Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-20-2016, 11:16 AM

Default Stoeger Outback O/U 20 Gauge - Thoughts?

Have my eye on this gun, with a 20 inch barrell.
Looking at getting a lighter more compact shot gun for long walks in the bush chasing Ruffies.

Its $699 at Bass Pro, anyone have any thoughts or opinions on this gun?
Do you like O/U or SXS?

How do you like a 20 Gauge compared to a .410 for Grouse hunting.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 12-20-2016, 11:29 AM

Personally, I don't like sights on a shotgun, they get in the way for wing shooting. If you are going to ground swat grouse, it won't be an issue, but in that case, I would just purchase an even lighter and cheaper single shot shotgun instead. If you want to wing shoot grouse, I would look at a shotgun with a longer barrel/barrels, and no sights, likely in 20 gauge. I prefer the 28 gauge myself, but unless you plan ahead and stock up on ammunition, you may not find 28 gauge ammunition at the smaller stores.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:32 AM

I think that is either a CBC or a Boito made gun.
In haven't shot one of those yet but have quite a bit of experience with other Boitos, and they are a cheaper made gun but serviceable.
They tend to be a bit heavier than guns like the Yildiz.
I would buy a 20 before a 410 unless the deal was a super one.
Cat
Old 12-20-2016, 12:51 PM

Default last I heard made in Brazil

I am with Cat believing they are a serviceable entrance level shotgun so fit and finish and some durability/reliability will be sacrificed. If you are going to shoot 200 rounds a year it wont matter. If you are going to take up sporting clays, trap or skeet and shoot 200 rounds a day I would say buy a more reliable brand that has proven it will stand up to thousands and thousands of rounds annually. Depending on fit Beretta, Benelli and Browning are reliable and stand the test of time.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:25 PM

First~what I have experience with. I think 20ga is a much better choice than .410 for grouse, period. Cheaper shells too. Try as I did, I struggled to find anything .410 was good for, still like owning one. (when I did)

I've shot a Stoeger O/U in 12ga. Worked just fine. Shooting it, you know you're not using something Browning Citori-grade or better, but the thing shot well. The one I used had extractors, not ejectors. Again fine, but not preferred. Re: the sights~for the he** of it, I've shot trap with my rifle-sight, 870P barrel and with a bit of practice, it was working fine. I wouldn't really let the sights hold you back, just practice with some clays. Is that arrangement as good as a bead? No, but having such a short sight radius...might work almost as well.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:36 AM

I would prefer a 20 to a 410. Don't like or need sights. I would prefer any brand before Stoeger.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:23 PM

A Baikal single shot will do you just as well, if you are ground or tree swatting chickens and want a light gun to carry. The underlever is quick to use and reload if you have more than one bird there. A short barreled o/u like that, is fast handling, but also harder to point and follow thru with, on flying birds. They don't steady up the same way a longer barrel does. And a 2-3/4" 12 ga will do nicely for what is needed for chickens when you use the light loads, like 7/8oz or 1oz.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:50 PM

I have an 18" barrel O/U in 20 gauge with extractors and screw in chokes. I got it REALLY cheap (about $400 from Corwin Arms) and thought it looked like a cool gun that was easy to carry on a quad or behind the truck seat.

They are pretty light and even with light target loads it has a noticeable kick and pretty good muzzle blast. For about $300 more than the Stoeger you can find a used Citori fixed choke with 24 or 26" barrels in 20 gauge or a CZ. Either will make a lot better gun for wing shooting. I find the 18" barrels good for tree or ground swatting but not great for wing shooting and I am a reasonably good wing shot. Just not enough sight plane for good wing shooting. The short barrel and sights does however shoot slugs very accurately to about 90 yards so the gun doubles for bear protection quite nicely.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:43 AM

Default 20 gauge Stoeger

I have shot a friends 20 gauge Stoeger with a 26" barrel many times. We use it for trap shooting pheasants and hungarian partridge. My friend shoots a 410 for pheasant and rough grouse. He has been shooting it for 40 years and is very accurate with it. We like the fact that the 410 puts less pellets into the bird if we can find one at tall. I use a 22 for roughies and I am looking for a 410 over and under because I seem to miss the head shots now with a 22 but my hunting buddy backs me up with the 410 and we don't have any issues. Nice and light to walk around with.
I see guys hunting with 12 gauge for rough grouse. I think it is way too much gun.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:36 PM

For what you describe an o/u wpuld be my choice. There will be the occasional wing shooting and I find they just swing better (though with you a 20" you will really have to ficus on your follow through)

I bought a stoeger condor 12 gauge for shooting ducks out of my kayak. It has served me well over the years. Easy to maintain, never fails and takes a beating. And if all else fails I won't feel bad about using it as a paddle.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisman View Post
I have shot a friends 20 gauge Stoeger with a 26" barrel many times. We use it for trap shooting pheasants and hungarian partridge. My friend shoots a 410 for pheasant and rough grouse. He has been shooting it for 40 years and is very accurate with it. We like the fact that the 410 puts less pellets into the bird if we can find one at tall. I use a 22 for roughies and I am looking for a 410 over and under because I seem to miss the head shots now with a 22 but my hunting buddy backs me up with the 410 and we don't have any issues. Nice and light to walk around with.
I see guys hunting with 12 gauge for rough grouse. I think it is way too much gun.
If by at tall do you mean at all? If so are you saying that no pellets hit the bird and they die? Do they die of fright or hit at tree in an attempt to get away from such an awesome duo?
Old 01-07-2017, 06:52 PM

I had the same gun in .410 and got rid of it because it was too heavy for grouse gun. I now carry single shot ranger.