Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2017, 09:51 AM
Banned

Default Trudeau becomes first ever PM subjected to conflict of interest investigation

Well that didn't take long. It will be very interesting to see if they find he violated the act and what the consequences will be. He is on video admitting he broke the law...so I am anxiously waiting to see how they get him out of this sticky wicket.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...f-ethics-probe
Quote:
The federal Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner has launched an investigation into the circumstances of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s New Year’s holiday in the Bahamas, the National Post has learned, the first time a sitting prime minister has come under scrutiny by the independent parliamentary watchdog.

The commissioner, Mary Dawson, is considering two potential violations of the Conflict of Interest Act, according to a letter she sent to one of the two Conservative MPs who filed separate formal complaints, about Trudeau’s holiday at the Bahamas Island owned by the billionaire philanthropist and spiritual leader the Aga Khan.

A copy of that letter was provided to the Post and in it, Dawson said she believes that, based on reports she has read in the National Post, there are grounds to investigate Trudeau for, first, a potential conflict of interest in receiving a free vacation from the Aga Khan, the founder and a director of an organization that is a federally registered lobbyist and, second, for potentially violating a section of the Act which prohibits all ministers from using private aircraft.

The maximum sanction that Dawson may levy for a violation of the Act is $500 per violation — a relatively paltry sum for a prime minister who earns more than $350,000 a year and gets a free home.

But while Trudeau might easily pay any fine, the political penalty may be more expensive. The opposition is almost certain to have a field day if Trudeau becomes the first prime minister in Canada’s history to violate a federal statute — a statute on ethics and conflict of interest, no less — while in office.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:14 AM

Are there actual consequences to being found guilty?
I feel like he'll just shrug and roll his eyes and it will be business as usual
Old 01-16-2017, 10:19 AM

$500 fine. What a joke. Almost a bigger fine for littering.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:24 AM
Banned

Default guilty

We can only hope they include the family and staff that were also using the unauthorized transportation for the incident count.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:24 AM

I wonder if this will get as much attention as the Duffy trial from the CBC.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
$500 fine. What a joke. Almost a bigger fine for littering.
In theory, he has already been heavily fined, and just as well! This whole story has ended what little was left of his honeymoon with the left-leaning in this country, and he has lost a lot of credibility with everyone.

If you don't believe me, just what for the next approval poles to come out. This is going to cost him (politically), Big Time!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:45 AM

Do you think the people who voted him in last time will remember this by the time the next election rolls around?
Old 01-16-2017, 10:47 AM

If the actual consequence of accepting a multi thousand dollar vacation is a $500 fine, our country is all ready corrupted beyond repair.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:53 AM
Banned

Default Should he resign due to ethics

Maybe it's a criminal act? Yeah let's hope the report is transparent. Family members including the in laws!!! Let's see if he brought the tribe along.

Now what will 22 minutes and the National have to say in the next 48 hours.

If he resigns maybe that young lady he appointed as minister will lead. I think she wants his job.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
We can only hope they include the family and staff that were also using the unauthorized transportation for the incident count.
Family aren't government employees, don't make government decisions.

The penalty monetarily is probably quite small. The penalty electorally may, hopefully, be much larger.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:54 AM
Banned

He didn't know any better, he is after all, just a dope smokin drama teacher!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:07 AM

CBC and Global are reporting that it's not even a $500 fine in this type of instance, but rather a written notice of violation (read: nothing more than a slap on the wrist)

My guess is that it will come down to whether or not he went through the conflict of interest declaration/mitigation vetting process prior to accepting the holiday invitation. If he didn't, then he should be determined culpable - given the amount of money that flows back and forth from our government and the Aga Kahn's foundation...
Old 01-16-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Can you imagine!

"my client can not be held liable for his actions, as he was inebriated at the time'

No wonder he is pushing for legalizing drugs!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
Maybe it's a criminal act? Yeah let's hope the report is transparent. Family members including the in laws!!! Let's see if he brought the tribe along.

Now what will 22 minutes and the National have to say in the next 48 hours.

If he resigns maybe that young lady he appointed as minister will lead. I think she wants his job.

I would like to see him as the subject of a 48 hours episode

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:57 AM

Who cares he went to a friends place for a holiday . thats the only way to get there. would we still be wining if he picked him up at the airport in his car and drove him to his home. this sounds like a conservative without friends rant.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:58 AM
Banned

I can't believe how many fools voted for a kid to run our country!

What did ya think was going to happen ffs!!!
Old 01-16-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
Who cares he went to a friends place for a holiday . thats the only way to get there. would we still be wining if he picked him up at the airport in his car and drove him to his home. this sounds like a conservative without friends rant.
Ha ha ha!!
Old 01-16-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Maybe you should look up what "conflict of interest" means?
Old 01-16-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I can't believe how many fools voted for a kid to run our country!

What did ya think was going to happen ffs!!!

he's not running the country, he's the tool the lieberal party used to get back into power. elections are show business, and the lying libs needed someone they could sell to the electorate.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Do you think the people who voted him in last time will remember this by the time the next election rolls around?
No. Most of them will be oblivious of the fact that this even happened. However, if it happens to pop up in their facebook feed in the next couple days and they become aware a) they won't understand what it's even about b) if the odd one does comprehend, they will have long since forgotten by the next election
Old 01-16-2017, 02:34 PM

Oh I am sure Karlheinz was hiding behind a palm tree with a suit case of cash for the fine.Trust me I never liked one yet and this kid has over qualified him self for the job,like so many others.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
No, it sounds more like a bunch of Tax paying citizens sick and tired of self-centred, egotistic drama queens blatantly wasting tax money for self indulgence with no thought or care for the people who keep getting gouged deeper and deeper with the endless tax grabs.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Why is it always about Conservatives with your type? Even the NDP is demanding the ethics watchdog investigate.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:06 PM

Error 404: Ethics not found.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:41 PM
Banned

Default You are joking right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I wonder if this will get as much attention as the Duffy trial from the CBC.
The witch hunt that was the Duffy trial was a farce.Mac Harb stole more money than all 3 Conservative senators combined and there was no investigation to how he miraculously paid back just shy of $500,000 in one transaction before he got swept under the rug to retire with a fat pension.

Trudeau if found to be guilty will pay a pittance of a fine but wont be impeached or made to resign.About the only people in the media who will scrutinize this are Rex Murphy and Rebel Media.

As for people forgetting this come the next election well 40% of Canadian voters somehow forgot about the Sponsorship Scandal last election.

What disgusts me the most is the Liberal attitude of entitlement.Trudeau can say with a straight face and even feel no guilt that he accepted (happily) a luxury 10 star tropical vacation on a private island including a helicopter taxi ride.For him to travel across Canada to "engage" with Canadians to say he is not "entitled" is just as disgusting as when David Dingwall said to a Commons investigation about his expences "I am entitled to my entitlements".
Old 01-16-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
The witch hunt that was the Duffy trial was a farce.Mac Harb stole more money than all 3 Conservative senators combined and there was no investigation to how he miraculously paid back just shy of $500,000 in one transaction before he got swept under the rug to retire with a fat pension.

Trudeau if found to be guilty will pay a pittance of a fine but wont be impeached or made to resign.About the only people in the media who will scrutinize this are Rex Murphy and Rebel Media.

As for people forgetting this come the next election well 40% of Canadian voters somehow forgot about the Sponsorship Scandal last election.

What disgusts me the most is the Liberal attitude of entitlement.Trudeau can say with a straight face and even feel no guilt that he accepted (happily) a luxury 10 star tropical vacation on a private island including a helicopter taxi ride.For him to travel across Canada to "engage" with Canadians to say he is not "entitled" is just as disgusting as when David Dingwall said to a Commons investigation about his expences "I am entitled to my entitlements".
I agree, and yes joking.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Affluenza, the Ethan Couch defence. To rich and spoiled to know any better so can't be held responsible for his own actions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5IVfXemF2ws
Old 01-16-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Either you're trying to get a reaction, or you've been run over by your own snowmobile once too often.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
So you have no problem that he gives away millions and millions of OUR money, not his, for his own personal gain?

I'm not convinced you know all the details of this story & if you got it from CBC you should know CBC is fake news
Old 01-16-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
We will keep it front and centre. Just like the HDS crowd and their hysterics.