Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-07-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhguy View Post
the offence is that your group wants to ban something that even your own members don't believe is used, is too hard to learn, you have not a shred of fact stated anywhere that this hunting method is causing any harm or abuse, all to "protect our image"

for such a dedicated interest group your short sited views are amazing. any argument for banning a spear can be made for bow hunting without any stretch at all. do you thing groups like peta are now going to support your interests more because spears are banned??

i believe that any changes lobbied by any group should have to have support documents of fact given before any vote is held, the fact that this is even on any table for a vote shows that our hunting future is based on random opinions and not fact, there are way more people out there that hunt using these methods that don't go on forums and don't become members of lobby groups, but i guess they don't pay to have an opinion
I think you mistook KBF for NBFK.....

I am glad we have someone who has learned to hunt with a spear involved here, I suspect the ones pushing the resolution thought that no one who uses that method to hunt would speak up....it's a slippery slope....

LC
Old 01-07-2014, 09:49 AM

Default One responce I recieved

Thanks for the input Ray. As you state I believe this will be an agenda item at an upcoming Alberta Game Management Advisory Group meeting on January 14.

I have not received much input on it from AFGA members to date; the little that I have personally received is ~ ¾ opposed to the proposal, ¼ in favor.

Personally, it seems to me that it opens a huge “can of worms” to address a non-existent or at least minimal problem. (the video that apparently started this was shot in Ontario from what I can gather – and there are many more much potentially counter-productive and graphic videos of archery and for that matter rifle hunting out there)

Ian Stuart

Provincial Hunting Chair

Alberta Fish and Game Association

Sent: Friday, January 3, 2014 11:20 AM
To: mooseridge2@gmail.com
Subject: Spears and Atlatls be banned for hunting big game

“The ABA has requested that Spears and Atlatls be banned for hunting big game.

My understanding is that this resolution was not voted upon by the membership, that it was a decision by the President. I get the sense that the ABA is trying to get this passed under the radar. This resolution is on the agenda for discussion at the AGMAG meeting, January 14.”

This is one man’s opinion and is not, how a change to the regulations should be decided. As a member of several hunting associations this is a terrible idea and I will do my best to make sure this standing president of the ABA is not re elected.

If one chooses to hunt with a spear or a Atlatls that should be their individual right. We as a species survived for thousands of years with little more then these weapons in our hands.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:51 AM

Default From Brent Watson

Brent Watson (bcwatson@telusplanet.net)
Add to contacts
04/01/2014
[Keep this message at the top of your inbox]
To: 'Ray B'
Picture of Brent Watson

Hi Ray – Had a member email about this as well so I put together this outline on the background.

This issue popped up a couple of years ago when I had 2 members contact me about the use of spears/atlatls in Alberta, what they had seen on YouTube and one had a friend who had used a spear on a bear. I chked with the head of enforcement in Alberta Pat Dunford and he said there were no laws on the books not allowing them, etc. They had a few negative comments made to them but nothing really more than that. I brought the issue up at an ABA exec mtg June 18 2012 after I raised the question at the AGAMG (Alberta Game Management Advisory Group) mtg in May 2012. The below is from the minutes of our ABA exec mtg that June.

AGMAG mtg (May)

Hunting with spears

Discussion as to issue brought up at AGMAG. Possible public reaction if it became public. How we as hunting groups can defend the practice - very hard. SRD Enforcement will bring issue back to Dec AGMAG with proposal to prohibit hunting with spears. Was no opposition from groups at AGMAG.

ESRD came back to the May 29 2013 AGMAG meeting and explained how there are no rules concerning using atlatls/spears as well as some other weapons out there (high power air rifles, blow guns, even people wanting to run down and kill game with their bare hands). The stakeholder members and ESRD personel at the meeting discussed the issue, how hard if not impossible it would be to defend the use of these weapons based on all the other criteria we use to defend what we use now as hunters, how negative a public response (from hunters and non-hunters both) would likely be when something hit social media (based on past experiences/responses etc on similar issues – examples are coyote hunting with hounds (now illegal after a houndsman did a taped interview and hunt with CTV on the issue) and the Vancouver Canucks player David Booth who legally killed a black bear with his bow in Alberta over bait two years ago). Many were surprised that they could be used for hunting in Alberta. From that I/we drafted up a change proposal on behalf of the AGMAG stakeholders to have it officially put on the agenda, into the processes for discussion etc.

From May 29 2013 AGMAG Minutes:

· ABA – Make use of spears and atlatls illegal for hunting big game in AB.

o Full support from AGMAG to define legal big game hunting equipment.

The next AGMAG Meeting is January 14 2014 and we will know more then what the stakeholders of AGMAG think on the issue. AGMAG stakeholders:

Environment and Sustainable Resource Development, Alberta Tourism, Parks, and Recreation, Alberta Chapter of the Wildlife Society

Alberta Fish and Game Association, Wild Sheep Foundation of Alberta, Hunting For Tomorrow, Safari Club International

AB Association of Municipal Districts and Counties, Alberta Bowhunters Association, Wild Elk Federation , Delta Waterfowl Foundation

Alberta Beef Producers, Alberta Professional Outfitters Society.

At the Hunting For Tomorrow stakeholders meeting December 17 2013 the issue was discussed and all members present were in favor of ESRD looking to define what weapons should be legal to hunt big game. I haven’t got copies of those meeting minutes yet. The stakeholders present at this meeting were Alberta Fish & Game Association, Hunting For Tomorrow, Alberta Bowhunters Association, Alberta Professional Outfitters Society, Alberta Hunter Education Instructors Association. Representatives from ESRD were also there to provide information on issues as questions from the stakeholders came up. Several reps were shocked/surprised to find out there were no rules governing this type of stuff.

At the ABA AGM March 29 2014 in Lethbridge we will bring this up for discussion and give everyone the background info etc and see what the members think. There will be a report in the next newsletter (should be out in a month or so) outlining this and a couple of other things we are working on (archery season draw proposal, Cooperative Game Mgt survey, the Mule Deer management Review process and our ABA questionnaire for feedback on the state of our mule deer).

I have personally seen the spear and atlatl videos on YouTube. Pretty distasteful and not what we need to be shown portraying how we are as hunters etc. I know of a fellow who used a spear on a bear – bit of a circus it ended up. My son in law has an atlatl (present from son David from ATBA Jamboree in Hinton) and I have used it. I have been to 2 ATBA Jamborees and seen lots of people using the atlatl – even watched the guy who makes/sells them demonstrating how they work etc. Are a fun thing but in this day and age not something I would promote/endorse as a hunting tool.

Hope that brings you up to speed on this. Any other questions just let me know.

Last edited by 6.5 shooter; 01-07-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Add to contacts
04/01/2014
Picture of Brent Watson

Hi Ray – Had a member email about this as well so I put together this outline on the background.

This issue popped up a couple of years ago when I had 2 members contact me about the use of spears/atlatls in Alberta, what they had seen on YouTube and one had a friend who had used a spear on a bear. I chked with the head of enforcement in Alberta Pat Dunford and he said there were no laws on the books not allowing them, etc. They had a few negative comments made to them but nothing really more than that. I brought the issue up at an ABA exec mtg June 18 2012 after I raised the question at the AGAMG (Alberta Game Management Advisory Group) mtg in May 2012. The below is from the minutes of our ABA exec mtg that June.

AGMAG mtg (May)

Hunting with spears

Discussion as to issue brought up at AGMAG. Possible public reaction if it became public. How we as hunting groups can defend the practice - very hard. SRD Enforcement will bring issue back to Dec AGMAG with proposal to prohibit hunting with spears. Was no opposition from groups at AGMAG.

ESRD came back to the May 29 2013 AGMAG meeting and explained how there are no rules concerning using atlatls/spears as well as some other weapons out there (high power air rifles, blow guns, even people wanting to run down and kill game with their bare hands). The stakeholder members and ESRD personel at the meeting discussed the issue, how hard if not impossible it would be to defend the use of these weapons based on all the other criteria we use to defend what we use now as hunters, how negative a public response (from hunters and non-hunters both) would likely be when something hit social media (based on past experiences/responses etc on similar issues – examples are coyote hunting with hounds (now illegal after a houndsman did a taped interview and hunt with CTV on the issue) and the Vancouver Canucks player David Booth who legally killed a black bear with his bow in Alberta over bait two years ago). Many were surprised that they could be used for hunting in Alberta. From that I/we drafted up a change proposal on behalf of the AGMAG stakeholders to have it officially put on the agenda, into the processes for discussion etc.

The next AGMAG Meeting is January 14 2014 and we will know more then what the stakeholders of AGMAG think on the issue. AGMAG stakeholders:

Environment and Sustainable Resource Development, Alberta Tourism, Parks, and Recreation, Alberta Chapter of the Wildlife Society

Alberta Fish and Game Association, Wild Sheep Foundation of Alberta, Hunting For Tomorrow, Safari Club International

AB Association of Municipal Districts and Counties, Alberta Bowhunters Association, Wild Elk Federation , Delta Waterfowl Foundation

At the Hunting For Tomorrow stakeholders meeting December 17 2013 the issue was discussed and all members present were in favor of ESRD looking to define what weapons should be legal to hunt big game. I haven’t got copies of those meeting minutes yet. The stakeholders present at this meeting were Alberta Fish & Game Association, Hunting For Tomorrow, Alberta Bowhunters Association, Alberta Professional Outfitters Society, Alberta Hunter Education Instructors Association. Representatives from ESRD were also there to provide information on issues as questions from the stakeholders came up. Several reps were shocked/surprised to find out there were no rules governing this type of stuff.

At the ABA AGM March 29 2014 in Lethbridge we will bring this up for discussion and give everyone the background info etc and see what the members think. There will be a report in the next newsletter (should be out in a month or so) outlining this and a couple of other things we are working on (archery season draw proposal, Cooperative Game Mgt survey, the Mule Deer management Review process and our ABA questionnaire for feedback on the state of our mule deer).

I have personally seen the spear and atlatl videos on YouTube. Pretty distasteful and not what we need to be shown portraying how we are as hunters etc. I know of a fellow who used a spear on a bear – bit of a circus it ended up. My son in law has an atlatl (present from son David from ATBA Jamboree in Hinton) and I have used it. I have been to 2 ATBA Jamborees and seen lots of people using the atlatl – even watched the guy who makes/sells them demonstrating how they work etc. Are a fun thing but in this day and age not something I would promote/endorse as a hunting tool.

I think he sent the same letter to everyone that sent him an e-mail.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:59 AM

The other "Gentleman" who I contacted (from WB post) have not gotten back to me.

I am not a ABA member but will be, simply so I can vote out any persons who feels a ban on any form of hunting is a good idea.

We need to stick together and quit fighting.. let's not be "Cannibals"
(Thanks Redfrog)

Last edited by 6.5 shooter; 01-07-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:04 AM

This is not just an ABA thing....all members of AGMAG are responsible in giving input is what I read into this....

LC
Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I think you mistook KBF for NBFK.....

I am glad we have someone who has learned to hunt with a spear involved here, I suspect the ones pushing the resolution thought that no one who uses that method to hunt would speak up....it's a slippery slope....

LC
i would like to publicly apologize for my mix up !!!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:09 AM

I suspect the ones pushing the resolution thought that no one who uses that method to hunt would speak up....it's a slippery slope....

LC

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!THIS^^^^^^ was a nibble.

Divide and conquer my friend.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Add to contacts
04/01/2014
Picture of Brent Watson

AGMAG mtg (May)

Hunting with spears

so we need this practice banned because of youtube videos?????? in that case i hope we ban people from driving cars as well, there are way more distasteful vids of people stunting and doing dangerous things then with a spear.

the thought on banning things that are primitive and uncommon is scary to me, how far away is banning trapping if we push this along. not popular anymore, its primitive, there are quicker ways to kill an animal.....

im surprised all the rifle hunters on here didn't pick up on the high powered air rifle segment as well??? it just shows how all fashions are going to end up being grouped together.

also a question from the posted email, are blow guns not illegal already?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
i would like to publicly apologize for my mix up !!!
Thank you sir, i wondered what exactly i did.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:15 AM

This bring up an analogy from the movie "FOOTLOOSE" they banned dancing in the town....

This is almost as crazy as that....if we allow the banning of something based on public opinion and perception then there are much larger issues on the "banning hit list" than spear hunting....

For one, when a young girl knows what and how to "twerk" I see that as a larger issue

LC
Old 01-07-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
so we need this practice banned because of youtube videos?????? in that case i hope we ban people from driving cars as well, there are way more distasteful vids of people stunting and doing dangerous things then with a spear.

the thought on banning things that are primitive and uncommon is scary to me, how far away is banning trapping if we push this along. not popular anymore, its primitive, there are quicker ways to kill an animal....

im surprised all the rifle hunters on here didn't pick up on the high powered air rifle segment as well??? it just shows how all fashions are going to end up being grouped together.

also a question from the posted email, are blow guns not illegal already?
Exactly Bh; next most primitive - flat bows / self bows, then long bows, then recurves... then muskets, then muzzleloaders...

If the ABA thinks the government of AB will stop at 'hand thrown' tools, they may be very surprised.

And yes, "blow guns" are "prohibited weapons" in Canada.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:55 PM

I for one will be bear hunting with a spear this spring. I have a stand set up in the back yard so I can practice at the same distance/angle I'll have my bait at. I have my practice spear and will get one more "business" spear that doesn't get hurled into the dirt.

If you think a spear lacks killing power, I suggest you try one. I'm using a Cold Steel Samburu spear, and the penetration you can achieve with only moderate effort is quite remarkable. Accuracy comes with practice, but it actually is easier to do than you might think. I'm definitely limiting the distance to the bait, but I think it should work quite well.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:31 PM

Well done and good luck have fun fun fun

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post
I for one will be bear hunting with a spear this spring. I have a stand set up in the back yard so I can practice at the same distance/angle I'll have my bait at. I have my practice spear and will get one more "business" spear that doesn't get hurled into the dirt.

If you think a spear lacks killing power, I suggest you try one. I'm using a Cold Steel Samburu spear, and the penetration you can achieve with only moderate effort is quite remarkable. Accuracy comes with practice, but it actually is easier to do than you might think. I'm definitely limiting the distance to the bait, but I think it should work quite well.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
This is not just an ABA thing....all members of AGMAG are responsible in giving input is what I read into this....

LC
How do you figure that Lefty? This is a push by Brent Watson and the ABA who he represents, plain and simple. IF the other members of the AGMAG allow him/them to get away with it then, yes, I will agree with you that they are partly responsible by simply letting it happen. But in my mind, there's absolutely no question whatsoever that Brent Watson and the ABA are the catalyst behind this.

Pardon the editing but I wanted to cut through the BS.

Quote:

This issue popped up a couple of years ago when I had 2 members contact me.....
I chked with the head of enforcement in Alberta Pat Dunford.....
I brought the issue up at an ABA exec mtg June 18 2012 after I raised the question at the AGAMG (Alberta Game Management Advisory Group) mtg in May 2012.

AGMAG mtg (May)

Hunting with spears

Discussion as to issue brought up at AGMAG.

ESRD came back to the May 29 2013 AGMAG meeting and explained how there are no rules concerning using atlatls/spears as well as some other weapons out there (high power air rifles, blow guns, even people wanting to run down and kill game with their bare hands).

This is how it starts. First the spears and atlatls then start chipping away at everything else that the ABA doesn't consider traditional archery equipment! They care about bows, that's it! In their perfect world there'd be no spears, rifles, crossbows or anything else!

From that I/we We? Now that the ABA pushed for it it's a collaborative effort? No, it was an ABA idea! drafted up a change proposal on behalf of the AGMAG stakeholders to have it officially put on the agenda, into the processes for discussion etc.

ABA

I have personally seen the spear and atlatl videos on YouTube. Pretty distasteful and not what we need to be shown portraying how we are as hunters etc. I know people that think hunting with bow and/or rifle is distasteful so we should make them illegal as well? WTH makes this guy think that he has the right to decide what is tasteful and what is not? Tell your membership how they should think, not everyone else. I know of a fellow who used a spear on a bear – bit of a circus it ended up. Yeah, because everything always goes according to plan with a bow. My son in law has an atlatl (present from son David from ATBA Jamboree in Hinton) and I have used it. I have been to 2 ATBA Jamborees and seen lots of people using the atlatl – even watched the guy who makes/sells them demonstrating how they work etc. Are a fun thing but in this day and age not something I would promote/endorse as a hunting tool.
Re the last sentence highlighted......In this day and age who needs a bow to hunt with when rifles are available? Same logic IMO.

Last edited by HunterDave; 01-08-2014 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxclaro View Post

sweet spear I have one too, I wish you luck and when this blow over...I hope ill start a thread to trade tips
Old 01-08-2014, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
LOL Now that worked well, didn't it?
Yes, Yes it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
If we are really worried about divisions amongst ourselves, maybe the best thing to do is shut the forum down completely.
This would make some people quite happy. It can be a pain having to deal with a public that learns what is going on.

Quote:

LC
I hope that re-reading Brent Watson's reply will clarify this for you.

All AGMG members will get to vote on this matter, the resolution is up for a vote solely due to the efforts of the ABA exec.

To those who have written, THANK YOU. Your words are being heard. To those who have not written yet, please do, it is not to late to have your opinion heard and counted.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:06 PM

My point didn't come across right...what I meant is the ABA cannot pass this resolution alone. All user groups that make up AGMAG will have input, they may be the group that initiated the resolution but other groups are equally responsible in deciding the fate of the resolution.

LC
Old 01-09-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
My point didn't come across right...what I meant is the ABA cannot pass this resolution alone. All user groups that make up AGMAG will have input, they may be the group that initiated the resolution but other groups are equally responsible in deciding the fate of the resolution.

LC
Unfortunately it is not JUST "user groups" that get a vote; The Wildlife Society (professional wildlife bio org), the municipalities group and Tourism, Parks and Recreation all get to vote as well. I don't know if ESRD "votes" as well, or if they just run the meetings.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:05 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
I totally agree with this statement. The biggest threat to you, me, and all resident hunters in Alberta is Outfitting.

I moved here from Saskatchewan and the difference in getting permission to hunt is unbelievable! All the lease is "tied up" in Alberta mostly because of outfitting. All the good whitetail property up here is off limits mostly because of outfitting.

The resident hunter in this province reminds me of the adage of a frog in a pot of water with the burner on, clueless until it is too late!
Eyes wide shut there is plenty of crown land to hunt.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Eyes wide shut there is plenty of crown land to hunt.
The leased land refered to is Crown land....or did you forget that?

Otherwise...not so much.

First of all it is concentrated to the north and the west.

Then more and more of it is gated off and for that reason as well as the fact that a large part of it is keg...makes access a bit of an issue for most people.

Not that a majority should matter to anyone in a freaking democracy...

Outfitters, game farmers...folks pushing for paid access all working in concert are the biggest threat to hunting in this province.

Commercial interests conditioning us all to think of hunting as an industry have imposed themselves upon the preogative of all of us and the trend needs to be stopped and reversed.

There are too many people trying to make money off of a resource that is our right to access and enjoy....first.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:38 PM

Cool, I didn't know you could hunt with a spear… Now Im going to go try it.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:29 PM

Default Dang

One question. Why?

Dang it I through away my gaff, my Chinese flare, my bola and my sling.

Haven't we advanced in the past oh let's say 100 yrs. anyways
Old 01-09-2014, 08:32 PM

I am manufacturing a rope triggered ballista that I will set up on game trails and trigger from the comfort of my tree stand...that should be ok?

I'll hunt during the general season

LC
Old 01-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by openfire View Post
Cool, I didn't know you could hunt with a spear… Now Im going to go try it.
Cabalas in Edmonton is sold out.

Buy the cheap one.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Cabalas in Edmonton is sold out.

Buy the cheap one.
Will the cheap one be good enough for SUB MOA?
Old 01-09-2014, 08:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Will the cheap one be good enough for SUB MOA?
The sales lady said 1/4 inch.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:34 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
The sales lady said 1/4 inch.
And put yourself on a strength training program so you can heave the spear with such a violent force that you crap yourself!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I am manufacturing a rope triggered ballista that I will set up on game trails and trigger from the comfort of my tree stand...that should be ok?

I'll hunt during the general season

LC

Be sure to post pictures.

A case could be made to re-open the Alberta "Wild" horse spear only season.

Ancient spear from Alberta that was coated in blood of the now-extinct Mexican horse.

The now-extinct Mexican horse (Equus conversidens) ventured well north into Alberta’s tundra meadows and onto the menu of Alberta’s first humans. Ancient residues of horse blood were found on stone spear tips used over 10,000 years ago in southern Alberta. Fossil horse bones have also been found near Grande Prairie, Taber, Cochrane, and in the Edmonton area.
http://albertashistoricplaces.wordpr...ogical-survey/

Old 01-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Be sure to post pictures.

A case could be made to re-open the Alberta "Wild" horse spear only season.

Ancient spear from Alberta that was coated in blood of the now-extinct Mexican horse.

The now-extinct Mexican horse (Equus conversidens) ventured well north into Alberta’s tundra meadows and onto the menu of Alberta’s first humans. Ancient residues of horse blood were found on stone spear tips used over 10,000 years ago in southern Alberta. Fossil horse bones have also been found near Grande Prairie, Taber, Cochrane, and in the Edmonton area.
http://albertashistoricplaces.wordpr...ogical-survey/

Could this be misinterpreted as an admission that the horse (equus) is in fact native to Alberta. J/k