Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 11:27 AM

Default Stream Crossing Waders

Good day everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions of what folks are using for crossing a stream about knee-deep with water around 2-10°C. We went down to 402 last year early in the season for day trips for mostly scouting missions and with the early September snowfall & melt the streams were fairly deep.

We figured there'd have to be something like a hip or thigh-high packable wader to quickly slip on/off over boots. With the potential for quite a few crossings, I want something that is easy on/off, but without having to walk around in the climbing temps of late Sept afternoons; or something that is comfortable without the usual fishing wader 'swish-swish' when walking.

I've looked at most of the major and minor equipment stores in Southern Alberta and Northern Montana and have not had much luck.

Entertaining all thoughts and suggestions.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:40 AM

Wiggy's waders work good for quick stream crossings while hunting.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:21 PM

Crocs on the feet and strip down to the skivvies (if necessary)or roll up the pants. That is how we do the deeper ones. waders= too much weight and time to mess around with. Easy on/off + waterproofing is a tall order
Old 05-27-2020, 12:36 PM

X2 on the wiggy's, quicker than taking your boots off and on if you have a lot of crossings and only 10 oz.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Crocs on the feet and strip down to the skivvies (if necessary)or roll up the pants. That is how we do the deeper ones. waders= too much weight and time to mess around with. Easy on/off + waterproofing is a tall order

Waders full of water, get swept off your feet and it could be curtains time very easily. I learned to carry an old pair of runner.

Grizz
Old 05-27-2020, 01:42 PM

Thanks for the replies.

wildwoods and Grizzly, that was the backup plan going in with a light pair of shoes and nothing else. 1-2 crossings? Sure, but that cold runoff really eats at you after that.

Rackmastr and coxy95, thanks for the suggestion. I looked them up & for under $100 as well, great suggestion!

Thanks, folks!
Old 05-27-2020, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Waders full of water, get swept off your feet and it could be curtains time very easily. I learned to carry an old pair of runner.

Grizz
That’s an old wives tale. If it were true, fly fishermen would be dying by the thousands. Waders full of water weigh the same as your legs when you’re in the water. Now, you gotta do some work to get the water out before you stand up. I may have some experience.... lol
Old 05-27-2020, 06:21 PM

Wiggys waders are the best solution in my experiences.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:26 PM

Crocks and Them pasty white legs. when the water is that cold pee before you go in... you’ll be ready for a victory pee once you hit the other side to.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post

X2 on this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk