably best if you don't plan to sleep in your hammock tent...
OK, I'll bite ..... why not ?
Old 06-03-2020, 10:35 AM

Something about the need for trees to swing a hammock
Old 06-03-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
How to hunt antelope...

You’ll find them from a little north of Medicine Hat and all the way south to the border.
Go 3 days before the season starts and plan to camp somewhere and be willing to camp in an alternate spot if necessary. Bring extra gas... did I mention bing extra gas?

Bring the county maps and ask as many landowners for permission as you can because you don’t know where the little buggers will end up when the season starts. Try to get large blocks of land not a bunch of small chopped up pieces.

The day before opening day locate your trophy and locate an alternate one too.
Watch them until dark. Be there way before sunup the next morning.
Find your buck and go shoot it. Remember you’re Stalking the fastest animal with the best eyesight in North America. So be sneaky.

If some other lucky hunter gets to “your” spot before you do be a gentleman and go look for your alternate buck.

Bring the best optics you can, even if it means borrowing.

Remember the fish cops are well aware of that hunt and they have extremely good optics with cameras attached. Don’t be a dufus and get charged.

Oh and....bring extra gas

Got it. No need for gas lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Dude has had 18 years to ponder this hunt and figure things out.
Just get the tag and go do it.
well considering his 1st post outlined the fact he did no homework, I think my advice is pretty sound
Old 06-03-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
well considering his 1st post outlined the fact he did no homework, I think my advice is pretty sound
Respectfully I think it was exactly the wrong approach to suggest.
It’s a 9 hour drive for him to get into Good antelope country.
Drive 9 hours ...scout 2 days...Drive home anD apply for the tags only to learn that the antelope you saw were in their spring territories and everything has changed by fall.