Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
As for the outfitters doing well, I hazard a guess that they are well connected in the private land department, and they have intimate knowledge of their herds locations. If a buck is good its days are numbered.....

I had a undersubscribed Muley draw north of the Peace a few years back In 2017 and we saw very few mule deer. We ended up finding a 160’s class Muley in a farmers field with a few does, the only decent buck we found on that trip and one of only Muley 3-4 bucks we saw in total.

We met up with the farmer coming down the road on his tractor. I tried everything I could to convince him to let us on his property so I could shoot the buck. At first he seemed concerned with shooting in general since he said he had issues with hunters in the past. After a pretty lengthy discussion about everything from politics to predator management and all things in between, he finally admitted a local outfitter paid him for exclusive use of his property and that of most of his neighbours, which explained why we were having a difficult time getting permission to hunt on any private land.

And no, I didn’t report him. I know what was happening was illegal but it would have just turned into a real sh1t storm and if I could find that little tidbit of info out within half an hour of chatting with this farmer I’m pretty sure everyone that lived in the zone knew what was going on.