Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-20-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubb View Post
I used to watch this when it was on OLN, It's the best hunting show I've watched and like others have said, it's so much more "real world" than the other hunting shows. I like that he shares everything from the strategy for the hunt to the meat on the table, although i'm not sure i'm going to write down his coyote recipe!

Also if you guys haven't seen his book signing Q&A where a vegan fellow asks why he thinks it's "OK" to hunt, it's a very well spoken sensible answer to a sometimes awkward question we've all been asked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2N0Utg7KYE
What a tremendous, well thought out exchange of ideas. Really good.

I canceled WildTV a couple years back because many of the shows portrayed hunters as kooks quite frankly, particularly some of the locally made shows parading less than Vanity Fair young ladies in cheesy plays to lure viewers, coupled with the worst attempts at humor I have likely ever seen.

Meateater stands in stark contrast to these hooting and hollering hillbillies.

It is a very well done show.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:59 AM

The show is done by Zero Point Zero - the same production company that puts together Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown. Some of the camera ops have feature film experience - the fact they care about what they video is nice after a steady diet of low-rent shows with no attempt at telling a story or showing anything interesting.

His book American Buffalo is really great -- a look at what happened to the buffalo, how it was used by First Nations (every part of the buffalo but not necessarily every part of THIS buffalo) and the role it played in the great plains ecosystem. All that along with an unbelievably bad azz backcountry buffalo hunting story.

I look forward to his podcasts every couple weeks.

Rinella can speak for me pretty much anytime.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:01 AM

I've got to agree. The best hunting show I've seen. Blew through the seasons on Netflix way too fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2016, 10:04 AM

The bc moose episode, I almost like him more after watching him screw up a few times. I love that they didnt edit his mistakes out and that he regrets nothing.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:21 AM

Default Meat Eater

The kids and I enjoy the show too. Here's hoping they add more seasons soon.

In our house, it's called "Educational TV".

Some of our homegrown talent on YouTube is really good too. HugeNuge, for example.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:39 PM

my 3yr old nephew has watched all the episodes on Netflix multiple times and im pretty sure he wishes rinella was his dad haha. His Dad wishes he was rinella too, Little bit of a man crush there.
Old 12-22-2016, 01:45 PM

Wow guys thanks. It's been years since I've watched this show on OLN. Don't have cable anymore and I didn't know it was on Netflix. Looks like I've got something to do for the next couple days... Well that and Christmas of course.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:31 PM

Default Good show

I love his show, and have his hunting guide for small game. Definitely puts hunters in a good light, and for a complete novice like me, the info is invaluable.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:40 PM

Rinella is a very good, well researched writer as well. I read his book about the bison a number of years ago. Great read.

Like the podcast too

Randy Newberg's got a bunch of his tv episodes up on youtube. His show is similar in the sense that it's not high fence staged hunting. He doesn't always succeed. And has a podcast as well.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
Rinella is a very good, well researched writer as well. I read his book about the bison a number of years ago. Great read.

Like the podcast too

Randy Newberg's got a bunch of his tv episodes up on youtube. His show is similar in the sense that it's not high fence staged hunting. He doesn't always succeed. And has a podcast as well.
I am a huge fan of both of them.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:38 AM

I have already watched all the episodes on Netflix. By far one of the better hunting shows that I have ever watched. I love how he's not afraid to show what happens after the shot. I love how he hunts for meat first, and antlers second. My absolute favourite part of this show, is how he ends the show by cooking up a meal with his harvest. Eating parts of the animal that most of us would let go to waste. It's not only a hunting show, it's kind of a video instruction manual. I wish they would load up the rest of the seasons onto Netflix.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:01 AM

Default Check out "The Wild Within"

Also a Steve Rinella show, produced by Zero Point Zero. It was eight episodes that originally aired in 2011, before MeatEater started. It's pretty similar to MeatEater. He does an episode from Peace River where he sets out to harvest a moose, and has to explain to the audience that "the bush" is Canadian slang for wilderness. Great stuff.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:08 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey tango foxtrot View Post
Also a Steve Rinella show, produced by Zero Point Zero. It was eight episodes that originally aired in 2011, before MeatEater started. It's pretty similar to MeatEater. He does an episode from Peace River where he sets out to harvest a moose, and has to explain to the audience that "the bush" is Canadian slang for wilderness. Great stuff.
Thanks just found it!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-23-2016, 10:54 PM

Awesome shows. Watched a few tonight!
Old 12-23-2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy17 View Post
great show, bought the guide to hunting and cooking wild game Vol.1 Highly recommend listening to the podcast as well. imo its the best hunting show I've ever seen.
I recently picked up this book, and really enjoyed it. I watched the two seasons on Netflix and will likely track down the 1st four seasons to watch as well.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRHT View Post
Awesome shows. Watched a few tonight!
Same here. Father in law and I watched the a few too. From delicious looking burgers to "bullet ants" lol
Great show imo
Old 12-24-2016, 12:20 AM

Thanks to this thread, I'm now 11 episodes in on season 5 on Netflix. This is a great series - the 3 episodes in Bolivia were bigger than a 'hunting' show. Really cool.

The hootin' hollerin' bravado & machismo of most other shows really puts me off, and frankly I believe it hurts the sport. This is different and it is awesome. Maybe I'm biased due to being somewhat 'converted', but I think this is a show anyone who's not really into hunting can watch to understand it a lot better. Maybe an anti-hunter too, but that might be a stretch...
Old 12-24-2016, 04:23 PM

The show is great and his meateater book and cookbooks are also very good.

Wish we had more shows like this one.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2016, 09:46 AM

I got the DVD's of his early seasons and have watched them over and over.

I was happy to see some later episodes on Netflix and yes, hopefully more to come.

No question best professional hunter out there. Great author, great chef, great land / hunting advocate.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:14 AM

My four year old daughter likes the show.

I like it but wish they would also cover some of the more technical aspects ie range, shot placement, calibres used etc
Old 12-25-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
My four year old daughter likes the show.

I like it but wish they would also cover some of the more technical aspects ie range, shot placement, calibres used etc
He does cover most of that throughout the various episodes. He just doesn't make a point of going over it every single time. I think its another way he distances himself from run of the mill shows, the technical stuff is flogged to death by pretty much every outdoors media outlet in existence. The meat eater instead try's to capture what other shows are missing rather than re-hashing the same old.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:56 PM

I really enjoy his enthusiasm toward the harvest, and eating what he harvest's. When I watch it I honestly want to pull something out of the freezer and start cooking lol. He does a really good job and I enjoy his cooking episodes, there's a lot to learn from a fellow like him. Also another great show was The Guide Life with Brad Fry. Brad does a great job and doesn't add any phony *****e to his programs.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:08 AM

I see around November 2016 he has now been hooked up with Savage Arms... outstanding for them, but Im a little bit disappointedfor his sake. He has traded in his custom rifle for a Savage 110, and he is now using a cheap as you can get islamic state turkish manufactured Stevens 555 over under. Shame he has to use economy entry level firearms just for the sake of sponsors.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:11 PM

Just saw this show for the first time over the holidays and enjoyed it so much I had to tell my hunting buddies about it.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I'd far rather watch Rinella do his thing than probably 99% of the other product schlockers on tv who can hunt 24/7/365 for free in places most of us can only dream of. At least he eats some/all of what he shoots unlike the rest of them.

Hey Melissa B.? How can you eat all the meat you put down in a calendar year? Oh right. You can't. You're not even home to prepare it. Lets be honest. If you weren't female and one with large schmeebs nobody in the hunting fraternity would even know your name.

Best Rinella I've seen is when he gets charged by the wounded moose and takes a horn in the arse.
I took a guess on the word schmeebs , and got it right lol.

I like the Meat Eater show too it seems to be down to earth. I havent really watched a hunting show in years because of the idiots that are being filmed. I admit i hunt antlers over meat to a point , but im never skunked.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
I see around November 2016 he has now been hooked up with Savage Arms... outstanding for them, but Im a little bit disappointedfor his sake. He has traded in his custom rifle for a Savage 110, and he is now using a cheap as you can get islamic state turkish manufactured Stevens 555 over under. Shame he has to use economy entry level firearms just for the sake of sponsors.
Maybe he's making a statement that hunting doesn't require custom thousand $$ rifles.
Good on him. Heck I even drank the Thompson Center kool aid, its good to see others pulling away from what was once a TC and Mathews only club.

Btw. I rewatched and rewatched his burger episode, "meatloaf" is what's for dinner 😉
Old 01-08-2017, 10:00 AM

There was a good meat eater podcast recently with a conservation officer and Remi warren. Funny stories. Also, I liked hearing about the different hunting regs per state. Some states ban motorized hunting (aka deliberate road hunting).
Old 01-08-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
There was a good meat eater podcast recently with a conservation officer and Remi warren. Funny stories. Also, I liked hearing about the different hunting regs per state. Some states ban motorized hunting (aka deliberate road hunting).
I listen to the podcasts on 'castbox' while I fix laundry. Interesting discussions with intelligent and educated people. Governor of Montana? He is a bright fella.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
I listen to the podcasts on 'castbox' while I fix laundry. Interesting discussions with intelligent and educated people. Governor of Montana? He is a bright fella.

It is such a joy to watch his show unlike most of the other shows out there. He is a very educated, passionate outdoors-man and down to earth guy. Hope to see more of the seasons
Old 01-08-2017, 04:49 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Lets go Netflix....get more of his shows out there

It's a dandy! Heard that term a few times this hunting season chatting with other hunters, go figure.