Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 08:17 AM
Banned

Default Homestead public range - WOW

I know it's been said before. So having started my day early of report writing, invoicing, etc. I decided to shut the computer down around 2:00pm, grab my dog and go for a drive to the range, see for myself what this talk is all about. I can attest that this was my first visit and definitely my last. Given no other choices, I'd rather shoot at the Okotoks dump than at this dump. Shameful to see such lack of respect for the environment in such a potentially beautiful setting. The garbage lines the ditches along the access road. The view from the benches towards the berms is unbelievable. Quite surprised this place hasn't been shut down. So fortunate to have my own 100 yard range out of my back door and out beyond 1000 a mere 10 minutes away on my neighbor's land.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:24 AM

Have never been there but met a shooter from Airdrie at RRGC yesterday telling us about it. He couldn't stop praising Eugene about how fantastic the range is, he is even going to drive down next week to volunteer his time to help out with range improvements. I think our club could use a few more volunteers next week.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:36 AM

Default Dump

You should go on a weekend what a treat. People shooting in the ditches anywhere they can fit. Last time I was there 2 knot heads firing pistols into a rock pile from the road. The place is a joke. I've felt safer in combat. I wonder how people of this mentality ever got a PAL. I'm surprised no ones been shot out there.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb.homer View Post
You should go on a weekend what a treat. People shooting in the ditches anywhere they can fit. Last time I was there 2 knot heads firing pistols into a rock pile from the road. The place is a joke. I've felt safer in combat. I wonder how people of this mentality ever got a PAL. I'm surprised no ones been shot out there.
Actually, someone has been shot out there a few years ago. Some bozo shot himself in the leg with a rifle.... while on the shotgun range.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:55 PM

There has been so much posted about the conditions described above, for such a long time...that it is safe to assume the situation is condoned by both Range Operators and the CFO.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:52 PM
Banned

Range operators? there surely is no such thing there. Even if it wasn't a rifle range, it hurts my innards to see such disregards for our outdoors. I've travelled a few places in the world, Europe lived there for 10 years, central America, south Pacific, middle East, Yukon and Alaska. I can tell you that we are so fortunate to live in the most beautiful country in the world coast to coast. The lack of disrespect is truly shameful. It wouldn't bother me a microsecond if that dump faced closure. It truly is a black eye to the shooting community. All that a greeny tree hugger has to do for efforts to gather evidence to shut us down is take a trip out there with a camera. Jeez, having said that, I suppose that I could be labelled a greeny tree hugger...
Old 04-22-2015, 05:42 PM

I would rather see some heavy littering charges being laid, rather than closing it down. But that would entail someone would have to deal with the situation out there. Good way to raise some revenue surprised no one is out there making some cash for the Province. I do find it upsetting that I have to be associated with these pigs because they own guns.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:04 PM

if every member spent 5 minutes after shooting cleaning up

there would not be any problem

Food for Thought

David
Old 04-22-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cb.homer View Post
... Last time I was there 2 knot heads firing pistols into a rock pile from the road...

The public range does not allow people to bring restricted guns....
Old 04-22-2015, 07:26 PM

The Alberta Provincial Rifle Association website says they own and maintain the "public" range. I suppose if enough of their members were concerned, the situation would change. One would assume the APRA must feel some immunity in terms of liability?
Old 04-22-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
if every member spent 5 minutes after shooting cleaning up

there would not be any problem

Food for Thought

David

A nice thought, but it will never happen, because nobody will force people to clean up after themselves.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
The Alberta Provincial Rifle Association website says they own and maintain the "public" range. I suppose if enough of their members were concerned, the situation would change. One would assume the APRA must feel some immunity in terms of liability?
Washroom cleaning was some what of a lucrative business for me turns out you can charge a lot. All that toilet scrubbing paid for a lot of shooting met some nice folks along the way. Most would say the old boys club...

One range has to be there for the other there's a lot to it.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Every year members go out and clean that sty. Or should I say stys since the shottie range gets cleaned as well.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:51 PM

IMO, prevention has the best potential for any cure. A clean place encourages cleanliness. My bet would be that one person on site two hours a day during peak times would be more effective than 30 people sweating for ten hours on one day of the year. Maybe a few retired guys that wouldn't mind a couple of shifts a month. Give them a Club vest with "Enforcement" on the back ... explaining rules and monitoring self clean ups. No overnight miracles, but my bet it would be a different place in a year.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:16 PM

It's my only option and I go a few times a year.meverytime I collect garbage and clean up. Amazing how others watch and never pic up a thing..... Always amazed why people can't pick up after themselves, it is a shame. I go at first light to try and keep away from the crowds and idiots!
Old 04-22-2015, 09:35 PM

Was there this morning. Shot with a bunch of guys who cleaned up after themselves. Regular users generally do what they can to keep the place decent.
Unfortunetly, there are a bunch of hammerheads who think its OK to bring Junk onto the range just to blast away at monitors, boxes, cans. bottles etc. Of course they don't bother picking up and carrying the junk back out to the dumpster in the parking lot...oh wait...they Also Shoot at the dumpster.
Then you have the people who just stop anywhere along the road and blast at said junk anywhere...These people are scary.
Having said that, I shoot there weekly and enjoy myself, always time for some hiking and fishing while out there.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:44 PM

pistol on the road????? It is illegal. That road is outside of any range in that complex qualified for Restricted.

Last edited by kostianych; 04-22-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:47 PM

David

Quote:
IMO, prevention has the best potential for any cure. A clean place encourages cleanliness. My bet would be that one person on site two hours a day during peak times would be more effective than 30 people sweating for ten hours on one day of the year. Maybe a few retired guys that wouldn't mind a couple of shifts a month. Give them a Club vest with "Enforcement" on the back ... explaining rules and monitoring self clean ups. No overnight miracles, but my bet it would be a different place in a year.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
+3!! Well said.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:07 PM

Old 04-23-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Tried, they tell us to f off we have no authority. They even told the head SRD guy (who was in uniform) the same thing. Only one way this will be fixed and it will happen.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by precloading View Post
Tried, they tell us to f off we have no authority. They even told the head SRD guy (who was in uniform) the same thing. Only one way this will be fixed and it will happen.
And that is exactly why a public range like this one will never work out.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:38 AM

Why don't we try and get a bunch of members of AO to meet up there one sat or Sunday and spend 4-5 hrs cleaning it up. Make a tailgate bbq out of it.
So much complaining and no action taken.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:39 AM

Bring the kids too. It would be a good lesson for them to learn too.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Great idea. Others say this has been tried with poor results but true enforcement sounds like a necessity in this area.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:46 AM

Default Whoa!

Must be something in the water lately but it seems like every range thread turns into a battle (see the Milo range thread).

Before I became a member at a local range homestead was my only reasonable option and I am very glad that is is there. It can be daunting for a new guy (I only picked up the hobby later in the life and had no experience) and I had some great times out there.

My first time out there I met a great older english gentleman who helped me zero my scope and we talked for a good while about shooting, rifles, ballistics, etc. The place may be a dump but if you get out there early enough and it is quiet it can be quite nice. I always made sure to pick up a little bit more than what was brought with me.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:27 AM

This range has been in the same state for years now,
as far as cleaning
The members do a great job of site clean up...but with in 2 days of the clean up it looks just as bad...
Last year 2 40 yard bins were hauled out of that range and guess what with in a week it was back to same old place...
Simple pack out what you pack in.....
Old 04-23-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
Great idea. Others say this has been tried with poor results but true enforcement sounds like a necessity in this area.
It sounds like the reset button needs pushed which is never easy ... but can be done. I don't know the set up, but I would be starting with a nice solid pipe gate that needs to be opened and closed. And, a big sign with few words that makes it clear the site is privately owned and that compliance to Range Rules is mandatory. (Going through a gate can be a psychological assist to compliance). My next "under new management" would involve the Enforcement Officer carrying a clipboard (guys with clipboards have more authority). Enforcement Officers would have a one page copy of the Range Rules with room for a signature...the copy would be numbered and would have a matching card in a plastic cover with a string lanyard. Each person on the Firing Line would be required to sign the Range Rules to be kept by the Enforcement Officer...and would be given their own copy of the rules. Every person on the Firing Line would be required wear their card. Over a period of time, and with some persistence, things would change. Pretty good chance of the facility becoming, a cleaner, safer place.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:51 AM

I stopped going there a long time ago. A guy started shooting while people were still walking back from setting up their targets. The ensuing frackas was memorable.

Anyway, perhaps if the range wasn't free for the public to use, people would view it differently.
Give people something for free and they'll give it zero respect.
Charge a nominal fee and the attitude changes.
The fee could go to pay for range supervisors.
Start with weekends. Five bucks isn't a lot to pay.

This place has to change.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
The public range does not allow people to bring restricted guns....
Technically true, but since there's never anyone there to enforce any rules or laws, it's really a free-for-all.

Yes, the APRA "operates" the public range, but in a very hands-off fashion. My understanding is it really only exists because that was the deal with the gov't in exchange for them having a members-only range on public land.

I'd suggest maybe the RCMP should start hanging around, but someone on here said they claim it's the Parks dept's problem. So it basically seems like everyone is well aware of the problem, but they're all just going to pass the buck until there's a serious incident... then the solution will presumably be to just shut it down.

That being said, I've yet to see any real safety issues on the range itself in the 3 times I've been there. So if you can get past the garbage and the yahoos shooting off-site, it's usable.
Closed Thread