Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2017, 06:03 PM

The same thing can happen if you are planning to retire. One fellow [Canfor] had a significant amount of banked overtime and vacations coming to him, he filled out the forms for his time off and told them he was going to retire after all his paid time off was up. The company terminated his employment from the day his paid time off started and cut off his benefits.

They screwed him royally.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
The same thing can happen if you are planning to retire. One fellow [Canfor] had a significant amount of banked overtime and vacations coming to him, he filled out the forms for his time off and told them he was going to retire after all his paid time off was up. The company terminated his employment from the day his paid time off started and cut off his benefits.

That's greasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
That's greasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's reality.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:21 PM

You openly told your employer that your not coming back after your "leave", in other words "quit. But you expect to be covered by a program that is set up for people to spend the necessary time with their new family and RETURN to their position at their work. No one is screwing you, in my opinion your trying to take advantage of the system that many people depend on.

To the other people commenting about companies not showing appreciation.... it's called a paycheck. Once you are no longer working for or benefiting the company, all ties and obligations are cut. It's called a job, not a family.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:21 PM
Banned

It's a dog eat dog world.

Everyone is out for themselves. That is the cold hard truth. Be the guy that does the screwing, not the bending over.

You want loyalty , get a dog.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:09 PM

Elsewhere in the forum....

"Anyone else have employees who tried to screw them over?

Long story short, a employee went on paternity leave on the 25. Knowing that at the end of my leave, he/she would be returning to their current job, being a great company, and knowing that finding a replacement will take some time, we gave them extended benefits as we try to treat our employees well. I figured we would do this to let them know how much they are appreciated, and to help provide a bit of security for their growing family. They'd worked for this company 8 years now... Today, after 4 months off with paid benefits, I get an letter of resignation advising me that he/she isn't coming back to work.....

In short they screwed me for 16 weeks of paternity leave."

Old 01-16-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
It's a dog eat dog world.

Everyone is out for themselves. That is the cold hard truth. Be the guy that does the screwing, not the bending over.

You want loyalty , get a dog.
Sadly this is the reality. Companies get bent out of shape during the good times and cry about labour costs and then during the downtime do the same thing. The very nature of business is to do the best it can. It is s soulless, faceless machine capable of either making a person or destroying one. It's not personal, just it's nature. OP you were honest and made a mistake, the machine got you. Never put a face on a business. And drive them like you stole it. Use the company for what you need and take what it will give you. It's going to do the same to you always. Make sure though that you put an honest day in no doubt, do your job but don't think it's your friend. It ain't!
Old 01-16-2017, 08:32 PM

It's not entitled. He paid into it, so he should get it. Doesn't make any difference whether he goes to work at that job, or another when he is done. When he starts his new job he'll be paying into it again.

But he gave them a reason to disqualify him, so he was. Not sure if there is any recourse, but there may be. Talk to the labour board about it. Takes about 10 minutes to show up at an office and fill out a sheet or two. Maybe you'll get it, maybe you won't.

I went through a similar scenario, although mine was medical. I could have went back a bit sooner, but for what? One of my bosses was a great guy, but the guy just under him was trying to commit suicide via Tactical Lever.

I was receiving medical leave, and knew that I was planning on not coming back. I also knew, that if I had told them as much, there was a good chance that I would have been off benefits. So the day before I was to go back, I told them I wasn't. Had the other job lined up. I was sorry to my head boss that it had to be that way, but he understood. Even said: "You have to do what's right for you." I think I'll look him up and see if he's up for some brew.

They made out alright, no hard feelings (I don't think), and guys got a little more OT. I hope you guys don't think too much less of me, but sometimes you have to think of yourself first. When you get down to brass tacks, most of the time you're a number to the employer. Even if you are well liked, they have to follow labour code, and quite often there is someone above giving orders. Tomorrow they could say that whoever is in the top wage bracket of that position goes.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 01-16-2017, 09:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Not that complicated boys. Honesty is it's own reward. Take the win and know what a great guy you are.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-17-2017, 05:28 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Okay, I get it your not sugar coating it. There is a difference between that in being unduly harsh and/or rude.

OP had an oversight and made a mistake. It happens, you have made mistakes I'm sure. He likely is already none to pleased with himself over it already. No need to be rude.

*Edit*

With this attitude do you also use a swift backhand to keep "Your Woman" in line? Better not let her out of the kitchen either might get an idea that she can vote or something.... Welcome to the 1920's!

And then you throw it on the inter web for all to pick apart...what would you expect...the pendulum does swing...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-17-2017, 05:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

Long story short, a employee went on paternity leave on the 25. Knowing that at the end of my leave, he/she would be returning to their current job, being a great company, and knowing that finding a replacement will take some time, we gave them extended benefits as we try to treat our employees well. I figured we would do this to let them know how much they are appreciated, and to help provide a bit of security for their growing family. They'd worked for this company 8 years now... Today, after 4 months off with paid benefits, I get an letter of resignation advising me that he/she isn't coming back to work.....

You and people take this paternity leave or whatever and work another job say delivering pizza etc...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-17-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Well said...there are always two sides...it only has to happen once to change a company's policy, regardless of the best intentions of anyone following.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Great post.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtG View Post
Anyone else worked for a company who tried to screw them over?

Long story short I'm going on paternity leave on the 25. I also knew that at the end of my leave I will not be returning to my current job, so being a nice guy and knowing that finding a replacement will take some time. I figured I would let them know that I will not be coming back, so they can plan ahead. I worked for this company 8 years now. Today I get a end of employment letter stating I advised them my last day of work is Jan 25.....

In short they are trying to screw my for 16 weeks of paternity leave.
I have worked for a few so called company's that have screwed me over ... but I don't think I have ever been pregnant
Old 01-18-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post

That is very common, illegal, rarely reported and then not talked about when it is.

Had an uncle work for a company that made a practice of laying off before full retirement benefits could be had. Sure enough as he approached 25yr mark another round of layoffs started and at the same time as a new round of hiring. Lawsuits, complaints, reports to various government agencies, all a waste of time and money even for those few that "won".

Another case had a family member with a very good job in a "Canadian" company that got government money ore than once.The company started having money problems. The American investors (not so Canadian after all) demanded the stock be propped up so the team put together to save the company burned the retirement funds to defer the fall of the stock by a few days. Workers sued, media reported, other Canadians couldn't have cared less or were just glad it wasn't them.

Endless examples in large part because we do not care that much about others, are easily divided, quick to believe governments and businesses that tell us people are lazy, stupid, do not deserve compensation and certainly not money if they are not working 24hrs or more a day.

And we have a culture were we fear to speak up because as shown in this post to do so is to invite criticism, insults and abuse by all, even fellow workers and Canadians.

We can change it, maybe not with the old and well indoctrinated generation but the new "entitled" generation. A new generation that asks why their province and families are not doing better, a new generation that points out they live in a province with more valuable resource wealth per capita than any other and demand that it should show, here in their own country and province.

The millennials are now our best hope for a better future.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitumen Bullet View Post
That is very common, illegal, rarely reported and then not talked about when it is.

Had an uncle work for a company that made a practice of laying off before full retirement benefits could be had. Sure enough as he approached 25yr mark another round of layoffs started and at the same time as a new round of hiring. Lawsuits, complaints, reports to various government agencies, all a waste of time and money even for those few that "won".

Another case had a family member with a very good job in a "Canadian" company that got government money ore than once.The company started having money problems. The American investors (not so Canadian after all) demanded the stock be propped up so the team put together to save the company burned the retirement funds to defer the fall of the stock by a few days. Workers sued, media reported, other Canadians couldn't have cared less or were just glad it wasn't them.

Endless examples in large part because we do not care that much about others, are easily divided, quick to believe governments and businesses that tell us people are lazy, stupid, do not deserve compensation and certainly not money if they are not working 24hrs or more a day.

And we have a culture were we fear to speak up because as shown in this post to do so is to invite criticism, insults and abuse by all, even fellow workers and Canadians.

We can change it, maybe not with the old and well indoctrinated generation but the new "entitled" generation. A new generation that asks why their province and families are not doing better, a new generation that points out they live in a province with more valuable resource wealth per capita than any other and demand that it should show, here in their own country and province.

The millennials are now our best hope for a better future.
Why not name the companies in these instances above?
Old 01-18-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Because in todays day and age, some women demand it of their spouse to do so....
Are you serious?
Old 01-18-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Are you serious?
Remember where you are. I am rather surprised he didn't add at the end.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
Why not name the companies in these instances above?
Because I get kicked off sites for doing that, even linking to the news stories isn't a defense, and I suspect, since you asked know that.

So why would you ask? Perhaps you represent one of those companies? (one is really obvious as it got national coverage). Maybe work in HR?