Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-10-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmparker View Post
nice pics dave. i can sure see the benefit of pre baiting. i got such a late start this year i felt like i didn't have time to not hang snares right away. i hope you share a few pics of the snares in those locations dave! as well as the coyotes you will catch

i think we are all impressed with H380s work in those plains!
Not having that stellar of a year this year jm , one nice male today but numbers seem to be down , or maybe they are still just spooky from deer season .. hoping the latter .
Old 12-11-2016, 01:25 AM
Gone Hunting

My dad taught me that when a Coyote turns back right at the snare it is because he smelled it.

He taught me to hang my snares in a Spruce or Pine tree for a week before setting them out.
And he taught me to scout well before the season and to walk in on one path and out on the same footsteps and to not move any more the absolutely necessary while making my sets.

I've never had a Coyote or Fox turn away from one of my sets.
Luck maybe, or maybe dad knew what he was talking about.

Then again it could be because I have never used bait when snaring Fox and Coyote. I set their regular trails and for me that works.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-11-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
My dad taught me that when a Coyote turns back right at the snare it is because he smelled it.

He taught me to hang my snares in a Spruce or Pine tree for a week before setting them out.
And he taught me to scout well before the season and to walk in on one path and out on the same footsteps and to not move any more the absolutely necessary while making my sets.

I've never had a Coyote or Fox turn away from one of my sets.
Luck maybe, or maybe dad knew what he was talking about.

Then again it could be because I have never used bait when snaring Fox and Coyote. I set their regular trails and for me that works.
All is good advice , I store my snares in one gallon tincans with a sealable lid and fill it with sage leaves and grass from snaring area , the smell is noticeable when I remove the lid . Possible that maybe some human scent remains . Hoping the snow washes the area somewhat clean .
Old 12-11-2016, 08:17 PM

caught one coyote at this site today. better than nothin! i probably left some scent on the snares when i set them with a pair of questionable leather gloves. it was just too cold to use rubber gloves
Old 12-12-2016, 11:30 AM

Lots of guys set snares with bare hands all the time , don't stress too much about that . No gas or other obnoxious smells , but bare hands isn't an issue. The set location is the most important factor , pick the best spots that require minimal blocking or camouflage and it's almost always a full snare at some point . Good luck
Old 12-12-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
Lots of guys set snares with bare hands all the time , don't stress too much about that . No gas or other obnoxious smells , but bare hands isn't an issue. The set location is the most important factor , pick the best spots that require minimal blocking or camouflage and it's almost always a full snare at some point . Good luck
I've done the whole spectrum from setting very clean snares with only gloved hands to setting what I would consider very dirty snares with dirty bare hands. I haven't noticed a difference in catch rates. I don't like setting dirty snares but I did it this year with some snares I had left over from last year. They caught coyotes. I've since started setting clean snares and do feel better about it though. So I would agree with crazyfish.

Edit- How dirty you say? How about they sat in the back seat of my pickup since I picked them up in February until I set them this fall. The engine went in this truck in April so it got parked for the summer until I repaired it in October. Mice got into the truck bad enough it needed a thorough cleaning. I smoke cigarettes in this truck as well. I certainly don't recommend doing this to your snares but it might give some perspective on how much I got away with. I've seen one instance of a refusal this year and I blame the set. I set it in a too restricted spot which didn't look natural (although I didn't change a thing at the set)

Last edited by Tfng; 12-12-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Banned

The farmland coyotes that I catch are used to human activity and smells so scent is not a big factour for me. I would imagine that scent would be an issue with bush coyotes that aren't used to humans though. I set bare hands or half decently clean gloves and it's not an issue. The only thing that I noticed is that when I go into a site and hang a dozen snares it usually takes two or three days before I start catching coyotes. If it's from my scent in the bush it seems to dissipate fairly quickly. I guess that managing your scent doesn't hurt but I found that for the coyotes that I snare it's not a big deal.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:41 PM

Yes I'm snaring farmland Hunterdave.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:45 PM
Banned

I finally found time to hang 8 snares at my newest bait site. This is the first time that I'm snaring an area with minimal undergrowth so constructive criticism is encouraged. I'm curious as to how I do especially with how bright the moon is lately.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:52 PM

Dave, are you snaring in my backyard ??
Old 12-14-2016, 07:45 PM

Dave your first three pics look too heavily fenced imo. I am a minimalist. I hang a snare over the tracks....i might us a blade of grass to deflect him toward the snare but that's pretty much it. I have no doubt your snares will hook up. But it might take different coyotes than are patterned there now. But what do I know at the end of the day. You do pretty good on the coyotes so I you obviously know what your doing.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:51 PM

Sets look pretty good Dave , but like mine , that darn spring sure does show up and I believe that is what the coyote sees and causes him to refuse . Ive tried covering it with a twig , grass , anything to breakup its outline but hard to do . Set 9 snares of my own today painted white and they disappear .... except for the spring .
Old 12-14-2016, 09:41 PM

hope to see some coyote pics in those snares soon dave!

do you guys have ideas for coyotes traveling on truck tracks in a stubble field? i have many coyotes on the truck trail that i use to access the bait site. anybody have some ideas?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmparker View Post
hope to see some coyote pics in those snares soon dave!

do you guys have ideas for coyotes traveling on truck tracks in a stubble field? i have many coyotes on the truck trail that i use to access the bait site. anybody have some ideas?
They run my truck tracks lots, sometimes for a half mile or more. Sometimes I'll drive across the edge of a small bush or through some grass along the way and set snares there. Other than that I think I eventually catch them prowling around the bait. I've thought about setting some snares right in the stubble. Some of the canola is cut fairly high.

I'd like to set footholds in the tracks but don't want to do a 24hr check.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:19 AM
Gone Hunting

Good looking sets Dave. Pretty much the way I do it with one exception that I can see.

I use drags, a eight or ten foot dry pole about an inch and a half in diameter or larger, and no hint of rot. It has to be strong enough that a Coyote can't break it or chew through it.

I'd collect dry spruce poles, my preferred drag, before the season and set them up with snares. Then I'd hang them in bundles, in a Spruce or pine.

That way I could transport them to the set location on my Skidoo sleigh and walk the last 100 feet in, make the set and be on my way out in under five minutes. No fuss, no scent.

H380 mentions springs. I don't see springs but then I don't know what they look like either. I never used springs thus the use of a drag. I was told and learned the hard way that you can't anchor a snare solid.
Well at least it's not a good idea.

I had one Coyote wedge the drag between two trees so it was a solid hook up and it held. So I thought maybe the advice about using a drag maybe wasn't all that true after all so I set a few snares anchored to trees. Big mistake.
I lost every Coyote those snares caught. So I went back to using drags.

I often thought a spring would allow for a solid anchor but back then there wasn't anything of the sort on the market and I didn't put in the time to develop my own system.

Instead I started looking at using Conibears for Fox and Coyote.
I had very limited success but I believe if I had spent the time I would have solved all the issues with the idea.
One very promising set I worked on used a Coni pegged on a tree.
I would have to make a drawing to get the idea across and right now I have too little time for that.

Anyway, the idea was that the trap was set in such a way so that when it fired the closing jaws would throw the trap out away from the tree in a rather violent fashion.
The second key to the set was that the bait was in front of the trap and the trigger so the animal did not have to touch or even get all that close to the metal. The bait simply hung in front of the trap with a string from it to the trigger. A slight pull on the bait and the trap would fire and jump out and catch the animal.

It did work but it needed refinement.

The reason for all this was when it worked there was no fight. The trap dispatched the catch on the spot, and it was virtually Deer and bird proof.
It also greatly reduced the need for scent elimination, and it would take anything larger then a Marten.

I built my own snares, there wasn't any worth having on the market back then but making snares took up a lot of time I would have rather spent on other things, so I was looking for an alternative and coni's seemed to have promise. I could carry a couple dozen 330s in my sleigh and they were 100 percent reusable. the snares seldom were.

Coyote were never my main income, there weren't a lot around and they weren't high value Coyotes like your Prairie Coyotes. Ours were scruffy and course in comparison.
I did set for them but not a lot of sets. Typically a couple of dozen sets is all I'd have out at one time.
Most of my effort went into snaring Beaver and trapping Marten and Fisher, and Lynx when there were around.

I would never have replaced the snares totally, I knew that, but where a coni would work it did offer considerable advantage over using snares.

For one, I often had to track the catch a fair distance from the set to find it, and a Coyote snare did not work well for anything other then Coyotes.
I was after all, a generalist. Took a bit of everything my line held, from Squirrel to Bears.

I trapped the bush, registered trap line #1285, that was my line. It's all bush, no development of any sort. No roads, no oil wells, no farm land. Nothing but bush for miles in every direction.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-16-2016, 10:09 AM

Keg, I like your advice and mention of no oil wells/logging etc. on your line. The south end of our line was solid pine bush until this year. In last 6 months probably had 60 pieces of equipment working building roads, man made fracking lakes, lease sites and ridiculous amount of logging. really raised hell with our fur. Even the grizzly bears have high tailed it out of the country.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:49 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Keg, I like your advice and mention of no oil wells/logging etc. on your line. The south end of our line was solid pine bush until this year. In last 6 months probably had 60 pieces of equipment working building roads, man made fracking lakes, lease sites and ridiculous amount of logging. really raised hell with our fur. Even the grizzly bears have high tailed it out of the country.
That's too bad. Industry sure can ruin a good line.

The line I had will be one of the last to suffer that fate. It's remote, no oil has ever been found there, the timber is small and scruffy for the most part and it's cut up with deep river gullies.
Plus you have to cross the Peace to get to it. There are no roads in from the east within any workable distance, even for a seismic crew.

I turned the line over to my step brother. He did pay for materials and equipment I turned over to him but that was not part of the deal. Just something he insisted on doing for his own conscience I guess.

I tell people I sold it. it's simpler that way, but I didn't really sell it. What I sold was not part of the origenal deal and not part of the line strictly speaking.
It was Skidoos, traps, stretchers ext.
I make a killer Wolf stretcher. I invented my own hinge for split board stretchers that allows over 60 degrees of swing and zero twist throughout it's range of movement.
My step brother wanted those in the worst way. I wanted to hang onto them for a while, so a compromise was reached and he paid for stuff I had given to him for nothing. I didn't ask for it, he insisted. What was I supposed to do, he's family.

Back to lines. My brothers line was far better then mine until the loggers and oilmen moved in. Now it's not worth trapping.

I tagged along with my uncle when he owned that line. Most years he caught at least several Wolverine, a couple dozen Lynx, a hundred or so Marten a couple dozen Fisher and as many beaver as one cared to do.
Now all there is are Beaver and Squirrel and the occasional Lynx, or Fisher and a few Marten.

My line never produced more then 35 Marten in a year and never more then fifty Beaver. No one ever caught a Wolverine on that line and never a lot of Lynx either, although there were always a few to be caught.
It did produce good numbers of Fisher and Wolves and a ton of Squirrel and Weasel.

I caught a few Coyote every year and a few Fox when they showed up in the area.

I never caught an Otter, there were no Otter on any of the local lines until the last couple of years I trapped and I did catch one Wolverine, on my brothers trap line.
For years he was junior on my line and I on his.

Dad missed out on the first round when registered lines were implemented.
Line 1285 was his first and he was the second trapper to hold that line.
I was the third.
Unfortunately my son has no interest in trapping so it went to someone who I knew would trap it and who is family, all be it adopted.

Other lines in the area have suffer more or less to the same degree as my brothers line has, but the line I had is the same now as it was back in the 60s when dad took it over from the first occupant.
And access is just as difficult.

It was one of those lines you had to live on to trap. It was a six hour skidoo trip to the cabin from the river and the closest road was on the far side from my line. I'd park my truck at the homestead and skidoo in for a couple of weeks at a time. It was a good life and it made a decent living back in the day.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-17-2016, 10:10 AM

Keg, nice history on your Northern family lines. It does demonstrate real well that a remote line untouched by industry still produces fur as it always did in past.