Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-06-2017, 11:21 AM

Default New High end Spotting Scope

Looking for first hand insight into a replacement high power, high end spotting scope.

I had almost my entire reloading and outdoors related inventory stolen from me on Christmas... It was all in my cargo trailer in a locked storage bay in Red Deer. Please keep your eyes out for large volumes of premium quality bullets, brass, Sinclair brand tools, nightforce rifle scopes and other outdoor and camping gear out there for me! So needless to say, I have a number of items to replace and the spotter is one of the big ticket items. What I am replacing is a Leupold Mk 4 20-60-80mm spotter with a TMR reticle in it. I run the reticle to allow for follow up shots and to measure group sizes at long range. I use it at the range and for hunting and have a phone scope set-up for it as well.

I am likely to replace with the same scope, but I know that recently I looked through the new Nightforce scope and loved it in a side by side comparison. Then obviously there is the Swarovski, Zeiss & Leica options, but with no reticles.

If you were me, would you deviate from replacing the same scope? If so, I'd love to hear why.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:15 PM

Swaro now has a model with a retical, I havent had a chance to look through one, but I would assume the optics are pretty good, but you would be looking at $4k.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:04 AM

Sorry to hear about losing your stuff. I've had a truck stolen and can feel your pain.

Don't rule out the Meopta Meostar S2 82. After all they are the ones that make NF's spotter. There's only cosmetics and some extra lense coatings on the NF from the Meostar. I have a Meostar and did side by side testing with it and the NF. Both were brand new right out of the box. We looked at a variety of things all that way out to a mile and they both had slight advantages/disadvantages at different magnifications during the testing. I love my NF scopes but the Meostar was a easy choice over the NF because of the price difference.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:47 AM

Or cabbalas euro instinct, they are meopta rebranded cabelas euro series, excellent value.
FYI there is one in the bargain cave as of 3 days ago, its a floor model from my understanding
For some reason and don't quote me on this I think cabelas has stop bringing Euro series in.
Check it out.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn1911 View Post
Or cabbalas euro instinct, they are meopta rebranded cabelas euro series, excellent value.
FYI there is one in the bargain cave as of 3 days ago, its a floor model from my understanding
For some reason and don't quote me on this I think cabelas has stop bringing Euro series in.
Check it out.
Cabelas is using Vortex for their optics now.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:14 PM

Default Swaro str 80moa reticle

Really intrigued by this spotter. Anyone ever looked through or owned one? Electronic reticle is a great idea!