Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
All I did was give cat some perspective that it took 4 pages of first nations bashing to have someone speak up. And look where that got him? Banned.

There is hardly four full pages of “ First Nations bashing “ as you put it .
However I am surprised that the only result was that person’s banning except that he may be a returned bannee.
We do not know what goes on behind the scenes .
Another point that people are missing here about Wainright and Suffield for that matter is that many people think of it as an opportunity to kill a big animal whereas the Base thinks of it as a control hunt .
They don’t care what comes out of that base as long as animals are killed .
Cat
Old 12-10-2019, 07:39 AM

This one sure went in the gutter

As long as we continue with this system of race based rights/laws there is going to be a big divide and on going arguments. All hunters from every background have traditions and all FN have access to the same opportunities as everyone else in this country. Yet in this country people are not equal and one group’s culture and traditions are held to a higher standard then all others.

There will be no moving forward with respect amongst all hunters under this system and it’s not because we have different blood.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:34 AM

It is obvious there is a lot of frustration regarding FN and Métis hunting rights. Let’s maybe direct that frustration to our new Environment Minister, Jason Nixon.

Rimbey.RockyMountainhouse.Sundre@assembly.ab.ca

That will have more of an impact than fighting on here.

I’ve sent my email already!
Old 12-10-2019, 08:48 AM

Does anyone have information on the numbers taken on the base during the last few hunts? How has the hunting been?
Old 12-10-2019, 09:35 AM

[QUOTE=Sam1414;4071172]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So you would be okay with receiving only the benefits specifically mentioned in the treaty? I have read a few treaties, there is no mention of medical or dental treatment, or university education, or homes with running water, electricity and central heat in them, so if we honor the treaties exactly as written, why should the taxpayers pay for those things for individuals effected by the treaties? And if you read the treaties, several even have a clause that stipulates that the government reserves the right to regulate hunting and fishing as they seem necessary.

https://www.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/eng/11.../1100100028803

So you see, I have taken the time to actually read the texts of a few treaties.

I bought and payed for my home and land and do pay taxes. Your privilege to hunt will be long gone before the First Nations right to hunt then waiting 5 years for a draw will be short. So sick of this crap if you don’t like it then move it’s not going to change. I’m glad you have read the treaties top to bottom and I’m happy you understand them. But reamber we hunt by right not privilege like you sir.
Sooo you’re saying that in Canada, someone has more rights than someone else and that some people are more privileged than others!?!? OH BOY. Here I thought this was the land of equal opportunity, and equal rights! Shocker. It would only seem appropriate that someone with their so called higher rights would throw it around the internet and rub it in the faces of those of lesser rights.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
This one sure went in the gutter

As long as we continue with this system of race based rights/laws there is going to be a big divide and on going arguments. All hunters from every background have traditions and all FN have access to the same opportunities as everyone else in this country. Yet in this country people are not equal and one group’s culture and traditions are held to a higher standard then all others.

There will be no moving forward with respect amongst all hunters under this system and it’s not because we have different blood.
Exactly right. The system is working almost flawlessly, the system of keeping us all divided in one way or another.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:38 AM

[QUOTE=DeadEyeGardner;4071549]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1414 View Post

Sooo you’re saying that in Canada, someone has more rights than someone else and that some people are more privileged than others!?!? OH BOY. Here I thought this was the land of equal opportunity, and equal rights! Shocker. It would only seem appropriate that someone with their so called higher rights would throw it around the internet and rub it in the faces of those of lesser rights.
I’m sure he is just from the east and doesn’t know any better lol 🤭
Old 12-10-2019, 09:44 AM

I wanna just ask my fn friends a question and then I’m going to zip it. What would be the big deal if fn had to apply in the draw and purchase a whitetail tag and wait years to get get a moose etc. My girlfriend has some degree of Métis ansestory. She applies in the draw and buys her tags just like most everybody else. So why can’t fn? Maybe we could work towards having equal rights and ending the animosity.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:46 AM

I await your answer because I’m already loaded up
Old 12-10-2019, 10:04 AM

Any one hunting the base today hows the number looking can some one please update us!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
*crikckets* now

And I will anti up and do the same
me as well
Old 12-10-2019, 10:12 AM

[QUOTE=DeadEyeGardner;4071549]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1414 View Post

Our charter of rights does not give all Canadians equal rights, so it actually promotes racism.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:41 AM

[QUOTE=elkhunter11;4071580]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post

Our charter of rights does not give all Canadians equal rights, so it actually promotes racism.
that’s exactly what he is saying!! And it’s a fact. And it doesn’t stop with hunting
Old 12-10-2019, 10:48 AM

Discuss away, but just keep it between the lines with no personal insults, that's all we care about.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:10 AM

Just a question in regards to the CWD head submission. So we need to store the deer until the results come back, correct?
Old 12-10-2019, 11:45 AM

I came here to look at dead animals.....
Old 12-10-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam View Post
Just a question in regards to the CWD head submission. So we need to store the deer until the results come back, correct?
The decision is up to you. You can go ahead and process he deer or you could freeze the whole deer and wait for results. You could even just eat the deer before getting results back although it’s not recommended.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
The decision is up to you. You can go ahead and process he deer or you could freeze the whole deer and wait for results. You could even just eat the deer before getting results back although it’s not recommended.
Thanks for clarifying.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSlam View Post
When I killed my last moose on the base, I received the results in March. I didn't pay to make any sausage or jerky until I received the results.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonC View Post
DM me if you're looking for elk. I can let you know where I found them today.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Anything big in that bachelor group??
Big as in 300” plus??

Last edited by finner-duramax; 12-10-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When I killed my last moose on the base, I received the results in March. I didn't pay to make any sausage or jerky until I received the results.
Good to know, thanks.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Forfeiture of all skull plates. Cutting in half like alaska does nothing aside from not being eligible for B&C. Register animal for harvest counts and forfeit skulls from all untagged kills. Easy peasy. After all, it is all about the meat so shouldn't be any arguments?
Want to keep the trophy, buy the tag
This is EXACTLY what I think should be done. It’s simple and completely effective.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
This is EXACTLY what I think should be done. It’s simple and completely effective.
Nailed it. Exactly correct. And FAIR even!
Old 12-10-2019, 03:10 PM

I hunted wainwright last year and it was awesome checking the thread to see harvested animals! This thread went way off the rails, but I do think there was a lot of great things discussed.

But let’s see some of the success and share some stories!
Old 12-10-2019, 03:43 PM

Default Primitive weapon hunt

I had the Antlered moose tag for the first 3 days (primitive weapon). The first day did a bit of driving around and saw nothing. Did a nice walk in an area I didn't think people would bother walking in and I saw 3 bull's. Too much bush in the way so no shot opportunity. Day 2 we did a lot more walking in the Annex and saw another 3 bulls but a couple of other hunters had the same idea as we did and spooked them before we could get into range. Day 3 we decided to go back into the same area as day 2 and walked about a km in and found a young bull with a cow. 175 yard broadside shot and he only ran 40 yards and piled up. My son was with me as a helper and we had it completely quartered and deboned and packed back to the truck within 1/1/2 hours of shooting it. What a tremendous opportunity we have to be able to hunt on this base. I couldn't be happier with my bull, the F&W staff, the biologists, the military and all the other hunters we ran into that shared info of spotted animals.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:29 PM

We were there for rifle 2 season. Covered lots of miles, walked every day. We saw 1 bull Moose, about 45" but was missing 1 antler. From the burr on his head, it appeared that he had shed one side already. I know its early and I could be wrong, but it sure appeared to be the case. I was shocked we didn't see more Moose, but where we were hunting wasn't the best location on the base for Moose either.

Craig

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bowhunter View Post
I had the Antlered moose tag for the first 3 days (primitive weapon). The first day did a bit of driving around and saw nothing. Did a nice walk in an area I didn't think people would bother walking in and I saw 3 bull's. Too much bush in the way so no shot opportunity. Day 2 we did a lot more walking in the Annex and saw another 3 bulls but a couple of other hunters had the same idea as we did and spooked them before we could get into range. Day 3 we decided to go back into the same area as day 2 and walked about a km in and found a young bull with a cow. 175 yard broadside shot and he only ran 40 yards and piled up. My son was with me as a helper and we had it completely quartered and deboned and packed back to the truck within 1/1/2 hours of shooting it. What a tremendous opportunity we have to be able to hunt on this base. I couldn't be happier with my bull, the F&W staff, the biologists, the military and all the other hunters we ran into that shared info of spotted animals.
Great post. Congrats!
Old 12-10-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Great post. Congrats!
Awesome! Y’all Must have been been givin er to have a moose totally cleaned up in 1.5 hours! My first moose this year took 3 of us about 4 hours lol. But we also had over a km of frozen sloughs, fallen timber, elevation changes - All done on foot with two jet sleds and a frame pack.

Congrats on your success! Thanks for sharing
Old 12-10-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHAM View Post
Any one hunting the base today hows the number looking can some one please update us!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only 8 animals killed on the first day of Rifle 3, three of which were moose the other a mix of mule and white. Not sure today but lots more hunters in the evening at check in registering their animals, including 3 bull moose, 2 elk and several deer.

I was lucky enough to shoot a WT deer yesterday and MD doe today. I haven't seen much moving around except the first and last hour of light the animals seem to keep tight to the bush for the rest of the day. Most of the animals I have seen while on foot, with the cold temps its seems most people are happy to drive around and hope they see something. Beautify country to explore, I can see why there were so many quality animals taken over the years. Never saw any trophies, and no I do not post photos.

Best of luck to everyone out there still hunting.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:11 PM

Day 2 not entered yet

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Closed Thread