Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
Well here is a thought, why not give each status have holder one tag per year per animal, in whatever wmu they live in.
You get one moose tag, u shoot one moose per year whenever you choose to.
Maybe have one for mom and pop and when children reach a certain age then they can get one too.
Make them pick up the tags and f&w just like everyone else. But once u get your animals, u are done till next year. Could even make them come to the office to register the kill too.

Now I relize that that might be impossible to monitor, but some kinda system should be in place.
We are all Canadians! We are equal!

No special rights for anyone!

Equality!!!
Old 01-18-2015, 05:32 PM

Why is Alberta the only province that allows subsistence hunting by non-Albertan natives? Every other province you have to be registered from that province to subsistence hunt there. Not Alberta. Any native from Canada can hunt for subsistence here. In BC if you are a BC native you can subsistence hunt only certain areas only. Otherwise all regular hunting rules apply.
Alberta has no rules.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post

Equality!!!
Sign me up !!
I support your wish.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:34 PM

Default subsistance hunting

The only way we have to manage wildlife populations is by managing hunters. Therefore I believe controls on harvest, FOR ALL HUNTERS, is the only way to ensure viable moose, elk, deer and caribou populations.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsh352 View Post
Why is Alberta the only province that allows subsistence hunting by non-Albertan natives? Every other province you have to be registered from that province to subsistence hunt there. Not Alberta. Any native from Canada can hunt for subsistence here. In BC if you are a BC native you can subsistence hunt only certain areas only. Otherwise all regular hunting rules apply.
Alberta has no rules.
Because ESRD and our alberta game management its a JOKE!!
Old 01-18-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
That is an excellent idea. The trophy can't be scored, but the hunter still gets the meat, and he can even use the antler material to make knife handles or something else if he pleases. If a person is truly a subsistence hunter, then he should have no issue with this. On the other hand, if the person is just using the subsistence right to trophy hunt, then he will be very opposed to this idea.

As well, all animals killed by subsistence hunters should be recorded, so the F&W people actually know how many animals are killed, and where they are killed, so that they can better maintain our animal populations.
Agreed
Old 01-18-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Alberta has no rules.
When it comes to Alberta Hunting, the dung pile is larger than mount Lougheed! That's why our hunting in Alberta is on a one way spiral, to it's death!

Join all the clubs you want....It's our government that fails us, and causes these problems!
Old 01-18-2015, 05:41 PM

Default You better move

You are obviously not a member of the hierarchy ,living on a reserve .

You are not taking advantage of the system . I certainly would be if

My forefathers had come here a little earlier .
Old 01-18-2015, 05:46 PM
Banned

So I don't know if this is a solid number but from what I was told there was 14,000 draw applications put in for the cow draw on the base so at 3 dollars a draw the government just made basically 45,000 dollars off this..

We are talking about making lots of southern alberta into a 6point zone in wmu's 400 303 402 305 306 305 302 , so we are fighting over that at the moment why did we not use this money to tranquilize these elk have them penned loaded up and relocated to these same wmu's rather then killing them off?

The answers I got out of some people and contacts is the elk would never make it with the predators in these areas ..Talk about a cop out answer!!

2nd was why wasn't there a bull draw added in with the cow tags with this or a cow and bull tag rather than two cows ..they should have gave the two tags and said you shoot your cow then you hunt your bull ..just so many more options then what they gave us ...

Just goes to show how big of a joke are ESRD and wildlife management and government is !!!
Old 01-18-2015, 05:54 PM
Banned

Anytime you assign special rights to any one group of people, you are stirring the hornets nest....poking the bear, etc.

Time for ALL Canadians to be treated equally.

And yes, this is what government's always do. Make promises that can't be kept. Look at the benefit packages promised to gov't employees in Detroit, California etc. They are bankrupting these areas. All because the politicos know they won't be around to deal with the problem in 30 years.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:59 PM

You can write/talk all you want but it will change nothing. Never has, never will.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
You can write/talk all you want but it will change nothing. Never has, never will.
X 2, FN subsistence hunting will be revoked about the same time open carry of handguns becomes legal in Canada,,,,
Old 01-18-2015, 06:04 PM

You wouldn't think it would be that difficult to change it so only Alberta natives can subsistence hunt in Alberta??
Every other province has this rule...
Old 01-18-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
You wouldn't think it would be that difficult to change it so only Alberta natives can subsistence hunt in Alberta??
Problem being the province has no business addressing anything treaty. Neither do any other provinces, exception BC due to how treaties were handled in some parts of that province.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post

Equality!!!
George Orwell wrote in his book animal farm when the Pigs became leaders of the said farm,and I Quote from the book.

ORIGINAL LAW FOR ANIMALS

"All animals are equal"

This was then changed to read.

"All animals are equal but some are more equal than others"

The treaties are sacred cows and government is terrified of changing anything in them.,especially something as unimportant "TO THEM" as native hunting rights.

Lets face it Alberta has done a poor job of managing most big game in our province so far. I don't think they care much at all about the state of regulated hunting let alone Indian harvests.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Problem being the province has no business addressing anything treaty. Neither do any other provinces, exception BC due to how treaties were handled in some parts of that province.
This is where you are wrong. The province has every right to address this problem and bring it up to the federal government. If we as a province come together, maybe we can propose a change.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaker View Post
So I don't know if this is a solid number but from what I was told there was 14,000 draw applications put in for the cow draw on the base so at 3 dollars a draw the government just made basically 45,000 dollars off this..

We are talking about making lots of southern alberta into a 6point zone in wmu's 400 303 402 305 306 305 302 , so we are fighting over that at the moment why did we not use this money to tranquilize these elk have them penned loaded up and relocated to these same wmu's rather then killing them off?

The answers I got out of some people and contacts is the elk would never make it with the predators in these areas ..Talk about a cop out answer!!

2nd was why wasn't there a bull draw added in with the cow tags with this or a cow and bull tag rather than two cows ..they should have gave the two tags and said you shoot your cow then you hunt your bull ..just so many more options then what they gave us ...

Just goes to show how big of a joke are ESRD and wildlife management and government is !!!
Transplanting the Elk would work only if they are given a grace period after the move. They should be free from hunting from ANYONE and allowed to acclimatize in the new area.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Transplanting the Elk would work only if they are given a grace period after the move. They should be free from hunting from ANYONE and allowed to acclimatize in the new area.
Of course they would do fine its with out a doubt in my mind they would and all they would have to do it snap a tag in there ear and state to the rules what wmu they were entered into and left for one year a bright green or orange tag in there ear would let you know you cant shoot and more than that their elk id rather see them shot down here in one year then whats going on there elk they come built in with the power to survive ..its just more excuses as to not do anything .
Old 01-18-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Yup, just like goldfish....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."

Last edited by Morbius131; 01-18-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:37 PM
Banned

An eye for an eye.....

Most are already blind. Let's not forget why we're here.... We absolutely abolished they're game herds many years ago, like nuked them! Then we put them in the residential system.... We deserve every bit of what were getting.

It is time for rules and regulations though. No point repeating the past.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
An eye for an eye.....

Most are already blind. Let's not forget why we're here.... We absolutely abolished they're game herds many years ago, like nuked them! Then we put them in the residential system.... We deserve every bit of what were getting.

It is time for rules and regulations though. No point repeating the past.
This is 2015 I think what happened in the past out with the old in with the new !!
Old 01-18-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
This is where you are wrong. The province has every right to address this problem and bring it up to the federal government. If we as a province come together, maybe we can propose a change.
So how am I wrong?

So what you just admitted is that the province has to bring it to the attention of the federal government. Kinda like telling mom it's not fair. (Because they have no business dealing with it themselves)
Old 01-18-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Do you have any proof of that?

Here is a link to a map of the numbered treaties and the geographical areas they cover. Some treaties cover 2 provinces, at least one 3.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eaties-Map.svg

No expert, but what you are saying doesn't make sense. Provinces can't dictate the terms of a Federal treaty, especially when the Federal treaty pre dated the province (Alberta and Sask didn't exist when the treaties were signed, exception being 10)

Are you sure you aren't mixing up Metis and Status?
Old 01-18-2015, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
So how am I wrong?

So what you just admitted is that the province has to bring it to the attention of the federal government. Kinda like telling mom it's not fair. (Because they have no business dealing with it themselves)
Oh I'd be more than pleased to go above MOM and deal with it my self ...Tell me smoking joe why is it whats good for one man isn't good for another ? In my books if one person gets to hunt we all should and should be fair to all no ?
Old 01-18-2015, 07:09 PM

The suffield elk are loceted in a cwd zone. So I prezoom that is why the elk are not and cannot be relocated. Currently bioligists are working on a way to test animals saliva for cwd. Currently the only way to test animals for cwd is to kill them and test brain or spinal fluid. So until the bioligists can figure out a way to live test animals for cwd, the suffield elk cannot be transplanted.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
The Natural Resource Transfer Agreement (NRTA act) is applicable to Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba and are all ruled under this act. The Act says any Indian and is not specific, that is why any Indian with a Treaty card can hunt in these three provinces. The feds or the crown back in those days must have gotten lazy and wanted to fast track the transfer. Back then they were more interested in Resource rich Ontario....

In Ontario you can only exercise your rights within your Treaty area unless you get permission from a First Nation in another Treaty area...
Old 01-18-2015, 07:15 PM

Old 01-18-2015, 07:16 PM

I suspect that the laws can be changed. Were treaties signed before there were provincial Parks or national parks? They were changed to accommodate these new parks. Somewhere, somehow, sometime, someone came to the realization that it can't be a free for all everywhere.
I can tell you that I have many friends that are treaty Indians and I have lived on disputed lands(not yet a reserve) with treaty Indians. There are all kinds of attitudes you will find there. I did find that when you can just shoot another moose tomorrow, the ones in your truck aren't all that valued. When you spend a long July day shooting and gutting moose and loading them in the truck. Then make a stop or two to visit a couple of friends the last thing that you want to do is unload those moose and hang them up. That would be difficult for anyone. It is hard to imagine but think of it this way, if groceries were free it wouldn't be as much of a priority to unload them and put them away. Some would spoil, no big deal. Get more tomorrow. Evidence of this is at my wedding I payed for all of the drinks for all of the guests and if you have ever done this before you will know how many just open beer and full drinks you throw out the next day.
Disobedience, in the eyes of any one who has read history, is [hu]man's original virtue. It is through disobedience that progress has been made, through disobedience and through rebellion.
I'm not sure if the qualifys me for "banned camp" but if so, it's been good to know ya 😢
Old 01-18-2015, 07:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
So how am I wrong?

You are wrong in saying the province has no "business" dealing with this problem. If mom knows it's a problem, why doesn't she have any business telling dad to smarten up?
Old 01-18-2015, 07:25 PM

Default Suffield Bull Elk Subsistence Hunting

I received this picture earlier today with a message saying that there have been close to 400 head of bull elk harvested on the Suffield base by Saskatchewan First Nations. I had thought about posting earlier but didn't want to ruffle any tail feathers. And then, low and behold, saw this thread.

I did not take this picture and cannot guarantee the story, but it came from a very, very good source.

This doesn't look like subsistence hunting to me. But what do I know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0686.jpg (37.5 KB, 731 views)
Closed Thread