Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-23-2016, 04:03 AM

Default Thru hull Transducer question

Does anyone run the thru hull transducer. My original one that came with the finder got ripped off the back of the boat. I am unsure how they work or do I go back to the original transducer that came with my hummingbird
Old 12-23-2016, 07:55 AM

I personally would replace it with the original or manufacturer transducer. Seal it with a good marine adhesive or sealant and you should be good to go.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:37 AM

I have wondered about going to a thru-hull unit. They are available from Humminbird but will only work with fiberglass boats. That lets me out.

A person could cut and weld a place to mount a transducer thru the hull but I am not sure how well that would work or what it would look like. If I were going to do it, I would mount it close to the depth finder so the GPS would work with the Autochart when I buy the setup.

I would probably put more thought into it if and when I ripped mine off.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:17 AM

You can get ones for aluminum boats. But you have to cut a hole in the boat and it screws in like a bulkhead fitting. Not sure if I would trust that lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2016, 09:15 AM

In my experience, a properly mounted transom transducer is the better option. The transom mount transducers are MUCH easier to mount/adjust, have better signal quality than the shoot throughs, and they give accurate temp readings.

The potential advantages of the through hull are better high speed readings and less likelihood of damage due to impacts.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:48 AM

I have epoxied a transducer inside the boat to the bottom of the hull in the last 3 alluminum boats that I've had. You don't need a special transducer. It works just fine just no temp reading.

I have one in my Explorer Jet that is shooting through 1/4" alluminum without any problems. Just make sure it is in a location where clean water flows over it. If there are excessive bubbles it will not work at speed.

A transducer mounted on the back of a jet boat wouldn't last long. I'd be taking one off mine every trip out.