Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-13-2016, 11:17 AM

Default How I mark and check snares

I use a drag on snares. When I cut a drag with ax, at top of drag, there is a slanting cut. When planing and making the set, this slanting cut will be facing my normal line of travel. This slanting cut is visible, if I dont see it then I know to go get my coyote. I dont totally trust even when I see the blaze mark ,so every 3-4 checks I may go closer to make sure the set is functional. But try not to disturb anything. The slanting cut does not pile up with snow or be noticed by other people like a ribbon used to mark set location.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:22 PM

Cant use a drag where Im at , nothing to catch it on . I dont like to over mark my sets with a ribbon but it helps so I can check from a distance . I use flagging tape , blue in color and just a short piece . It isnt really visible like the red or orange and doesnt stand out as much . You have to be looking for it to see it .
Old 12-13-2016, 06:39 PM

I agree with H380 , I keep my flagging small and subtle , I had some big visible ones my first year and had two disappear on me . Now it's stealthy ninja setting and checking , no lost snares or coyotes since !!!