Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-29-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
As for the outfitters doing well, I hazard a guess that they are well connected in the private land department, and they have intimate knowledge of their herds locations. If a buck is good its days are numbered.....

I had a undersubscribed Muley draw north of the Peace a few years back In 2017 and we saw very few mule deer. We ended up finding a 160’s class Muley in a farmers field with a few does, the only decent buck we found on that trip and one of only Muley 3-4 bucks we saw in total.

We met up with the farmer coming down the road on his tractor. I tried everything I could to convince him to let us on his property so I could shoot the buck. At first he seemed concerned with shooting in general since he said he had issues with hunters in the past. After a pretty lengthy discussion about everything from politics to predator management and all things in between, he finally admitted a local outfitter paid him for exclusive use of his property and that of most of his neighbours, which explained why we were having a difficult time getting permission to hunt on any private land.

And no, I didn’t report him. I know what was happening was illegal but it would have just turned into a real sh1t storm and if I could find that little tidbit of info out within half an hour of chatting with this farmer I’m pretty sure everyone that lived in the zone knew what was going on.
Old 05-29-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
[/B]

I had a undersubscribed Muley draw north of the Peace a few years back In 2017 and we saw very few mule deer. We ended up finding a 160’s class Muley in a farmers field with a few does, the only decent buck we found on that trip and one of only Muley 3-4 bucks we saw in total.

We met up with the farmer coming down the road on his tractor. I tried everything I could to convince him to let us on his property so I could shoot the buck. At first he seemed concerned with shooting in general since he said he had issues with hunters in the past. After a pretty lengthy discussion about everything from politics to predator management and all things in between, he finally admitted a local outfitter paid him for exclusive use of his property and that of most of his neighbours, which explained why we were having a difficult time getting permission to hunt on any private land.

And no, I didn’t report him. I know what was happening was illegal but it would have just turned into a real sh1t storm and if I could find that little tidbit of info out within half an hour of chatting with this farmer I’m pretty sure everyone that lived in the zone knew what was going on.
That would explain why we had a hell of a time getting permission to hunt back when I was doing it. It was overwhelmingly denied.

By the sounds of it, the GP deer populations are getting hammered both by hunters and the winters. I'm not a truck hunter and honestly don't really enjoy hunting fields. I'm thinking I'll be heading south and putting some miles on my boots to get out of the pressured areas.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Well, I got my B&C down in 356 actually. My best wall hanger ever. 183 3/8.
Yes it scored 180 3/8" B & C, but do you call a 100' a B&C buck? Your buck is a m mighty good buck, but it still doesn't make the book which is 190" min. Not a big deal, but just want to let people know what the minimum to get registered into the B & C book takes.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry D View Post
Yes it scored 180 3/8" B & C, but do you call a 100' a B&C buck? Your buck is a m mighty good buck, but it still doesn't make the book which is 190" min. Not a big deal, but just want to let people know what the minimum to get registered into the B & C book takes.
Well, with 180" being the "Awards" minimum, I'm not sure why it matters if he calls a 183 3/8" buck such, or why it really matters.

Last edited by Rackmastr; 05-29-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:06 PM

Just like you wouldn't call a 160 Whitetail Boone and Crockett most people consider a Boone and Crockett 170 no one I ever knew use the minimum score it was always the higher score

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Just like you wouldn't call a 160 Whitetail Boone and Crockett most people consider a Boone and Crockett 170 no one I ever knew use the minimum score it was always the higher score

Sad thing is a while back people on this site would just want to see pics of it, rather than point out and correct issues with wording lol. Oh how things change....
Old 05-29-2020, 06:45 PM

Well when you've guided hundreds of clients from all over the world and 90% of them want to know the score of their Boone and Crockett animal that's what we tell them

Old 05-29-2020, 06:46 PM

But yes it shouldn't be about the score trophy is in the eye of the beholder

Old 05-29-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Well when you've guided hundreds of clients from all over the world and 90% of them want to know the score of their Boone and Crockett animal that's what we tell them

Haha yep I get it. Internet world seems enjoyable to correct people more than anything. Guess that's no real surprise! Likely why I enjoy scrolling through IG and just looking at damn pics these days
Old 05-29-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Well, I got my B&C down in 356 actually. My best wall hanger ever. 183 3/8.
Got any pics! Love seeing some big muleys

Old 05-30-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
Got any pics! Love seeing some big muleys

Well, after finding out its not a B&C (which actually makes no difference to me at all, just what I was told)....there are a couple pics of the euro mount in my album, in public profile. Have a peek there if you like.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-30-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Well, after finding out its not a B&C (which actually makes no difference to me at all, just what I was told)....there are a couple pics of the euro mount in my album, in public profile. Have a peek there if you like.
I’d love to see a pic of it and the whole B&C thing doesn’t mean a whole lot to me either. But when I try to look at your album all I get is:

“Invalid Album specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator.”
Old 05-30-2020, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I’d love to see a pic of it and the whole B&C thing doesn’t mean a whole lot to me either. But when I try to look at your album all I get is:

“Invalid Album specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator.”
Huh. I seem to recall a while back making it a private album for friends or something....mostly because of everyone feeling the need to yank out their tape measures around here. A quick pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171030_131522.jpg (22.5 KB, 134 views)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 05-30-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:26 PM

Oscars Muley 2016.jpg

Put a tape to this one .
Old 05-30-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Attachment 164303

Put a tape to this one .
Or put a tape to the both of them?
Old 05-30-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Attachment 164303

Put a tape to this one .
I'm gonna need a bigger tape measure.....that's a serious creature!

That taken in the southern end of the province?

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 05-30-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:15 PM

That’s a great buck TC! Salavee has a great one two. Thanks for posting them up guys, much appreciated.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:19 PM

No photo shop going on there. Just saying.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:47 PM

Thumbs up Nice Buck

Wondering if he had extra legs too ........ great character Buck
Old 05-31-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Attachment 164303

Put a tape to this one .
And such an honest looking face...

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-31-2020, 07:42 PM

We hunted up there near the BC border in 2005 and 2006 and literally saw thousands of Mule deer. There was a special draw for 3 mulie does both those years and our party of 5 tapped out both times. Saw at least 50 moose both years in a week and numerous whitetails, elk were a bit more elusive, probably saw in the area of 200 each year.

Took a few years off, built back up our tag priorities and hunted up there in 2009 and nothing, all we found in a week of hunting hard were rib cages everywhere. Deer, moose and elk. They got 8' of snow two years in a row 2007-2008 and the wolves had a heyday.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I heard theres some real big ones in 522
Ive hunted 522 for 4 years and haven't seen one that was worth anything. Even had my mule deer tag a couple years ago, figured id try it out. tag soup. Found these sheds this year and that's the biggest deer Im aware of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sheds.jpg (27.7 KB, 73 views)
Old 07-14-2020, 10:38 AM

Default Mule Deer

Guys some interesting numbers on mule deer/whitetails from aerial game surveys in WMU 346 ( Edson). Possibly explains why its hard to find good muley bucks; Ratio of mule/white; 1970's M/W 3;1, 80's 2;3, 90's 1;1, 2000's 1;3, 2013 1;30 M/W.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:47 PM

A friend talked to the biologist for the Edson are about how many antler less tags were being made available in that area and how it negatively impacted the overall WT numbers

The Bio said that their position was that the Native deer for that area were Mule Deer so they were managing the area to favor their numbers over WT numbers.

I am sure they manage most zones with the same mind set even though today's habitat is not the habitat of 50 years ago.

7 years ago I was privy to a bit of predatory drama in an area I was frequenting
I spotted a half dozen does and fawns of both WT and MD persuasion feeding in the far way back side of a clear cut I decided to watch for a good bit being end of October just in case.
About an hour before dark a single wolf came out and ran at the deer they scattered the wolf then made a bee line for one of the mule deer fawns passing up 2 WT fawns and their mom that were closer.
His preference was a mistake as he had to pause to change direction.

Play song by Queen Another One Bites the Dust.