Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-09-2017, 03:40 PM

Default New Rem 700 Magpul?

Does anybody have any information on these new model 700's for 2017? 22 inch barrel, factory cerakote and 5R rifling sounds like a recipe for a great gun. Debating between one vs a T3x CTR.

Any idea when these will actually be available to get hands on? They've been on the Remington website for a while now..

Old 01-10-2017, 12:34 AM

Check out what Cadex Defence is putting out in 2017, something of similar configuration. Check the 2017 catalog.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:02 AM
Banned

The specs sound good, but will it end up like the rest of the 700 series lately with poor QC and craftsmanship ?

The stock has been available for at least a year now, and you could cerakote your own action (or have it done)... To bad it's RH only, no lefties.

I see they only offer 2 caliber choices, I'd take the .260 over the .308 I think...

* you need to buy the optional "Magpul Bolt Action Magazine Well" to be able to run magazines like shown.

Black, FDE, ODG, & Stealth Gray - $340cdn

Last edited by J0HN_R1; 01-10-2017 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
The specs sound good, but will it end up like the rest of the 700 series lately with poor QC and craftsmanship ?

The stock has been available for at least a year now, and you could cerakote your own action (or have it done)... To bad it's RH only, no lefties.

I see they only offer 2 caliber choices, I'd take the .260 over the .308 I think...

* you need to buy the optional "Magpul Bolt Action Magazine Well" to be able to run magazines like shown.

Black, FDE, ODG, & Stealth Gray - $340cdn

Hopefully the build quality is half decent, because I completely agree with what you're saying. Either way, 22 inch factory barrel 5R rifled, threaded, the stock with mag. Conversion from the factory + cerakote. For $1000 or so it will be a steal.

I wouldn't be surprised if more calibers get announced at shot show, the two you listed are just what is announced on the website ATM.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:23 AM
Banned

I can't speak of current quality against the older rifles quality but so far I have had zero issues. There are two things I don't like about the three Remington 700's that are currently in the family. On the two that I have measured there is a really long jump to the lands, 1/4" or more. I have still managed to find some good loads to build up for those two rifles. The other is unmeasured, and is also unfired up to this point.

The other thing I don't like is the QR code in the side of the receiver. I have nothing to lead me to believe that these rifles will not stand the test of time as long as I don y part and don't load stupid hot loads (which I don't need to based on my accuracy), and maintain proper cleaning and storage practices.

That Magpul rifle straight from the factory does sound pretty decent. As long as it's a true Magpul stock, not like the Hogue stocks that come with the 700's. They are built by Hogue but to Remington's spec so buying an aftermarket Hogue stock really is an upgrade.

This one has my attention as well although I'm betting that the price tag will be closer to $1400-1500 based on the Remington Website price and current Canadian pricing.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:32 AM

I have a CTR and the only downside to it is the price of spare magazines. no need for aftermarket triggers, stocks, or anything else. it is quite accurate with factory ammo, and stupid accurate with handloads. some people say the stock is quite flexible, but the results on the range don't support their opinion.
have you checked out the new Sako roughtech pro models? these new rifles have an aluminum bedding block and are supposedly priced reasonably affordable. if they aren't too pricey I will be putting a roughtech range in my vault.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I can't speak of current quality against the older rifles quality but so far I have had zero issues. There are two things I don't like about the three Remington 700's that are currently in the family. On the two that I have measured there is a really long jump to the lands, 1/4" or more. I have still managed to find some good loads to build up for those two rifles. The other is unmeasured, and is also unfired up to this point.

The other thing I don't like is the QR code in the side of the receiver. I have nothing to lead me to believe that these rifles will not stand the test of time as long as I don y part and don't load stupid hot loads (which I don't need to based on my accuracy), and maintain proper cleaning and storage practices.

That Magpul rifle straight from the factory does sound pretty decent. As long as it's a true Magpul stock, not like the Hogue stocks that come with the 700's. They are built by Hogue but to Remington's spec so buying an aftermarket Hogue stock really is an upgrade.

This one has my attention as well although I'm betting that the price tag will be closer to $1400-1500 based on the Remington Website price and current Canadian pricing.
Some good points, I'm definitley looking forward to getting my hands on one and seeing some range reports.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
I have a CTR and the only downside to it is the price of spare magazines. no need for aftermarket triggers, stocks, or anything else. it is quite accurate with factory ammo, and stupid accurate with handloads. some people say the stock is quite flexible, but the results on the range don't support their opinion.
have you checked out the new Sako roughtech pro models? these new rifles have an aluminum bedding block and are supposedly priced reasonably affordable. if they aren't too pricey I will be putting a roughtech range in my vault.
I actually turned down a CTR in 6.5CM so I could wait and check out one of these. Almost certain I'll end up with the Tikka anyway, but I like to cover my bases!
Old 01-10-2017, 10:05 AM
Banned

do you like the looks of that?
Old 01-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSpeed View Post

For $1000 or so it will be a steal.
The retail is "starting at" $1,175 US... Just using the exchange rate, that's $1,555 Cdn.

Bank on a minimum of $1,600, to buy it north of the 49th parallel.

So based on that (I can build a custom rig with a DBM for not much more than $1600), and they don't come in left-hand... I'm out.

Old 01-10-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
The retail is "starting at" $1,175 US... Just using the exchange rate, that's $1,555 Cdn.

Bank on a minimum of $1,600, to buy it north of the 49th parallel.

So based on that (I can build a custom rig with a DBM for not much more than $1600), and they don't come in left-hand... I'm out.

$1175usd is the MSRP, not starting price. In my experience the actual retail price in Canada will be only slightly more than that at most gun shops, but in Canadian funds.

My LGS sells the SPS Varmint for $805CAD where it is listed by Remington as $760USD MSRP....for example.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSpeed View Post

$1175usd is the MSRP, not starting price...
This is a screen-shot of the Remington website. I blew-up the area indicating price, highlighted with a yellow & blue box to make it easier for you find.

Can you tell me what it says in the highlighted box please ?

* And your pricing theory has one flaw... That mentality only pertains to commonly available firearms, not "brand new to the market" guns. Anything that has just came on line, like say when the ACR first became available in Canada, has been priced 10-20% higher than just the strait currency conversion.

IE; initially the $2000usd ACR couldn't be had for less than $3000 up here, some were asking $3200 and getting it. And the exchange rate then (2012-2013) was better than now, like $0.95 on the US dollar.

Last edited by J0HN_R1; 01-10-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:04 PM
Banned

You are both right. It says Starting price MSRP. No sense in arguing about something so plain to see.

The Remington V3 was announced a year ago, I got mine in August and they had just arrived.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:18 PM
Banned

I just checked the Remington website to see what they had the V3's MSRP listed at and it's $895. I paid $850 for it, on sale but it was only $100 off. You really never do know the pricing until they're here.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:36 PM

If you pay MSRP for anything you've paid too much. New or not
Old 01-10-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
This is a screen-shot of the Remington website. I blew-up the area indicating price, highlighted with a yellow & blue box to make it easier for you find.

Can you tell me what it says in the highlighted box please ?

* And your pricing theory has one flaw... That mentality only pertains to commonly available firearms, not "brand new to the market" guns. Anything that has just came on line, like say when the ACR first became available in Canada, has been priced 10-20% higher than just the strait currency conversion.

IE; initially the $2000usd ACR couldn't be had for less than $3000 up here, some were asking $3200 and getting it. And the exchange rate then (2012-2013) was better than now, like $0.95 on the US dollar.

Thank you for highlighting it. Much appreciated. It says MSRP. Thanks for playing along
Old 01-11-2017, 06:32 AM

Interesting looking rifle, but if accuracy is the end goal, it is simply very hard to beat the Tikka HBs. Good luck in your quest.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk