Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-17-2016, 07:36 PM

Default best cam locks for coyote?

What's everyone's favorite cam lock for coyotes?
Old 12-18-2016, 12:58 PM

I don't snare a ton but have had good luck with and like his new lightning lock. His current,revised one with four sharp teeth is much sturdier than the first run. Coupled with his powersnare setup it puts coyotes down fast. Have yet to have a coyote break one.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:01 PM

Default Best cam locks

I am having very good results with Death Blow cam locks. I get them for the best deal from F&T Fur in Minnisota. Google them.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:22 PM

Toothed cam locks. I file my own.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:04 PM

I agree toothed cam locks are the way to go. However they are not all created equal. I've had batches that you can re use multiple times and the teeth are still sharp. And I've had batches where the teeth are so soft they are barely good for one catch. For the life of me I can't remember which is which from halfords.

I do touch them up with a file if they need it, but those soft ones aren't even worth a filing.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
I am having very good results with Death Blow cam locks. I get them for the best deal from F&T Fur in Minnisota. Google them.
Me too , but from Dakotaline .
Old 12-18-2016, 08:37 PM

Ive had a buddy with Death Blow issues on 2 catches and the lock breaking. I have heard multiple issues with the lightning lock but think it has been fixed since.
The best results I have had are with the Toothed camlocks from Halfords. Not sure what they are called but they have worked well for me.
I have had massive issues with Micros. They work well for lynx though but will back off with heavy critters.
I really like Ambergs and have had great results with them as well.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:41 PM

just ordered some senneker lightening locks. I'll give them a try
Old 12-18-2016, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Ive had a buddy with Death Blow issues on 2 catches and the lock breaking. I have heard multiple issues with the lightning lock but think it has been fixed since.
The best results I have had are with the Toothed camlocks from Halfords. Not sure what they are called but they have worked well for me.
I have had massive issues with Micros. They work well for lynx though but will back off with heavy critters.
what issues? I'd just like to know so I can decide to cancel my order or not.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:18 PM

Senneker Lightning locks for me!
Don't let the size fool you. They are strong.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmonkey View Post
what issues? I'd just like to know so I can decide to cancel my order or not.
They break. I believe GBoe has even had it happen but could be mistaken.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:06 AM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=160607

http://www.trapper.ca/cnta/viewtopic...d9c293968c0cd4

A quick search and found a few with issues already!!

Not sure if it has been fixed or not but I have always stayed clear of them after hearing a few stories and reading up on some issues.

Good luck
Old 12-19-2016, 01:38 PM

His most recent batch is much better.The originals had a tendency to break.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=160607

http://www.trapper.ca/cnta/viewtopic...d9c293968c0cd4

A quick search and found a few with issues already!!

Not sure if it has been fixed or not but I have always stayed clear of them after hearing a few stories and reading up on some issues.

Good luck
well I bought 50 from halfords.. I'll be pretty ticked off if the quality hasn't improved if Halfords acknowledged in 2013 they were junk and said they might not carry them in the future.

When they arrive I'll put one in the vice and see how it holds up. If it's brittle I'll send them back.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:31 PM

I am sure Marty can chime in and set the record straight. I would think if there were bad ones they should have been tossed.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:53 PM

I'am using the the new run of Lighting Locks from Marty, they been performing well on 40 plus coyotes.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:29 PM
AO Sponsor

I guess it's that time of year again for our annual exercise.

The new runs of the Lightning Locks are excellent and are not flawed.

However, if you want to break them in a vice, they will break.

It is the only lock that I want to use. I'm still using some Bridger Camlocks with mixed results. The Lightning Lock kills better than death blow locks and are stronger.

Lightning Locks and Death blows are not stamped locks, more like a poured lock. It is a necessary process to build a lock this way if you want sharp teeth. We build locks that have sharp teeth so we can kill our animals humanely, and if we lose a very occasional animal in the process so be it. We must progress so that idiot and his buddies that keep frequenting this forum to look for garbage on us, which they do daily, hopefully soon they will be unable to find any.

There is no process or monies to develope the next generation of trapping and snaring products and the clock is ticking. Sometimes bad things can happen, my deepest apologies. We all lost a few animals, yes, please call it in the name of progress?
Old 12-21-2016, 06:52 AM

Definetly always the way I seen it too. The progress in snaring tackle within the last decade should have our respect for the pioneers who have taken it where it is. For my personal preference I stand behind the Senneker systems. I even to this day continue to use first generation lightning locks as well as the newest ones. Has there been 1% losses along the way you bet. But a price worth paying for very a large increase in performance. Besides the aggressive nature of the lightning lock I love how it is probably as near invisible as you get in a cam lock. Long winded way of saying my vote is for the lightning lock hands down!!!
Old 12-21-2016, 07:45 AM
AO Sponsor

Thanks for the vote of confidence! There have been three runs of the 1/16" lock. The first was excellent but they had aluminum rivets which is a no no, but the lock performed super, I used and reused them to this day but it is time to retire them. The second run was bad and we garbaged nearly 150,000 and were compensated for only 1/3. Then I gave up but they came back and started sending samples of which I was most skeptical, easy to make a good sample but what about the production run? So we tried it again and they made us excellent locks, my agent/purchaser firing the one company that made the bad stuff and went to a much better company.

So the good locks either had an aluminum rivet or else had 4 teeth instead of 6.

I'd say more but that idiot is reading every post and plotting against us and would try to use every word against us, not that he is very smart but his counterpart, even tho it sounds like his scientific community ran him off, has some credentials.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:07 AM
AO Sponsor

I guess that was a bona fide troll thread... and I fell for it
Old 12-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Banned

Maybe the next big thing for coyote snares should be cam locks with rivets that act as BAD's. Cam locks with 265# or 385# rivets so it's a cam lock and BAD all in one.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:45 PM

I have been using the Lightning lock from the start, and can say that it did have some hiccups along the way. The first and last run are top notch. The magnum springs are lethal in combination with the Lightning lock. Coyotes are Dead in no time with little to no struggle.

I would like to thank Marty for his contributions to the industry.

Paul
Old 12-22-2016, 10:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Why is it that they are backing off....are they plugging with hair ???
Old 12-22-2016, 10:49 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=HunterDave;3423015]Maybe the next big thing for coyote snares should be cam locks with rivets that act as BAD's.

Say Dave, wouldn't you be loosing half of your camlock if the BAD were incorporated ???
Old 12-23-2016, 12:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
Say Dave, wouldn't you be loosing half of your camlock if the BAD were incorporated ???
Well, I guess that it's back to the drawing board.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:34 AM
AO Sponsor

Shear pin Camlocks were developed decades ago in the USA, yes you lose half your lock, but saving big game and livestock is worth it. A problem with re-use is not knowing the condition of the shear pin, and now with killing springs, the shear pin values would have to be even lower than ever before. Th Medvetz Camlocks would likely have worked, but were likely too sloppy to achieve good lock up, and the Mullins Shear Pin was built way too heavy to have any significant value.

They were never popular, probably because trappers were too cheap to lose a part.

Micro locks are likely going to be more effective on 7x7 than 1x19, but most hole locks will blow out as soon as they are engaged.

Last edited by Marty S; 12-23-2016 at 07:40 AM.