Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-19-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
all MNA members have already proven their genealogy pre 1900. all they need now is current address in the area in which their settlement is located.
Yes Scouter they have proven their genealogy to the Metis pre scrip era but now must prove Genealogy to Alberta pre 1900 in one of the 4 designated area's.

Applicants must show a pre-1900 connection to the Métis Harvesting Genealogical history, including where ancestors lived and when they lived there. Applicants must show a pre-1900 connection to the Métis Harvesting Area where they are applying.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:23 AM

I for one think that it's bull crap and I could benefit from it if I wanted to take advantage of it however that being said I'm glad it is signed and it's interim. Maybe it will get enough people cranked enough to get off their collective arse's to actually vote the NDP out.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:07 AM

I do believe it's time to identify as bi-cultural trans-racial.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
With the scandal coming out of the Kenney camp I'd hold off on talks of a gov change. Pizzes me right off. Are they all corrupt?
In a word, YES!

Kinda makes ya warm all over, doesn't it?
Old 03-19-2019, 12:05 PM
Banned

Guess I better pull my moose tag before there are none left.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:27 PM
Banned

With the population growth rate can you imagine how many unregulated hunters there will be in 20 years? Like talk about a total lack of foresight on our governments behalf. In 20 years even treaty status will mean nothing. You can’t kill what is no longer there, LOL!!!

Might as well poach now while you still have the opportunity.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTailAB View Post
Guess I better pull my moose tag before there are none left.
Maybe wait a few years more the moose will be bigger than
Old 03-19-2019, 01:44 PM

[QUOTE=Kurt505;3949167]With the population growth rate can you imagine how many unregulated hunters there will be in 20 years? Like talk about a total lack of foresight on our governments behalf. In 20 years even treaty status will mean nothing. You can’t kill what is no longer there, LOL!!!

I'm worried it will be far less than 20 years before the non FN/Metis loose the ability to hunt anything other than a whitetail. Moose and Elk draws will become twice in a lifetime kinda thing. Wonder how much $$$ the FN/Metis groups will contribute to conservation?

Sad day and Audrey P wins again.
Old 03-19-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
With the population growth rate can you imagine how many unregulated hunters there will be in 20 years? Like talk about a total lack of foresight on our governments behalf. In 20 years even treaty status will mean nothing. You can’t kill what is no longer there, LOL!!!

Might as well poach now while you still have the opportunity.
come on do you really think it will be that bad
Old 03-19-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicknormal View Post
This agreement is not worth a hill of beans to the largest % of the Alberta Metis population. It is more pomp and circumstance geared at vote's for the NDP.
By the time the majority of Metis realize they have been left out of this agreement it will be to late and they will have voted. Links to these 4 area's have to be proven to have existed prior to 1900 and then that only allows harvesting in that area.
While for the NDP this is politics and blatant vote buying....

For the Metis it is so much more.

This is about control of Natural Resources.
Start small and grow control from there.
Fish and fur, then trees, minerals....

First Nations are also charging forward for control of these resources, following the same path.

Within a few more court decisions and the higher competition for a limited resource, Indigenous Peoples will be given FULL control of Wildlife.
White Hunter privilege will be defined as having the privilege of asking First Nations or perhaps the Metis to be allowed to hunt....

Back to politics.... I wonder how many First Nations will now NOT vote NDP because the NDP just gave away a good chunk of control over "their" animals. I know many are not happy.

Expanding Metis harvesting "rights" throws a curveball at First Nations plans to take full control of Wildlife.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-19-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
While for the NDP this is politics and blatant vote buying....

For the Metis it is so much more.

This is about control of Natural Resources.
Start small and grow control from there.
Fish and fur, then trees, minerals....

First Nations are also charging forward for control of these resources, following the same path.

Within a few more court decisions and the higher competition for a limited resource, Indigenous Peoples will be given FULL control of Wildlife.
White Hunter privilege will be defined as having the privilege of asking First Nations or perhaps the Metis to be allowed to hunt....

Back to politics.... I wonder how many First Nations will now NOT vote NDP because the NDP just gave away a good chunk of control over "their" animals. I know many are not happy.

Expanding Metis harvesting "rights" throws a curveball at First Nations plans to take full control of Wildlife.

WB, while I always appreciate your insight and intell on the direction FN want this to go, you just sent a shudder to my core. That's scary stuff. Full control to our soon to be new masters. Sadly, I can see governments bending over backwards to appease them in this way without looking to the long term effects it will have.
Old 03-19-2019, 03:05 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
... Sadly, I can see governments bending over backwards to appease them in this way without looking to the long term effects it will have.
Welcome to UNDRIP and "Reconciliation".

Nog
Old 03-19-2019, 03:26 PM

Default Grrrrr

What exactly is a Metis? At what point do you go from being First Nations to Metis?
I can trace my family genealogy to Alberta pre 1900. What rights do I get?
Old 03-19-2019, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgetter View Post
What exactly is a Metis? At what point do you go from being First Nations to Metis?
I can trace my family genealogy to Alberta pre 1900. What rights do I get?
if you dont know the answer to this then your exactly what I said the metis nation of Alberta needs to weed out...

I hope the idiots and those gaming the system arent getting approved.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post

I hope those gaming the system arent getting approved.
They just did.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-19-2019, 04:35 PM
Banned

This still makes no sense to me.. The Metis are not first nation, they are not second nation, but they are 3rd nation. It took a First and a second in order to make a third.

More social engineering/Vote buying by a soon to be fired Gov. A strong voice wouldn't have let this happen.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:47 PM

I don't see any changes from what they had previously. They were allowed to hunt on or near their settlement before. Where does it say they have free reign? I think it's just a bunch of stupid rewording from a stupid government.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:34 PM

The wild life will never be able to be managed with two sets of laws it’s to bad but it will never change. For now all of us license buying people will have to make sure are wall eyes are long enough and are elk have 3 or 6 points depending we’re you hunt. Cause if you break these rules you will get a fine yet the truck behind you that person has one molecule of native blood in them can hunt and fish what ever they want. Welcome to wild life conservation in Canada.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:40 PM
Banned

http://albertametis.com/wp-content/u...and-WMUs-2.png
Old 03-19-2019, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
I don't see any changes from what they had previously. They were allowed to hunt on or near their settlement before. Where does it say they have free reign? I think it's just a bunch of stupid rewording from a stupid government.
It's not free reign for the individual. They have to stick to one of 5 areas I posted above. I believe they used to have hunt within 25KM of the settlement. Now they have massive and massive amounts of the provinces to do as they wish.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
This still makes no sense to me.. The Metis are not first nation, they are not second nation, but they are 3rd nation. It took a First and a second in order to make a third.

More social engineering/Vote buying by a soon to be fired Gov. A strong voice wouldn't have let this happen.
I know you know this already but metis are considered indian(first nation) thanks to the court battles that happened. Not sure why you like playing the dumb card when it comes to this topic.

Guess we can chalk that up to ignorance.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
It's not free reign for the individual. They have to stick to one of 5 areas I posted above. I believe they used to have hunt within 25KM of the settlement. Now they have massive and massive amounts of the provinces to do as they wish.
It was 160 km radius of your recognized Métis community, this is basically the same deal as before with a little bigger of an area for each community, you still have to meet the powley requirement to qualify to harvest there are approx 1100 Métis harvesters in Ab that are able to harvest, I don’t think those numbers are going up anytime soon
Old 03-19-2019, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
come on do you really think it will be that bad
I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not, but to answer your question, yes.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I’m not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not, but to answer your question, yes.
Well you did advocate for people to start poaching while they could.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
I know you know this already but metis are considered indian(first nation) thanks to the court battles that happened. Not sure why you like playing the dumb card when it comes to this topic.

Guess we can chalk that up to ignorance.
Oh, I know what the court case was all about. Doesn't mean I agree with it. I also know we have the ability to disregard such rulings.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:28 PM
Banned

I want the $3000 bucks I spent on the ministers tags back
There Isn’t going to be f all left
Old 03-19-2019, 09:28 PM

I wanna be a Metis..... How do you find out? Sounds like a dream come true to me. I thought we were all equal these days, why do they constantly promote racism by favoring one group over another and and drive a wedge between the good people of alberta and Canada?
Old 03-19-2019, 09:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
It was 160 km radius of your recognized Métis community, this is basically the same deal as before with a little bigger of an area for each community, you still have to meet the powley requirement to qualify to harvest there are approx 1100 Métis harvesters in Ab that are able to harvest, I don’t think those numbers are going up anytime soon
As I understand it, the Fishing Lake Settlement can now hunt without license and without a season from Red Deer north to Conklin and from Sask all the way to BC. Not exactly a "Little Bigger area" Thats just one example.

Last edited by Jamie; 03-19-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well you did advocate for people to start poaching while they could.
Ya, and?

As far as I’m concerned harvest “rights” are nothing more than poaching licenses. 100 years ago, sure, it’s a way of life and a means of sustaining life. Grocery stores in every community, iPhones, internet, Netflix, there is no way on earth, under any circumstance is unregulated harvesting needed or acceptable any more than a white man poaching.

Six in one, half dozen in the other.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
As I understand it, the Fishing Lake Settlement can now hunt with out listen and with out a season from Red Deer north to Conklin and from Sask all the way to BC. Not exactly a "Little Bigger area" Thats just one example.
What info is that based on? Can you share a link?