Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas N View Post
That is likely the most inaccurate comment I’ve seen on this forum. You should have stuck to your guns when you said “I have no idea what goes on out there, I’ve never even visited that part of Alberta, that’s why I just sat back and read this thread.”

Nothing canned about the CFB Wainwright hunt- Deer, moose, or elk. If you have experienced it, you would understand.

I was there this year for the PW hunt and have hunted it 4-5 times previously. There is nothing canned about about that hunt, and if people are so inclined, it’s not hard to hunt without being “bothered” by others. Or, you can use the others in the area to your advantage and put yourself in a good position to have animals come to you (pushed or not). I spent most of the hunt in a ground blind. I didn’t see another hunter while in the blind.

I saw 5 solid shooter MD bucks this hunt with very few moose or elk compared to last years, BUT I wasn’t hunting hunting them. I should have had two great bucks this hunt, but luck wasn’t on my side. I have no one to blame but myself.

That hunt is a great bonus hunt in cool country, at the end of a long season. It is extraordinarily well run and we are lucky to have access to it. I will say that in the briefings, there appeared to be more people than I’ve seen in any previous hunts. That said, after the shotgun start and cannonball run, the vehicles and people dissipate fast and there is lots of country to hunt on your own.

Lol, I sure ruffled feathers with my canned hunt comment, I guess I chose the wrong term there! I was thinking of more like a private ranch hunt and should have used that, I really didn’t think so many people would pay so much attention to my opinion.

Regardless of the term I use, it’s still not going to be on my list of things to do.

Last edited by Morbius131; 12-15-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:06 AM

For us number geeks - anyone have a breakdown of the 3rd and 4th hunts? And maybe a picture of the map showing harvest locations? Hoping to draw next year and, although it may not really help any, would like to see that info to help 'scout' a little! Thanks.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
2019 Totals

Deer: 283
Elk: 15
Moose: 92

Best buck taken was the one I managed on a once in a lifetime staff landowner tag. Official score after the panel scores him as several points are tricky to score. Picture doesn’t do him justice!!

We need more Wet Wipes!

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-16-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post
For us number geeks - anyone have a breakdown of the 3rd and 4th hunts? And maybe a picture of the map showing harvest locations? Hoping to draw next year and, although it may not really help any, would like to see that info to help 'scout' a little! Thanks.
Rifle 3 - 37 deer, 24 moose
Rifle 4 - 48 deer, 17 moose

Not sure about elk

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2019, 12:50 PM
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfeet View Post

they also have the maps for previous years at the base for whenever your season is.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Lol, I sure ruffled feathers with my canned hunt comment, I guess I chose the wrong term there! I was thinking of more like a private ranch hunt and should have used that, I really didn’t think so many people would pay so much attention to my opinion.

Regardless of the term I use, it’s still not going to be on my list of things to do.
Trust me Kurt. This site has got so soft over the past 5 years. Used to be a place where you could express your opinion and have a conversation about it with fellow outdoorsman. Now there are to many close minded people and soft feelings/thin skinned people that only value there own opinions.
Old 12-16-2019, 06:55 PM

Default That's a wrap!

Well, I've been following this one from the get go. Allegations of racism. Now, good guys who I know would be good friends if they ever met, are lambasting each other over a mispoken word. I think we have accomplished about all we are gonna accomplish. Users banned and infractions given out like Halloween candy. Oy vey.

Time to go ice fishing fellas

Footnote: Whether or not you would enjoy hunting at CFB Wainwright, it is a unique and wonderful and resource we have in Alberta. Enjoy, and support it to the fullest for what it is, not what you think it is not.
Closed Thread