Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-11-2016, 08:08 PM

Default snare distance from bait

Hi fellas,

Just started a new bait site last weekend intended for wolves. Some roadkill, ribcage from deer, beaver carcasses, etc. There were no tracks at the time, so I just hung 1/2 dozen snares on adjacent obvious trails in the bush. All 6 were within 60 ft of the bait. Checked today and had 2 coyotes, but they were badly picked over from ravens. Too badly picked on to salvage. No wolf tracks in the area thus far.

I'm thinking this is way to close to the bait? Ravens moved from the bait to the dead coyotes? There are definitely more obvious coyote trails after a week of the bait being set up so I was thinking of hammering the trails this week with more snares. What is your nearest distance from your bait? Thanks for your help. First time I've lost a coyote to a bird.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:14 PM

I set from 20-100 yards away how long was it between checks. I find more bait less interest the crows have in picking at coyotes.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboe8 View Post
I set from 20-100 yards away how long was it between checks. I find more bait less interest the crows have in picking at coyotes.
Gboe

It was 7 days between checks. When snaring farmland coyotes I check every 2-3 days, but this is a much more remote area out in the sticks, so am generally limited to once a week. I wondered if I should find a way to check mid week? From the way these two yotes were picked over I was guessing that the ravens started on them before they froze. Its been -20 to -30 here this week, so I was guessing within a day after being caught.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:04 PM

I find by day four the birds start getting to them. I check ever three to four days. On my check Saturday it had been four days and I had one the birds started on which was frozen solid, I was lucky enough it was salavagable. I would try to check mid week if at all possible. But I know how hard that can be with work, if you have to travel aways.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:44 PM

For sure will make a difference. Probably no substitute for more regular checks. Usually a weekend outing with the boy, but perhaps ol dad gets some quiet time checking traps too. going to set a bunch of snares next weekend (or maybe mid week on my own). Will post some pictures of the results or sets. There certainly was some regular trails the dogs seemed to by coming in on.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:56 PM

Good luck looking forward to some pictures.
Old 12-11-2016, 10:47 PM

Here is a pic of hauling out the bait for now. Hopefully results to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Set roughly the same as me and yes the birds tend to be more of a pain when the baitpile runs low . I never go longer than a 2 daycheck . I left a damaged one near where it was caught last year and on the next check I had another in the same spot and it was destroyed too , so now I haul any damaged ones out of the area , I see no reason to teach birds to eat them .
Old 12-12-2016, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Set roughly the same as me and yes the birds tend to be more of a pain when the baitpile runs low . I never go longer than a 2 daycheck . I left a damaged one near where it was caught last year and on the next check I had another in the same spot and it was destroyed too , so now I haul any damaged ones out of the area , I see no reason to teach birds to eat them .
i use my skun coyote's as a bird attractor about 100yds away from bait seems to concentrate them there and have only lost one to birds from the 100+ I have taken over last few years and my check is 3 days max less if warmer
Old 12-12-2016, 06:23 PM
Banned

Right on cue.......I played catch up in the shed this weekend so I didn't do my usual daily checks. At one bait site I had 5 coyotes since Friday and the birds got at two of them. They were about 30 yards from the bait so distance doesn't seem to have been an issue. Fortunately, I think that I can salvage the coyotes but I'm sure that they will grade lower due to the sewing. I'm going to say that it has everything to do with the frequency of the checks and nothing to do with the distance from the bait. That's my unscientific opinion.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Right on cue.......I played catch up in the shed this weekend so I didn't do my usual daily checks. At one bait site I had 5 coyotes since Friday and the birds got at two of them. They were about 30 yards from the bait so distance doesn't seem to have been an issue. Fortunately, I think that I can salvage the coyotes but I'm sure that they will grade lower due to the sewing. I'm going to say that it has everything to do with the frequency of the checks and nothing to do with the distance from the bait. That's my unscientific opinion.
Guess I have to leave work early a couple days a week.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Good luck looking forward to some pictures.

Checking every 3 days. Had a good day today. 3 coyotes. No bird issues. Hauled another roadkill. Yet to see any wolf tracks in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2016, 05:21 PM

Nice catch pics Camdec! I noticed in the third pic your BAD is twisted up on the lock. It seems to be working for you but I've never seen them hung like that. It's just something I noticed and thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:00 PM

Right on nice work!!
Old 12-18-2016, 06:48 PM

jealous!! thanks for sharing
Old 12-18-2016, 06:58 PM

Default Wild TV

Just recently seen the show , "Trappers Inc " , show on wild TV .. Rich Mellon had a guest on and this very topic .. Fantastic show .... put out I think 12 snares for the first time on a site .. got 4 wolves ... very informative .. well done ....
Old 12-18-2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
Nice catch pics Camdec! I noticed in the third pic your BAD is twisted up on the lock. It seems to be working for you but I've never seen them hung like that. It's just something I noticed and thought it was worth mentioning.
Nice spot. You are correct. I recall setting this one and for some reason it made a nicer round loop when the kill spring rested against the snare wire above. But the BAD is twisted. Will have to correct next check. Thanks for pointing out.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:07 PM
Banned

Congrats Camdec!
Old 12-19-2016, 10:30 PM

Some nice catches Cam.