Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-17-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkrub View Post
Question; does my hunter host have to have the same priority as me? I’m a BC resident and would like to apply for a moose draw. I’d like to have my father host me, he hasn’t bought a tag for quite a few years.
Is this possible?
If you apply as part of a group the priority of the entire group is based on the person with the lowest priority, ie: if you are a 13 and your father is a 2 and you apply together then the group application is based on priority 2.
As a non resident you cannot apply for a draw on your own you must apply with a resident on a one / one basis.
As long as the hunter host ( your father ) meets all the criteria then no problem, his priority doesn't come into play unless he is also applying.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-17-2020, 06:42 AM

And as a non resident you can only draw a moose tag in certain wmu zones. When I was living out of province I was unable to hunt moose on my family's property because of this. It's not a huge deal, but it is something to check out in the regs if you are planning a moose hunt

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2020, 06:45 PM

Default Thanks Guys

Quote from the regs...
A Non-resident (Canadian) must apply with a resident (maximum of 1 non-resident per resident)

How do I apply with a Resident?

Do I list him as a Hunter host and not add him to the Draw?
He just wants Me to get my moose with his help.
thanks
Old 05-17-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkrub View Post
Quote from the regs...
A Non-resident (Canadian) must apply with a resident (maximum of 1 non-resident per resident)

How do I apply with a Resident?

Do I list him as a Hunter host and not add him to the Draw?
He just wants Me to get my moose with his help.
thanks
You can’t apply for a draw by yourself as a nonresident, so if you apply with a resident the lowest priority between the two of you is what you BOTH go into the draw with. So if you are 13 and he is 15, your group is a P13... if you are 13 and he is 7, your group is a P7.

He has to host you AND you both have to put into the draw together, unless you can enter the draw with someone else.... then he can still host you. Regardless you must enter the draw with a resident.

LC
Old 05-19-2020, 09:07 AM

Default Wildlife Cert

This needing to buy your buy your Wildlife Certificate first is total BS. I put all the draws in for my family and now its going to be a huge pain in the ass to chase everyone down to make sure they have their certificate before I put the draws in. Its totally unfair to the people who want to build there priority up but can not hunt that year due to Work or health issues. My cousin works in Saudi and I don't even know if he can get a frickin wildlife certificate in time.
What really caused this change anyways? What harm is there of not having a Wildlife Certicicate in June anyways? Our draw system works just fine so why are people so hell bent on changing it?
Old 05-19-2020, 09:18 AM

Its everything,not just draws. Change for the sake of change! They won't leave anything alone.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
This needing to buy your buy your Wildlife Certificate first is total BS. I put all the draws in for my family and now its going to be a huge pain in the ass to chase everyone down to make sure they have their certificate before I put the draws in. Its totally unfair to the people who want to build there priority up but can not hunt that year due to Work or health issues. My cousin works in Saudi and I don't even know if he can get a frickin wildlife certificate in time.

What really caused this change anyways? What harm is there of not having a Wildlife Certicicate in June anyways? Our draw system works just fine so why are people so hell bent on changing it?
Your cousin can buy it online on his relm account

Old 05-19-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
to stop the anti hunters from putting in draws and increasing our wait times
Old 05-19-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
Your cousin can buy it online on his relm account

And so can everyone else in the family. If they want to hunt
Old 05-19-2020, 02:36 PM

Default What he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I just don't know if the cost of wildlife certificate will be enough
to stop them
Old 05-19-2020, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Actually our draw system needs to be changed
When our draws cost $3 to apply for and you can have 4 applicants per entry
You can add a lot of people to the pool who wouldn’t normally be there
If the $20 bucks is a deal breaker your probably not that interested in getting drawn
Old 05-19-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Back before WIN cards you needed your Wildlife Certificate to enter draws.
You also had to put a money order in with your application envelope too.

Now with everything being online, and online payment, guys still whine like mules......

There are no absolutes
Old 05-19-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Now with everything being online, and online payment, guys still whine like mules......
No kidding... how soon we forget where we are now and the places from which we came.

LC
Old 05-19-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
I personally would like to see the priority only or as us old guys know it as '999' have at the very least a $25 surcharge added to it. i feel this would make folks apply for the draws instead of just building needless priority points. i would also like to see draws that are upwards of 5 yrs or more applying have a portion of the tags made available as random draws. for example, 10 tags available for a draw period and have 2 of those tags made available at random for all that applied. that may make folks apply for the draws, instead of just hanging around and for less than a dollar, build priority to just clog up the system. maybe these tags needs to be purchased at time of drawing as well. just ideas, not trying to start a riot.
i would also like to all users of public lands need to have at the very minimum a WIN card and i personally think that they need to buy a wildlife certificate. that would be all random camping folks, OHV users, and recreational hikers.. more could be added to that list as well.
999 is critical to allowing lesser priority holders get tags quicker. It does the opposite of clogging things up.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:44 PM

I really don’t get the big deal about having to buy a wildlife certificate before for applying for draws

Alberta’s draw application are really cheap even with buying a wildlife certificate
Old 05-19-2020, 06:48 PM

I have used this analogy a bunch of times before but I’ll do it again... in regards to 999.

Picture you and your wife in the line up the super market... long line you are 5 back from the till, your wife forgets avocados and she has to go find them, you are not ready yet. You don’t want to completely abandon the line, but you let the guy behind you go before you... because you are a nice guy (and dang it the wife put you in a not ready status). This is what 999 does... you put yourself on standby till you are ready, and everyone else behind you now has a chance at your spot in line.

.... this is a bad thing, why?

Take it away and this happens, people will be forced to draw the tag... but maybe they can’t go on the hunt... so they take a tag away from someone who could have used it... so the tag still gets pulled BEFORE you are eligible, 999 allows you a chance at eligibility to pull a tag you would not have been eligible to pull beforehand.

Really who cares if I want to stand for hours in the super market letting people pass me in the line? I still want to checkout at some point but I’ll do it when my wife gets back and says we can go

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 05-19-2020 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I really don’t get the big deal about having to buy a wildlife certificate before for applying for draws

Alberta’s draw application are really cheap even with buying a wildlife certificate
Agree.... I already have my WL Cert, bow hunting permit, and bear tag before draws even come out.... I hunt every year so I’m buying the certificate anyways regardless.

LC
Old 05-19-2020, 07:03 PM

Just add a $20 sir charge for all 999 applicants
Bluedog
Old 05-19-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:

Amen, anyone that doesn't want to buy a wildlife certificate to enter the draws then by all means don't buy one, and don't enter the draws, really no skin off my nose, the less people in the draws the less priority I need to get drawn, it's all good.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:52 PM

If I understand this right. Since I put all the draws in for our group I have all their information I can just buy their wildlife certificate for them before I apply for their draws. Simple.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
If I understand this right. Since I put all the draws in for our group I have all their information I can just buy their wildlife certificate for them before I apply for their draws. Simple.
Yes, but you would need to know their login info on the AlbertaRELM website or make sure they buy the WL cert before you enter them in the draws. Sounds like you likely have all the info you need for each individual.

LC
Old 05-19-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
This won't stop the anti hunter at all!
Old 05-19-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
This won't stop the anti hunter at all!
Not just anti hunters... but possibly nonresident cheaters and other unscrupulous sorts... we need more action taken against those who skirt the rules, this is just a start.

LC
Old 05-19-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Not just anti hunters... but possibly nonresident cheaters and other unscrupulous sorts... we need more action taken against those who skirt the rules, this is just a start.

LC
I certainly hope you’re right. It’s just a baby step, but it’s progress.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:23 AM

I think it is a step in the right direction. People might be upset that they have to pay for priority, but so do non residents and anti hunters now. If the funds actually go back into conservation, I don't believe it is a bad thing.

Now we need residency verification. In Saskatchewan the draw system is connected to the health services system. If you do not have a Saskatchewan health care number the system will not let you enter draws or purchase tags as a resident. It would be nice if we did something similar.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:13 AM

I think this is the year I burn all of my Grizzly Bear points up. Due to draw for sure, and have the time. Sure thankful I'm not one of the 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000001 % of Albertans that got sick.

Spruce
Old 05-20-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I have used this analogy a bunch of times before but I’ll do it again... in regards to 999.

Picture you and your wife in the line up the super market... long line you are 5 back from the till, your wife forgets avocados and she has to go find them, you are not ready yet. You don’t want to completely abandon the line, but you let the guy behind you go before you... because you are a nice guy (and dang it the wife put you in a not ready status). This is what 999 does... you put yourself on standby till you are ready, and everyone else behind you now has a chance at your spot in line.

Take it away and this happens, people will be forced to draw the tag... but maybe they can’t go on the hunt... so they take a tag away from someone who could have used it... so the tag still gets pulled BEFORE you are eligible, 999 allows you a chance at eligibility to pull a tag you would not have been eligible to pull beforehand.

Really who cares if I want to stand for hours in the super market letting people pass me in the line? I still want to checkout at some point but I’ll do it when my wife gets back and says we can go

LC
Good analogy LC. I have never really understood how some people think that the 999/build priority option increases wait times in draws. I am sitting at an 11 priority in Mule Deer... probably could have been drawn 2-3 times in a lot of areas in Alberta in the last 11 years, but here I am "increasing" wait times by letting a couple other hunters go ahead of me in the draw...

DR
Old 05-20-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Yes and I remember having to line up for hours at the F&W office to buy the cards that you had to fill out to apply
Old 05-20-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
Just add a $20 sir charge for all 999 applicants
Bluedog
Why? What harm are they doing letting others get drawn while they wait to get in to a zone of their choosing at a time that works for their schedule?
Old 05-20-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:

LC
The difference is when your wife has the avocado you now jump to the front of the line ahead of everyone else at that time,,,,

Your analogy is more like the hubby immediately going to the counter to get a spot in line and staying there until wifey is done shopping when she can jump right in. Very convenient for the two of you but hardly fair to the shoppers who did all their shopping first before getting in que.

So what happens to wait times when all those high priorities decide to cash them in?