Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-10-2016, 05:28 PM

Default Shoulder mites

Hey guys, picked up 3 more yotes today. 2 have shoulder mites. You ship them to auction anyway or toss them??
Thanks, rob
Old 12-10-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katts69 View Post
Hey guys, picked up 3 more yotes today. 2 have shoulder mites. You ship them to auction anyway or toss them??
Thanks, rob
Toss them
Old 12-11-2016, 07:22 PM

Yep. It's one in four around here. Almost prefer calling so I can have a good look at them. Fur market is pretty selective right now.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Yep. It's one in four around here. Almost prefer calling so I can have a good look at them. Fur market is pretty selective right now.
Still good to pop every single one regardless of coat quality

LC
Old 12-11-2016, 09:39 PM

Thanks guys. I am Not talking full blown down to the skin. Just a few spots of hair loss. Would you still toss them? Thanks, rob
Old 12-11-2016, 10:40 PM
AO Sponsor

The last sale I was at, Nafa sale, I spent quite a bit of time looking through the damage lots to see what's being put where. In the samples that I looked at, the DGD1, DGD2, and DGD3 coyotes where almost all lice coyotes of varying degrees, and of them, most were in the DGD3 lots, and the DGD3 is pretty poor $$$. For the uninitiated, let's say a DGD1 is (roughly) $22, a DGD2 $15 and a DGD3 $5 ???

Unless the lice damage is minimal, might as well huck them out. It's strange how the lice coyotes have been getting hit so hard, but my guess is because Canada Goose values the grotzen very highly in contrast to it being considered value-less before they came along, the grotzen being the wild looking patch of extra long guard hair in the back of the coyote.

But one would think that somebody would just love to pick up these otherwise high value 1/2 skins??? I guess the Chinese have been loving every minute of it. Funny, these coyotes with half a pelt for $5 instead of $100, my math just can't make any sense of it?
Old 12-11-2016, 10:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katts69 View Post
Thanks guys. I am Not talking full blown down to the skin. Just a few spots of hair loss. Would you still toss them? Thanks, rob
You're better off posting a picture, Rob, so people understand what you are talking about.

A couple of years ago I tried cutting out the area on the shoulders effected by the mites and sewing. It didn't do any good and I just wasted my time.....it was still just a $10 coyote. Failed experiment. They get thrown out now.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:24 AM

I think Marty's post is of some value to a few people willing to go the extra mile . If you kept the lice one and home tanned it , the 2/3 of a pelt would definitely have some value to people that do home crafts , gloves , etc ! The value added side this could Benefit someone with some one with a little extra time to salvage this resource ! Less wasted pelts and more income seems like a good thing to me . Gonna look into it myself !
Old 12-12-2016, 11:45 AM
Banned

Tanning those shoulder mite coyotes is a great idea for someone that has the time to do it. It'd be a nice little niche for someone. As of this morning I have someone that wants my shoulder mite coyotes to practice putting up coyotes and tanning them. Free coyotes.....you can't beat that!
Old 12-12-2016, 10:21 PM

Glad we don't have any shoulder mite coyotes in our area yet , hope it stays that way .
Old 12-13-2016, 07:07 PM

The ones in my area look great except for the dark shoulder. Sometimes just one side. Still crops on the ground and never seen so many big fat mice so I been letting them live. Cut back on the snares and footholds and been doing more calling. Maybe we just need a real winter for a change. Doesn't seem worse than last year hope it sorts itself out.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Since I can't catch and release, dusting them with louse powder isn't feasable. I dust them with a 52 gr.pill. I'd like to burn the carcass but I can't make it happen in the field and I'm not bringing them home.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-13-2016, 07:58 PM

For your info Katts, last year I sent 5 coyotes to the auction that had shoulder mites just to see if it was worth it and I received less than 5 $ for each ... so definitely not worth it for me !