Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-23-2013, 07:04 PM

Default Your Idea's, to face lift our current Draw System

10 quick Idea's of the top of my head

They may need tweeking, and are not set in stone in my mind!!

1. Verify all WIN #’s are valid people

• Proof of passed hunters training certificate
• Proof of Residency
• Picture I.D verification to obtain Win card ( and even have picture on Win cards)

2. New Albertans have to have residency for 1 year before obtaining a Win Card ( Canadian armed forces are waived one year wait)

3. Price increase for draw application

4. Deadline date to purchase draws .

• Failure to do so, will forfeit that said draw, and it’s priority points.
• Draws not purchased at deadline, go to the next available hunter.
• Doctors note or justified unforeseeable circumstances explaination can save forfeiture of priority points. ( if accepted before the deadline)

5. Draws that have a priority of more than 7 years , work off the priority system, with an allotment for 1 lottery tag, of which the hunter has less than 7 years priority.

6. Non resident hunters have their own dedicated draws, with a smaller % dedicated to them, according to harvest reports .

7. Harvest reports are mandatory at the end of every season, for all hunters. Draws can not be purchased until survey is completed.

8. Non residents can not be hunter hosted for , Mule deer, Sheep and Antelope, and Moose.

9. Create a lottery draw( like 438, a, b,c) in all sheep zones for November. ( limit of one lottery per zone, and perhaps it can me ran much like the goat draw, on zones that have less Bighorn numbers)

10. Limit the number of successful draws, someone can obtain in a year. ( example 3 successful draws per season)

I also have a Trophy hunting draw system I’ve thought of. That can co-exist with the system we basically have. I can pm anyone interested, it still needs input and tweeking.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post

• Proof of Residency
• Picture I.D verification to obtain Win card ( and even have picture on Win cards)

2. New Albertans have to have residency for 1 year before obtaining a Win Card ( Canadian armed forces are waived one year wait)

• Doctors note or justified unforeseeable circumstances explaination can save forfeiture of priority points. ( if accepted before the deadline)

5. Draws that have a priority of more than 7 years , work off the priority system, with an allotment for 1 lottery tag, of which the hunter has less than 7 years priority.

6. Non resident hunters have their own dedicated draws, with a smaller % dedicated to them, according to harvest reports .

7. Harvest reports are mandatory at the end of every season, for all hunters. Draws can not be purchased until survey is completed.

8. Non residents can not be hunter hosted for , Mule deer, Sheep and Antelope, and Moose.

9. Create a lottery draw( like 438, a, b,c) in all sheep zones for November. ( limit of one lottery per zone, and perhaps it can me ran much like the goat draw, on zones that have less Bighorn numbers)

10. Limit the number of successful draws, someone can obtain in a year. ( example 3 successful draws per season)

I also have a Trophy hunting draw system I’ve thought of. That can co-exist with the system we basically have. I can pm anyone interested, it still needs input and tweeking.
great idea Potty!!!number 10 is a good idea, the others have all been pretty much covered in a different thread....

Last edited by hal53; 06-23-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:15 PM

I actually agree with every point. Pm that other system. Only thing I would add is a slight price increase in draw applications and tags.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:20 PM

As a suggestion, Even if Potty never asked for it.

For starters at least, instead of this becoming another debate thread, just post up your own ideas.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteed17 View Post
I actually agree with every point. Pm that other system. Only thing I would add is a slight price increase in draw applications and tags.
so now you agree with increased app. fees and a limit on how many tags you can get in a year???...which way is the wind blowing there now. ? the ultimate goal, I thought was to eliminate the horrendous wait times?, how will any of his points accomplish this??... or is it just your "right" to apply for 15 draws a year???..the more I read here, the more I agree (sadly) with Pack, go get 'er boys, before they're all gone.....sorry...

Last edited by hal53; 06-23-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:25 PM
Banned

8 of them are pretty good. number 5 is only ok. I see that aimed largely at sheep. it is better than the status quo. number 10 is cheese. you actually said in the other thread you are against it too.....if you can only draw 3, then you better not apply for more than 3.

as for the trophy ideas...you have posted them before and it has been explained pretty well why it wont work. there is no control over harvest numbers on any given year. a few low numbers could blow up if everyone cashed in on the same year resulting on overharvest. as a trophy hunter, I like the concept, but in reality game management has to take precedent.

the only suggestion I have is to raise application fees on premium species. its the only way to eliminate the wife, the neighbour, the dog, and the kid down the street applying so old joe can sneak a mountain goat out of the Wilmore at 2 am and try to convince everyone the kid or the dog went hunting.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
so now you agree with increased app. fees and a limit on how many tags you can get in a year???...which way is the wind blowing there now. ? the ultimate goal, I thought was to eliminate the horrendous wait times?, how will any of his points accomplish this??... or is it just your "right" to apply for 15 draws a year???..the more I read here, the more I agree (sadly) with Pack, go get 'er boys, before they're all gone.....sorry...
If you read in the other thread right from the beginning I said we needed higher fees not sure how you missed that. And potty said limit to DRAWING 3 tags not APPLYING for 3 like you said. Big difference.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:30 PM

I am on board with most of the points but point 10 doesn't make a bunch if sense to me....I hunt all species in the province (or try to).....nice to focus on moose one year then elk then mule deer then sheep, etc. hard to pick only 3 to focus on....if someone gets 4 tags in a year and cannot hunt on all the tags, them they have lost the priority points anyhow and are back if the buss the following year....

It's a logistic nightmare to try and limit swine to only holding 3 draws tags if they are still able to apply for as many as they want.

Limit the nonresidents to applying for only 1 or 2....that makes sense.

LC
Old 06-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
If you read in the other thread right from the beginning I said we needed higher fees not sure how you missed that. And potty said limit to DRAWING 3 tags not APPLYING for 3 like you said. Big difference.
okay sorry, I must have missed it, but being drawn for 3 and applying for 15 will do NOTHING to reduce the wait times, can you not see that?
Old 06-23-2013, 07:34 PM

As soon as you draw a tag, you are charged for that tag.

Quote:
Doctors note or justified unforeseeable circumstances explaination can save forfeiture of priority points. ( if accepted before the deadline)
Who decides what is justified? People will try to abuse that clause, so I would not include it. If you are drawn, and you don't purchase your tag, the tag is redrawn again using the priority system, and your forfeit your priority.

If you fail to purchase tags a second time, in another year, you are suspended from using the draw system.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
okay sorry, I must have missed it, but being drawn for 3 and applying for 15 will do NOTHING to reduce the wait times, can you not see that?
I honestly do not understand how limiting me and everyone else to 3 draws a year helps me draw faster. Honestly fill me in on what I can't figure out.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
As soon as you draw a tag, you are charged for that tag.

Who decides what is justified? People will try to abuse that clause, so I would not include it. If you are drawn, and you don't purchase your tag, the tag is redrawn again using the priority system, and your forfeit your priority.
Agree. As sucky as it is it has to be otherwise it'll be abused.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
It might because the other 12 draws a person may have put in for will now be available to others.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I honestly do not understand how limiting me and everyone else to 3 draws a year helps me draw faster. Honestly fill me in on what I can't figure out.
sigh... it won't in the short term, but it will eventually get rid of the backlog, hence the idea about no 999'ing after 2 or maybe 3 consecutive years?...it will be short term pain, for long term gain. Fairly easy to see...then people like you would not have to shotgun apply for a species in a zone that you will likely never hunt, just to "build priority", that is what is wrong with the system right now....
Old 06-23-2013, 07:39 PM

Point 6 is a good one.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
Point 6 is a good one.
yup agreed, it was discussed on another thread....
Old 06-23-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
sigh... it won't in the short term, but it will eventually get rid of the backlog, hence the idea about no 999'ing after 2 or maybe 3 consecutive years?...it will be short term pain, for long term gain. Fairly easy to see...then people like you would not have to shotgun apply for a species in a zone that you will likely never hunt, just to "build priority", that is what is wrong with the system right now....
People like me! Cause we've met and you know exactly where and how I hunt. Wow and here I thought you actually had some advice to give being old and all. Every single draw I put in for I have either hunted the area already or scouted it or have very good contacts willing to go with me. Guess that's shotgunning then...
Old 06-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
People like me! Cause we've met and you know exactly where and how I hunt. Wow and here I thought you actually had some advice to give being old and all. Every single draw I put in for I have either hunted the area already or scouted it or have very good contacts willing to go with me. Guess that's shotgunning then...
I am just sayin', everyone may have to give up a bit for a couple years to get things back in order, The antiquated draw system we are dealing with hasn't changed since it's inception. Times change we have to as well. FWIW, it really means nothing to me, my best hunting days are long behind me, but I have an 8 year old grandson, who if he could started applying now, would not get a draw in this province for some species in his life time, you see anything wrong with that??? but go ahead and keep building your priority...just in case??? that is where the problem is...or, am I totally missing something here?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I am on board with most of the points but point 10 doesn't make a bunch if sense to me....I hunt all species in the province (or try to).....nice to focus on moose one year then elk then mule deer then sheep, etc. hard to pick only 3 to focus on....if someone gets 4 tags in a year and cannot hunt on all the tags, them they have lost the priority points anyhow and are back if the buss the following year....

It's a logistic nightmare to try and limit swine to only holding 3 draws tags if they are still able to apply for as many as they want.

Limit the nonresidents to applying for only 1 or 2....that makes sense.

LC
Lol swine....damn autocorrect!

LC
Old 06-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:

LC
that's was a typo?!? I thought you were referring to me and my 5 draw tags this year.....

do I get a carry over since I drew nothing last year? that should mean 6 is acceptable this year then right?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Banned

I'm pretty good with all the points mentioned and could live with them.

I'd also like to see the 999 program dropped completely. Proiprities should be put on what you can hunt. You could skip a year and not lose points but not just apply to get points.
I know lots like to bank point and plan hunts but it's tough as to many people get high point numbers and we are right back here.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:10 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

LC
so..I thought we had somewhat corrected the thoughts that NR's were taking too many tags???. The problem still is, I believe, that too many residents, and pseudo-residents are applying for way too many draws, hence piling up the system. |If you apply for 15 draws and get them, there is no way on earth you can hunt them all, unless you just won Lotto-whatever it's called, so do you see where applying and 999 is bunching it up??
Old 06-23-2013, 08:13 PM
Banned

"6. Non resident hunters have their own dedicated draws, with a smaller % dedicated to them, according to harvest reports ."

I would add that any species that residents have to draw for would not be available to Non-residents.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:15 PM

Ok, forget my suggestion.

Quote:

• Proof of Residency

You mean 1 year wait for Resident status.
And include a provision requiring the person to have spent 6months of the year in Alberta.

Payments gets complicated and expensve to run. CC# with application and charged upon successful draw. There can be a return option available for those that know they will not use the tag.

Change 1 licence to 10% of licences on lottery for All draws.

While this is better than present, I think we will still need some other system in order to deal with the problem of high demand.

I disagree with this completely.
A separate NR draw pool makes these licences Unavailable to residents. Other jurisdictions have gone through this and know better.
By keeping the NR (with a %cap) in the same pool as residents, residents have the potential to draw 100% of the licences while still giving NR the opportunity to draw up to the set cap.

Sure, the info can only help inform future decisions.

Unless Outfitters have the same restrictions, then No.

You have fallen right into what APOS has desired for many years, to have exclusive rights if a NR hunter wants to hunt in alberta

Sounds great, but the harvest may be too high for sustaining a general season. Let's get more Nov. sheep draws in some of the wmu's that have a high number of park rams.

Excluding antlerless draws?

11. Create a Big Game Stamp which can only be purchased with proof of being eligible to hunt (exception for 11-12 year old applicants)

A person must purchase a valid Wildlife certificate and Big Game stamp BEFORE being eligable to apply in the draw system.

Great Idea!

Yes, keep it to pm. You don't have enough beer to help me understand that one.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingtwo View Post
"6. Non resident hunters have their own dedicated draws, with a smaller % dedicated to them, according to harvest reports ."

I would add that any species that residents have to draw for would not be available to Non-residents.
i keep hearing that and keep hating it. someone living in the east that has never seen a mule deer cant ever hunt one? how about sheep, or moose? im ok with sharing, but the numbers need to be kept reasonable. whats reasonable is debatable, but im against shutting others out.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
[B][U]10 quick Idea's of the top of my

I think the price of 3.65$ an application is high enough. Harvest reports are already in affect and most people lie about them to inflate draw numbers the next year.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
Point 6 is a good one.
Quote:
yup agreed, it was discussed on another thread....

It is Not a good idea!

This idea is Guaranteed to take away licences from residents.

Seems we need an example.

Allocation is 100 licences. NR capped to 10 licences.

In a separate NR Draw
- NR are guaranteed 10 licences
- Residents are limited to 90 licences

In a combined draw
- NR may draw from 0 to 10 licences
- residents may draw from 90 to 100 licences.

A separate NR draw is guaranteeing the loss of up to 10% of the tags for residents.

In my best Sheephunter typing....

Ugh.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

It is Not a good idea!

In a separate NR Draw

In a combined draw

A separate NR draw is guaranteeing the loss of up to 10% of the tags for residents.

Ugh.

apparently you missed my suggestion if it was more than a P5 for a resident, no NR's would get any tags???
Old 06-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Banned

Quote:

It is Not a good idea!

In a separate NR Draw

In a combined draw

Ugh.

this^^^^ and further...i think 5% would be more appropriate. 10% is actually a lot.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
As a suggestion, Even if Potty never asked for it.

For starters at least, instead of this becoming another debate thread, just post up your own ideas.
Quote:
Couldnt even wait one post to start waving your dick around?