Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-22-2016, 11:52 AM

Default Prussian carp in december

is anyone still catching them in open water or through the ice anywhere?

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 12-22-2016, 11:59 AM

I saw schools of them in Blood Indian yesterday. Tons of them. Probably too small to catch through angling methods, but I have heard of people catching sizeable ones from time to time.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:25 PM
Gone Hunting

Can they be netted or trapped?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-22-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Can they be netted or trapped?
I suppose so. They're right under the ice in very shallow water.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:49 PM

Lots being caught out there. Many Eastern Europeans and Asians love to eat these fish and go after them. I have not caught any myself as I am not interested but have sent many to a few spots I know have them and they have been successful in amount and some decent size.
It is going to be interesting in the next few years since these things are showing up all over and are breeding like crazy. The are either going to choke off the other fish food supplies or the pike and walleye are going to become huge in these places from gorging on them.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Lots being caught out there. Many Eastern Europeans and Asians love to eat these fish and go after them. I have not caught any myself as I am not interested but have sent many to a few spots I know have them and they have been successful in amount and some decent size.
It is going to be interesting in the next few years since these things are showing up all over and are breeding like crazy. The are either going to choke off the other fish food supplies or the pike and walleye are going to become huge in these places from gorging on them.
I would love to try catch them from ice, as well as take 'em home and try to taste it. I am from Ukraine, back home this is pretty common table fish, and a lot of anglers going after them. They are quite tasty, just a lil bony. I never had caught/ate Canadian Prussian Carp though, so maybe they have different taste, but I'd like to figure out. And if I like 'em, i'll reduce their population a little bit, LOL.

So where do you guys have them? From message above I understood, they are in Blood Indian Creek Reservoir? Is there any other waters, maybe closer to Edmonton(cuz I live here)?

Would appreciate if you send me to a hot spot for them. Thanks

P.S. Use PM if needed

https://bit.ly/2RNVTKm
Old 12-22-2016, 02:29 PM

The fishin hole sells size 22 mustad dry fly hooks in the tying section. I've tied micro wireworms out of them and used them for shiners in wabamun (for passing time in between tip up flags) and tip it with a tiny piece of bait. I would bet using this method for Prussian carp and some corn fragments would be sufficient to enticing them. It sure did well on the shiners.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:38 PM

I am from Calgary and and not familiar where to go around Edmonton. Saying that I have heard many getting caught in the Red Deer river which is a little closer. There are a lot in the Red Deer river and pretty much all the feeders from what I understand. Follow the water.
We have the same down south where it appears they have moved along the water systems and if they are in one just follow along and they are all over the system wherever that water goes throughout the reservoirs and Bow River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler View Post
I would love to try catch them from ice, as well as take 'em home and try to taste it. I am from Ukraine, back home this is pretty common table fish, and a lot of anglers going after them. They are quite tasty, just a lil bony. I never had caught/ate Canadian Prussian Carp though, so maybe they have different taste, but I'd like to figure out. And if I like 'em, i'll reduce their population a little bit, LOL.

So where do you guys have them? From message above I understood, they are in Blood Indian Creek Reservoir? Is there any other waters, maybe closer to Edmonton(cuz I live here)?

Would appreciate if you send me to a hot spot for them. Thanks

P.S. Use PM if needed
Old 12-22-2016, 02:40 PM

I would like to use dynamite on them
Old 12-22-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
I am from Calgary and and not familiar where to go around Edmonton. Saying that I have heard many getting caught in the Red Deer river which is a little closer. There are a lot in the Red Deer river and pretty much all the feeders from what I understand. Follow the water.
We have the same down south where it appears they have moved along the water systems and if they are in one just follow along and they are all over the system wherever that water goes throughout the reservoirs and Bow River.
I just thought, that you could give me more details on where to go, some perticular spot, so I can put it in my GPS and hit the road, so when I come, I know they are there. I am willing to drive to Calgary area, but I don't realy want to spend time exploring.

Thank you!

https://bit.ly/2RNVTKm