Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-05-2017, 01:05 PM

Talking Fly Fishing Vest (Economy)

Hi everyone!

I'm a 1 year old fly fishing newbie, I would like your opinion on what brands of vest i should be looking that are good quality and wont cost me $200,

I would like one that is mesh and has a backpack... does anyone have something similar, what brands would be worth looking into and especially where to buy it? any really good online stores? Bass Pro/Wholesale/Cabelas?

I have the fishing itch early this year and I cant wait to go out there!
Old 01-05-2017, 01:20 PM

You certainly write well for a 1 year old.
Check out Fishpond vests, very well mad and lots under $200.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-05-2017, 02:16 PM

for what my opinion's worth, I had a vest but switched to a chest pack, and then to a bigger backpack once I started carrying a few more dozen flies. I find the vest more cumbersome than a pack somehow

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 01-05-2017, 02:27 PM

Check out the patagonia sweet pack it's what your looking for and you might find it on a discount somewhere.check out fly fish Calgary or I think it's called fly fusion forum now lots of good quality stuff goes for cheap there or put up a wanted to buy ad
Old 01-05-2017, 08:53 PM

I have the Patagonia hybrid vest , I really like it for all aspects of my fly fishing, big enough for a bladder on the back , and small enough so that you only take the essentials rather than the whole army .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2017, 10:56 AM

Thanks everyone for the help, i will have to go see all of these. Anyone heard of Maxcatch? any good?

Which stores (near Calgary) have Patagonia?
Old 01-06-2017, 11:03 AM

Default road 2210

also... what are your guys' thoughts on the inflatable pfd? can wear it over/under my jacket/ vest? I want to do some winter fly fishing or when I'm wading... thoughts?
Old 01-06-2017, 11:33 AM

Maxcatch stuff comes out of China. Lots of stuff for sale on Ebay. I would imagine the quality would not be great, but the price would be lower. You get what you pay for with most things
Old 01-06-2017, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
You certainly write well for a 1 year old.
Check out Fishpond vests, very well mad and lots under $200.
Hahaha!

Depending on what size guy you are (large/ skinny/ in between) just get something thats comfy on you and seems like it'll hold up. I personally wear a bag more often then a vest since my style is usually day trips but at times a vest is much easier.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:45 AM

Smile

i will have to try some on. I would like to start hiking so I think a back pack one would be great. Patagonia has one that I think would be amazing, the "convertable vest" that I can add a back pack. has anyone seen any one of those?

also, I cant figure out how to look at the buy/sell of the flyfishing forums (fly fusion forum) any advice?
Old 01-08-2017, 06:36 AM

I think fishing hole has some William Joseph generation 1 exodus packs on clearance. Mesh vest with a huge pack that has an external weight bearing frame. Its was origanlly well over 200$ and has a lifetime warranty. I have had mine for 5+ years now
Old 01-08-2017, 07:43 AM

I have had the mate of this one for so long I cant remember when or where I bought it. It has the emergency inflation gizmo but I have never actually tried it. I can carry everything I need in it and it has seen some very hard miles with little sign of wear.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-08-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mihai.bunda View Post
i will have to try some on. I would like to start hiking so I think a back pack one would be great. Patagonia has one that I think would be amazing, the "convertable vest" that I can add a back pack. has anyone seen any one of those?

also, I cant figure out how to look at the buy/sell of the flyfishing forums (fly fusion forum) any advice?
http://flyfusionforums.com/board/

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 01-08-2017, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
for what my opinion's worth, I had a vest but switched to a chest pack, and then to a bigger backpack once I started carrying a few more dozen flies. I find the vest more cumbersome than a pack somehow
Hahaha, yer a gear junkie too, ya you need a reel big pack once you start gettin into pike!
Old 01-09-2017, 09:27 AM

I have an old ski patrol vest similar to what MK2750 posted - I'd sell it for probably $40. Edmonton.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:53 AM

I have a maxcatch vest with the backpack from amazon for $100. I would say it is actually fairly decent quality. Reviews on amazon are very good considering the price, the only annoyance I've found with it is one of the shoulder straps working its way loose as you walk. I threw a little piece of tape over it and it holds fine now. I am about 5'10" 185 and I have it cinched down all the way but I don't like it flopping around.

I also have a simmons hip belt. Depending on the length of the trip I swap between the two. I wanted to try a vest and am just getting in to fly fishing so couldn't justify $300 on a high end vest. I think the maxcatch is a good start if you are just getting going.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:10 PM

Default This video has a cheap vest.

In the description of this video are links to a bunch of cheap gear including an $80 vest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgxM1FgLVbQ
Old 01-09-2017, 03:25 PM
Banned

I saw a few on Calgary kijiji a while ago...
Old 01-09-2017, 03:39 PM

I use an 18yo simms vest then wear a proper back pack. Just a better set up than the vest/pack imo. That way I can throw extras in for a day trip, stuff the vest in the bag for hike ins/outs, or use a bigger bag and stuff waders etc. Makes it nice to still have my go to vest for every form of fishing and not have to transfer stuff, use fanny packs and so on.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:47 PM

Have a look at this one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exodus_01.jpg (34.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 01-10-2017, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoderre View Post
In the description of this video are links to a bunch of cheap gear including an $80 vest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgxM1FgLVbQ
Wow! such a great video that's and I'm definitely taking that into consideration! thank you.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2017, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemeoutside View Post
I have a maxcatch vest with the backpack from amazon for $100. I would say it is actually fairly decent quality. Reviews on amazon are very good considering the price, the only annoyance I've found with it is one of the shoulder straps working its way loose as you walk. I threw a little piece of tape over it and it holds fine now. I am about 5'10" 185 and I have it cinched down all the way but I don't like it flopping around.

I also have a simmons hip belt. Depending on the length of the trip I swap between the two. I wanted to try a vest and am just getting in to fly fishing so couldn't justify $300 on a high end vest. I think the maxcatch is a good start if you are just getting going.
I'm glad to hear a good review on the maxcatch, it looks like it's would be good for someone starting our like myself.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
Have a look at this one
this one looks really nice, but really expensive haha
Old 01-11-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
this one looks really nice, but really expensive haha
120$ fishing hole online
Old 01-11-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
120$ fishing hole online
Oooooo...I didn't check there. Thanks!

Old 01-12-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
120$ fishing hole online
can you send me the link, I cant seem to find it
Old 01-13-2017, 09:00 AM

Thumbs up fly vest

Go check out on wish.com They have one on there for $54. It is almost identical to the fishpond gore range vest for $180. (just a slightly different color) I love mine. It carries every thing I need.

https://www.wish.com/c/55d6ba884ec24615fbc833ba

Last edited by boogaloo; 01-13-2017 at 09:06 AM. Reason: added link
Old 01-13-2017, 09:22 AM

I totally forgot the other huge (potential) headache and my biggest gripe with the maxcatch vest. The side mesh 'drink' pockets are pretty tight. If you are trying to get a beer can in there, you need a slim can. Coors Banquet works, which isn't so bad. Also tough to fit hard water bottles in there.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
can you send me the link, I cant seem to find it
://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?action=product&kw=/WILLIAM-JOSEPH/EXODUS-PACK/&se=27569
Old 01-16-2017, 11:54 AM

I give my thumbs up to the Maxcatch vest... I have two and regardless of the "made in China" bias, it's a good buy for the money and quite well made. I have:
http://www.maxcatchfishing.com/index...product_id=102

A warning about this vest, though. The "back pack" is small. There is enough room to hold a light jacket, a bottle of water, a lunch and other small items. If you're looking for something for full day trips, get the bigger pack.

Given that the William Joseph pack is on sale, I might go for that. You can try before you buy, it will be easier to return, and you don't have to wait for 2-6 weeks (sometimes up to 3 months) for it to get here! Plus when ordering the Maxcatch vests you will have to pay duty. Probably only $10. In the end you are paying almost the same money. Every now and then you can find

Given all that, either vest is good. And I am willing to bet that both vests are made in China. Most things are made in China. Even the stuff labeled "MADE IN THE USA". Read up on American labeling laws. It's a huge scam.

https://www.aliexpress.com/af/maxcat...&isAfChannel=y

It's safe.

oh. one last word about the maxcatch vest. It has room for BUT DOES NOT INCLUDE and zingers or retractors. Those suckers are surprisingly expensive so if the William Joseph comes loaded, go for it.

Tags
backpack, cheap, fly, quality, vest